The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring 1980 C10 big ten. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=665132)

jgorzitza 03-27-2015 09:45 PM

Restoring 1980 C10 big ten.

Hey folks, after 14 years of sloowwww progress have finally gotten serious about getting this project off the ground. Posts of progress for now, suggestions always welcome.

jgorzitza 03-27-2015 09:59 PM

Re: Restoring 1980 C10 big ten.

5 Attachment(s)
Here is where it sits so far, I purchase a 79 donor for the sheet metal as it was in much better shape.

Also came with a complete fairly new exhaust which I needed and the amount I paid for the truck is what the exhaust would have cost me anyway. Decent b&m shifter in there too. sells for 300 on summit so let's see if I can't recoup some of my cost.

Box and rear bumber off, wire wheeled the frame and did the rear section with kbs rust seal. Took a long darn time. Didn't like the gloss so I covered with flat black and I like how it looks now.

Next up BRAKES.... need new drums or a disc conversion... thoughts???
I need it to be inexpensive or wifey will kill me.. Keep in mind this is Canada and right now the dollar sucks in relation to the US and auto parts here are crazy expensive.

greg64 03-28-2015 01:01 AM

Howdy neighbour! Nice work on the chassis. About the brakes, as nice as rear discs are, they are expensive in the end. I did the conversion on my 64, and what cost a lot was keeping a functioning parking brake. Without the parking brake, the cost falls, but still not to the level of new drums, shoes, cylinders. So if it were me, I'd keep the drums and apply those funds somewhere else in the project.

Let me know what leftovers you have from the 79, I might be interested.

MikeB 03-28-2015 06:25 AM

Your Big 10's rear drum brakes will work just fine, especially if you have the 2-3/4" wide shoes. Just make sure the shoes have the same arc as the drums, so 100% of the shoe surface contacts the drums. Worst case, new drums and good quality shoes are not too expensive, I like Raybestos or Wagner drums and the AC Delco riveted shoes. Do not let the parts store sell you cheap drums that are not finned.

On another note, since 1971, C-10 front disc brakes have been more than adequate. Even the light duty versions from the mid 80s with thinner rotors worked fine. Again, use name brand parts. I like Wagner ThermoQuiet pads.

jgorzitza 03-28-2015 07:15 PM

I wish. Priced out new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders and the spring kit. Up here in the great North 700 was the cheapest I could find. Wholesale pricing at napa... Tried to order from rockauto, Good prices then shipping kicked in. Set of drums 90 bucks. 120 to ship to Canada. Ugh.

greg64 03-28-2015 07:25 PM

I hear ya on the shipping. You'll laugh, but I bought new drums for my c10 from crappy tire for about $60 a side. But that was nearly 20 years ago, and my brakes are the smaller 11x2. 700 seems really high, though.

jgorzitza 03-28-2015 07:40 PM

The 79 has a beauty set of the 11 x 2 but I don't really want to down grade. Anybody know what other vehicles ran the bigger brakes. Maybe I can steal a set from pick a part and get them turned.

jgorzitza 03-31-2015 09:06 PM

Well I caved and bought a new set of brakes from auto value and napa locally. With the price of shipping from the states and the value of our dollar now it worked out almost the same. All in I managed to get the rear setup for about $400, Drums had the most money in 200 bucks for 2. Oh well time to prep and paint em black.

greg64 03-31-2015 09:22 PM

Good stuff. Who wants to cheap out on brakes.

jgorzitza 03-31-2015 11:25 PM

I suppose it's the difference between cheaping out and paying more than I need to for the same parts.

Anyways because the one side completely destroyed itself I need all parts. I can't seem to locate the seperator bar, associated spring and parking brake lever. Any ideas on part numbers for these. Or is this a necessary trip to the pick n pull?

Gregski 04-01-2015 12:56 AM

cool build, more pics please, and did you paint that frame in the winter?

jgorzitza 04-01-2015 08:28 AM

I guess it was technicaly winter but it has been a funny year. It's been in the 20s (about 70° F for those in the US) multiple times since January. I used Kbs rust seal and it needs 13 plus.

jgorzitza 04-01-2015 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, what a pain to find a brake strut, spreader bar, or whatever other name they are called. No local parts house (napa, auto value, bumper to bumper) had a listing for this thing. My one side had all parts gone except the wheel cylinder. Anyways after multiple days searching, including a trip to the pick n pull to find one damaged after dismantle. Vehicle covered in mud and deep in water. yay.

