The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   How do I keep my hood from doing this after its painted??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772136)

65blackfleetside 09-26-2018 08:52 PM

How do I keep my hood from doing this after its painted???

1 Attachment(s)
So I paid a friend of a friend to prep most of my panels. Panels are all in primer Now and truck is assembled however I am seeing a problem with the sides of my '51 hood. I am not sure what he used but I am assuming its just a skim coat of Bondo as this area was not rusted. Now these thin sides on the hood near the hinges are cracking.

Foot Stomper 09-26-2018 11:25 PM

Re: How do I keep my hood from doing this after its painted???

That's really unfortunate!
You're going to have to remove the bondo from the failing area(s) and fix it correctly. There's no telling what he did wrong until you get it back to bare steel.

65blackfleetside 09-27-2018 09:16 AM

I read somewhere on here a while back about a forum member using a product similar to bondo but it had some added strength to it. I don't remember what it was called?

MP&C 09-27-2018 09:55 AM

Was it soda blasted?

65blackfleetside 09-27-2018 12:11 PM

No it was not soda blasted.

MP&C 09-27-2018 12:46 PM

What type of prep was done under the filler?

65blackfleetside 09-27-2018 07:26 PM

Not sure?
I purchased an epoxy primer for him to use before he did any body work but I didn't watch him do the work.

MP&C 09-27-2018 09:09 PM

If a metal prep such as ospho, etc was used and not neutralized properly, the excess acid could cause a reaction under either epoxy or filler (if either was applied directly over the treated metal) and result in delamination. Whatever the cause, it renders the rest of such repairs suspect. Something to rectify before the expensive part (paint) goes on...

oem4me 09-28-2018 12:49 AM

No sayin what he did or didn't do correctly, but this area looks newly damaged, no?
Not a lot of fillers are going to hang on and take a hard hit/dent without cracking, particularly if they are any thicker than a skim coat.

65blackfleetside 09-28-2018 08:17 AM

The primer and other body work was done 7 months ago when the truck was completely disassembled.

The back sides of these AD hoods have very thin unsupported metal. I could have possibly sprung these sides open while I was adjusting the hood. I don't remember hitting it that hard. but these outside areas could have rubbed the cab during this process?

Either way i am concerned that more body filler will start popping out once I have this expensive base/ clear applied. :-/

How should I go about fixing these areas?

mongocanfly 09-28-2018 09:57 AM

Most filler has alot of flex to it and if done properly can stand alot of abuse....but you'll need to take it all the way down to bare metal and start over...I wouldn't risk it..

MARTINSR 09-28-2018 01:18 PM

I just literally removed filler within the last few days that I used to fill the emblem holes and recesses back there in 1979, I didn't remember how much I had used (kinda hack) and didn't know until I removed it, that is how filler should be, there is NO REASON for it to fail like that.

Brian

GSP7 09-28-2018 06:22 PM

Looks dented to me , but who knows from looking at a pic

54belair 10-25-2018 03:58 PM

This doesn't look to be cracking due to age or even installation method---looks to e that the edge of the hood has been dented or deformed in some way. Without looking at the underside its hard to tell from the photo--but from what I "think" I see I'm going to say its break out due to a dent or deformation of the panel itself.