The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   5.3L DBW cruise hookup (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=395093)

Ackattack 03-31-2010 02:56 PM

5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
I'm getting ready to hook up my cruise on my DBW 5.3L

I'll be using a Dakota Digital cruise control switch / turn signal, HND-3.

I lost any/all instructions that came with the cruise control switch. There are 4 wires on it, does anyone know which wires go where? (I have the wiring diagram for the ECM).

Thealien 03-31-2010 04:37 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
I don't think that handle will work. I have bought one of those and returned it. I bought a NOS GM cruise stalk and that will not work either. The LS cruise control needs an on switch signal and then the set/coast and resume/accel are normaly open momentary closed switches. The HND-3 and all the others are normally closed momentary open.

I believe the only one that will work is the square surface mounted switch that dakota digital and rostra CC sell.

short-t 03-31-2010 07:01 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Add a relay to reverse the functions... That is what I am doing with my ididit cruise control switch.

Thealien 03-31-2010 07:16 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by short-t (Post 3893410)
Add a relay to reverse the functions... That is what I am doing with my ididit cruise control switch.

Have you successfully completed the install and it functions correctly?

If so please post a diagram and pictures as I know quite a few who have or are having problems with the cruise.

I have not gotten that far on my engine install but have researched quite a bit. I was considering a relay also but it should be easier than that. Why can't someone just make a lever with the correct switching? There are enough swaps going on it would probably be worth it?

eagleuh1 03-31-2010 07:35 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Couldn't you take a stalk off like a 96 S10 Blazer and install it on the stalk for the turn signal on your truck. I'm almost to this point and was going to try this possibly.

short-t 03-31-2010 08:10 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 3893442)
Have you successfully completed the install and it functions correctly?

If so please post a diagram and pictures as I know quite a few who have or are having problems with the cruise.

I have not gotten that far on my engine install but have researched quite a bit. I was considering a relay also but it should be easier than that. Why can't someone just make a lever with the correct switching? There are enough swaps going on it would probably be worth it?


I can provide you with a diagram, I don't have the time right now. I got the information from John @ Speartech, I had him do my harness.

Ackattack 03-31-2010 08:54 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
I was talking with an electrical technician buddy at work today and we were discussing using some relays too, but if someone has a diagram already it would save some time. I'd like to use this handle since it looks like it should be there.

Ackattack 04-01-2010 05:34 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
OK, I did a little research today and developed a wiring diagram that should work using 2 relays.

There are 2 issues with the Digital Dakota turn signal/cruise switch.

First, the Set button is normally closed, and needs to be normally open

Second, when you push the set button, it energizes the resume/accelerate wire.

Once I get it wired up and working correctly, I will draw up a wiring diagram. Heck, maybe I'll go to the effort and take a bunch of pictures to make a "how to" thread.

Thealien 04-01-2010 07:22 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Please do.

Ackattack 04-01-2010 08:21 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
1 Attachment(s)
OK, here is the diagram I came up with and should work based on the info from the Dakota Digital HND-3 info I found and the '04 ECM wiring diagrams I'm using.

It probably won't be until this weekend that I can install and test it all.

short-t 04-01-2010 09:55 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Ok here what I got from John at Speartech.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...affair/IMG.jpg


My Ididit cruise cont lever.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/P1020690.jpg

Ackattack 04-01-2010 10:15 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by short-t (Post 3895821)
Ok here what I got from John at Speartech.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...affair/IMG.jpg


My Ididit cruise cont lever.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/P1020690.jpg

That may work for the Ididit cruise cont lever. For the DD lever, when you push the "set" button, it jumps the brown power wire to the yellow resume wire....so if you only put the one relay in (to make the set provide 12V when pushed) you would be supplying the TAC module with a "set" and "resume" signal at the same time.

ls1nova71 04-01-2010 10:33 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I'm using. Came off of a 1981 Chevy van, and if you can find one they work great. They're a three wire switch, but you can pop the cover off and replace with a four wire switch (the salvage yards are full of them) and it wires up just like factory. The inside switch is exactly the same, just the wires are different.

Ackattack 04-01-2010 11:29 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 3895914)
Here's what I'm using. Came off of a 1981 Chevy van, and if you can find one they work great. They're a three wire switch, but you can pop the cover off and replace with a four wire switch (the salvage yards are full of them) and it wires up just like factory. The inside switch is exactly the same, just the wires are different.

Nice,

I bet some could order a brand new one if they didn't want to search salvage yards for them.

I had already gotten the DD switch.

speed-racer 04-02-2010 03:02 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
I hooked mine up using another headlight switch. My truck had a manual choke, so I put the extra headlight switch in that hole. Pull the switch to enable cruise, rotate the dimmer on and then off to activate. I didn't really care to have the accel function and wanted to keep everything as factory appearing as possible. My truck looks 100% factory with the exception of the '92 bench seat.

Ackattack 04-02-2010 04:11 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by speed-racer (Post 3896949)
I hooked mine up using another headlight switch. My truck had a manual choke, so I put the extra headlight switch in that hole. Pull the switch to enable cruise, rotate the dimmer on and then off to activate. I didn't really care to have the accel function and wanted to keep everything as factory appearing as possible. My truck looks 100% factory with the exception of the '92 bench seat.

that's kinda cool.

The thought crossed my mind to use a turn signal handle with the wiper switch included in it, and then use the original wiper switch to work my line lock but decided against it for safety reasons. I still need to figure out what I'm going to do for my line lock.

Hart_Rod 04-02-2010 08:54 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Good subject. Can't wait to see some more solutions to this problem.

Thealien 04-11-2010 06:45 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
anybody have their cruise working yet?

speed-racer 04-11-2010 09:44 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 3914094)
anybody have their cruise working yet?

Yep! Use it every day.

Thealien 04-12-2010 05:58 AM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Anybody using a cruise switch have theirs working?

Ackattack 04-18-2010 02:39 AM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
I got mine wired up today, but have not verified it is working correclty.....tomorrow.

Here is the "how to" thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=398006

Ackattack 04-18-2010 05:39 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Tested it out today and it works great! I never knew cruise control was so awesome....ha ha ha

menace121978 09-30-2010 07:10 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 3895914)
Here's what I'm using. Came off of a 1981 Chevy van, and if you can find one they work great. They're a three wire switch, but you can pop the cover off and replace with a four wire switch (the salvage yards are full of them) and it wires up just like factory. The inside switch is exactly the same, just the wires are different.

its the same! my switch was busted up inside the column so it seemed different with all the pieces.

ls1nova71 09-30-2010 11:19 PM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
Well, all I can say is it DOES work. My cruise works perfectly, and the insides ARE the same. You have to start by pulling the set/coast button off (it's just pressed on, and takes very little to pull it off) then use a pick to pull out the star washer that holds the switch in, then pop the cover off and the switch will come out. The three wire switch inside is dimensionally EXACTLY the same as the later model four wire switch. You also have to re-use your original on/off portion of the switch (it to also is just lightly pressed onto the switch) then reassemble by putting the cover back on, put the star washer back in, and just press the set/coast button back on.

I do know what I'm talking about, and if you broke your switch because you didn't know how to take it apart, I apologize for not being more clear about how it's done, but if you were unsure, you should have asked before just tearing into it. Slamming someone on the forum never helps the situation.

menace121978 10-01-2010 12:48 AM

Re: 5.3L DBW cruise hookup
 
i was wrong;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com