The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   C3500 is having a change of heart! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=818614)

Stensodog 02-20-2021 05:36 AM

C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
My Crew Cab 6.5td has had a moment, early in the morning i set out to walk the dogs down by the river, without any notice the oil cooler fractured and spat out the majority of the oil. I was on a single track road at the time and rather than stop and block it, i carried on until there was a pullover spot; i got within 30 yards before the death shudder happened. Luckily i had a winch with me, and using strops and trees i managed to park up off the road.

Having been recovered home by two of my son's, i locked the truck and walked away.

I have now calmed down, i was mainly mad at myself for not stopping straight away and making some sort of get home fix.

So what to do, i didn't know what engine to go with, re-build the V8, stick in a gas engine, or go left field.

Well, i have decided to go as far left field as is possible; the truck will be re-born with a Mercedes OM606 (super) turbo diesel. The super comes from the fact that it will have a mechanical fuel pump, a bigger turbo, an anti-judder kit and 400bhp.

Any thoughts and views are welcome.

Tom 02-23-2021 12:30 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
I have no idea what engine that is, but so far I like the plan.

hatzie 02-25-2021 11:32 AM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Is the 3.0L OM606 enough engine for that truck?

Tom 03-01-2021 07:03 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8885228)
Is the 3.0L OM606 enough engine for that truck?

All the new half ton diesels and suburbans are 3.0L 6 cylinder engines....

hatzie 03-02-2021 10:53 AM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
V6 engines last half as long as a V8 in a truck. If that.
When you add a turbocharger the lifespan is even lower.

I am guessing it will get a lot less rough use in the UK than here in the states.

Stensodog 03-05-2021 02:08 AM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Thank you for your comments.

The OM606 is a straight 6 with a reputation for longevity and has the ability to put out stupid amounts of power with only minor adaptions to the stock internals.

I am an old man (nearly), so I am only looking at a mild uplift from 174 bhp to somewhere between 250 - 350 bhp. The engine is currently in a W210 saloon, which is a relatively heavy car, but it also appeared in light and medium Mercedes trucks and European motor homes.

Given that the 6.5 td was only putting out 220 bhp even when turbo assisted, I donít envisage a lack of power and given that it is the C3500 I am not worried about low end torque. A company in the UK has a demonstrator Ford extended cab from the same era, in which they replaced the 7.3 diesel with an OM606 and that puts out a shed load of power, way more than I need - check it out at UKDP on the You Tube.

There is also a guy in the States who has fitted one to an extended cab Chevy and his write up is really well done with many pics I will try to post up a link for your entertainment.

hatzie 03-05-2021 11:47 AM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
There you go. Sounds like a good power plant to transplant into your truck.
Cutting your displacement from 6.5L to 3.0L will help on your road tax too.

Benz made some heavy pigs. I just googled the W210 and it's nearly 2 tons curb weight. A K3500 crew cab isn't going to weigh in at much more than 3,000 lbs curb.

Stensodog 03-06-2021 02:07 AM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Thanks hatzie, much appreciated.

legendman 03-15-2021 10:31 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8888887)
A K3500 crew cab isn't going to weigh in at much more than 3,000 lbs curb.

Should that 3 be a 5, 1998 C3500 reg cab 8ft box curb weight is 4,838lbs.
Crew cab would be a bit more.

hatzie 03-16-2021 11:24 AM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
I can't believe a T400 3500 is over 2 tons actual curb weight. The 3/4 ton 4x4 T400 Suburban is a little under 4,600lbs and those are really heavy machines.

Have you had one on the scales?

The T800 trucks are heavier than the T400's. My GMT800 K2500HD published curb weight is over 5,500lbs. The truck stop scales said it's just a hair under 2 tons without my fat butt in the drivers seat. That's a 1,500 lb discrepancy.

legendman 03-16-2021 12:05 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8895050)
I can't believe a T400 3500 is over 2 tons actual curb weight. The 3/4 ton 4x4 T400 Suburban is a little under 4,600lbs and those are really heavy machines.

Have you had one on the scales?

The T800 trucks are heavier than the T400's. My GMT800 K2500HD published curb weight is over 5,500lbs. The truck stop scales said it's just a hair under 2 tons without my fat butt in the drivers seat. That's a 1,500 lb discrepancy.

My 99 K2500 regular cab with a empty ez-dumper in the back was 6200lbs on the scales at the scrap yard.
Ez-dumper says their 8 footer weighs 787 lbs, so take that off the 6200 and 5400 lbs sounds about right.

hatzie 03-16-2021 05:29 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Interesting. Looks like there's a range. Only way to know is to put it on the scales.

Is 787lbs the dump box or the box and hydraulics? I would expect the lift parts would weigh a significant amount.

legendman 03-16-2021 06:13 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8895229)
Interesting. Looks like there's a range. Only way to know is to put it on the scales.

Is 787lbs the dump box or the box and hydraulics? I would expect the lift parts would weigh a significant amount.

787 is everything. it has a headboard and tarp also.
Surprised they say it weighs that much, I can move it around when I am loading it in the bed to get it lined up and bolted down.

Tom 03-16-2021 06:14 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
My 98 x cab 2wd with one 200lbs passenger was over 5000lbs on a scale at the dump coming out.

Snarl95 03-20-2021 04:14 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8888887)
There you go. Sounds like a good power plant to transplant into your truck.
Cutting your displacement from 6.5L to 3.0L will help on your road tax too.

Benz made some heavy pigs. I just googled the W210 and it's nearly 2 tons curb weight. A K3500 crew cab isn't going to weigh in at much more than 3,000 lbs curb.

My 1995 k3500 cclb weighs over 6000lbs

Snarl95 03-20-2021 04:20 PM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
double post

legendman 04-04-2021 11:14 AM

Re: C3500 is having a change of heart!
 
Weight update took a load of scrap with out the ez-dumper in the back and empty weight was 5420 lbs.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com