The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rattle can over Metal Patch Body Filler? is it safe? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=441694)

darkone 01-20-2011 01:35 AM

Rattle can over Metal Patch Body Filler? is it safe?

Hey all,
Ive done a lot of body work with metal patch body filler. it says it should be painted over with a urethane paint. my question is: can i use regular rattle can paint over the body filler to seal it & protect from water? also, will rattle can paint affect the type of paint i ultimately use when painting with primer/base coat/clear?

thanks in advance for any help

mwilliams5891 01-20-2011 01:37 AM

Re: Rattle can over Metal Patch Body Filler? is it safe?

I know it doesn't help....but subscribed

CURSED GEARS 01-20-2011 07:34 AM

I dont recall using spray paint on my truck, but did use spray paint primer while doing my truck. when it was all done i then used regular primer and paint. Its been 10 years and nothing ever peeled, or faded or came through the new paint.

special-K 01-20-2011 08:30 AM

I don't see why not,as far as been rattle can. I don't know about the filler you used but never heard of urethane being required.

bigsnookmaster 01-20-2011 08:36 AM

Home Depot sells Rustoleum Industrial Enamel for about $5 a can. I've used it on several things and it works and covers very well. .02

special-K 01-20-2011 09:18 AM

My friend is a sign painter...letters,pinstripes,air brush,murals,and in this economy does small body jobs and overall paint jobs. He has been a long time believer in using the best and swears by Imron and other top quality paints (been in business 35 years). But,he also will use primer from TSC when keeping price low is important. It's the same primer they put in rattle cans.

67swb72klb 01-20-2011 09:24 AM

realy should use a self etch primer but i have seen others work as well i would not expose it to too much weather it will rust under it

lakeroadster 01-20-2011 09:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Rustoleum has rattle can filler primer. I have used it and it is thick and covers well. Also has an "Any Angle" spray tip and a big comfort finger tip. For rattle can it is the closest thing I have found to real "spray gun" applied primer.

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=11

darkone 01-20-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67swb72klb (Post 4425221)
realy should use a self etch primer but i have seen others work as well i would not expose it to too much weather it will rust under it

can anyone else verify this? i have lots of self etch primer. i actually used self etch on the bare metal underneath the body filler. should i also seal my metal patch & metal glaze with self etch? thanks!

mahanian 01-20-2011 01:42 PM

If you self etched the bare metal I don't see the need to do it again. If you are wanting to protect it from water because you plan to leave it primered for awhile your best bet would be an epoxy primer. In my opinion the primer will make or break a paint job, so this is not the point to cut corners. I would buy a quality epoxy primer and seal up all the metal work. You can use a builder/filler primer later down the road before you block sanding and paint. Filler primer holds moisture and will not seal up your metal work.

darkone 01-20-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahanian (Post 4425618)
If you self etched the bare metal I don't see the need to do it again. If you are wanting to protect it from water because you plan to leave it primered for awhile your best bet would be an epoxy primer. In my opinion the primer will make or break a paint job, so this is not the point to cut corners. I would buy a quality epoxy primer and seal up all the metal work. You can use a builder/filler primer later down the road before you block sanding and paint. Filler primer holds moisture and will not seal up your metal work.

but self etch primer is a good choice? i have a lot of this. can i put a high build primer on after the self etch primer? sanding of course would be done in-between

thanks guys, i just want to avoid any problems

darkone 01-21-2011 08:57 PM

^bump for answer to directly above

darkone 01-23-2011 12:41 AM

bump again for comment 2 ^^?

mahanian 01-23-2011 06:23 PM

I don't know enough about self etch primer to know if it can be relied on as a sealer as well. That would be a question for the primer manufacturer to get a reliable answer. But in my opinion epoxy primer is your best bet if you are going to leave it primed for awhile before paint.