Manufactured by Dorman HELP! line. Part 21147 hopefully should have it Saturday as it was a special order. Who would have though such a simple piece of iron could cause so much trouble.

jgorzitza 04-01-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7114768)
cool build, more pics please, and did you paint that frame in the winter?

Thanks, I will get more pics up tomorrow when I get to working on it again. I have been following your thread and read every page! I must say that is some great work and has pushed me to get my but in gear on mine.

Titomars 04-02-2015 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorzitza (Post 7115931)
Well, what a pain to find a brake strut, spreader bar, or whatever other name they are called. No local parts house (napa, auto value, bumper to bumper) had a listing for this thing. My one side had all parts gone except the wheel cylinder. Anyways after multiple days searching, including a trip to the pick n pull to find one damaged after dismantle. Vehicle covered in mud and deep in water. yay.

Manufactured by Dorman HELP! line. Part 21147 hopefully should have it Saturday as it was a special order. Who would have though such a simple piece of iron could cause so much trouble.

the strut used to come in the self adjuster kit....Back in the day.

jgorzitza 04-02-2015 06:02 PM

More cleaning.... I figured since I made the frame look pretty I should make everything else on the bottom look pretty as well.

New drums - Flat black with high temp paint and cured.

Cleaned up what I could as it sat on the little 3 ton jack stands. Removed the first shock absorber. No Problem. Second one what a pain in the but.... Needed to cut off wheel for that one. Only problem, bought the grinding wheel instead. Oh well just take a bit longer. Finally got it out.

Proceed to getting the rear end painted - need bigger jack stands. Back to the good old princess auto. Some nice 12 ton stands that get pretty darn high. Now I can support the frame and remove the leafs.

SNOW... REALLY.... Was hoping for a productive weekend. Let's hope for just a few flakes.

I have some pictures to upload but I am getting some kind of security token error. So we shall see about that later

jgorzitza 04-02-2015 06:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ok so must be some kind of bug with one of my pictures... Oh well you don't get to see the carnage of how I ended the shock absorber.

jgorzitza 04-02-2015 06:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More goodies. I got some 3M vinyl with wood grain finish in the mail today. The plan is to use it to refresh the bed rails that came factory on the truck. Those things are pricey to buy new so I hope this touch up works good.

Originally when building this truck I was going to lower it, make it a speed demon. Many big plans for a 16 year old when I was first starting the build. Now more mature I suppose, this was my old man's truck he bought it new. I now am planning to restore it back to the original look (although still with some speed. hehehe)

greg64 04-02-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgorzitza (Post 7117019)
More cleaning.... I figured since I made the frame look pretty I should make everything else on the bottom look pretty as well.

New drums - Flat black with high temp paint and cured.

Cleaned up what I could as it sat on the little 3 ton jack stands. Removed the first shock absorber. No Problem. Second one what a pain in the but.... Needed to cut off wheel for that one. Only problem, bought the grinding wheel instead. Oh well just take a bit longer. Finally got it out.

Proceed to getting the rear end painted - need bigger jack stands. Back to the good old princess auto. Some nice 12 ton stands that get pretty darn high. Now I can support the frame and remove the leafs.

SNOW... REALLY.... Was hoping for a productive weekend. Let's hope for just a few flakes.

I have some pictures to upload but I am getting some kind of security token error. So we shall see about that later

I've got four of those princess auto pro-point 12 ton stands. They're great when you want to lift everything up to work on brakes or underneath. I think they lift to 28" if I remember correctly.

jgorzitza 04-02-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7117327)
I've got four of those princess auto pro-point 12 ton stands. They're great when you want to lift everything up to work on brakes or underneath. I think they lift to 28" if I remember correctly.

Yeah they are pretty cool, easier on the pocket book when you work there too.

enaberif 04-02-2015 11:28 PM

LOL snow.. Its what is keeping me from completing my dana44 rebuild LOL.

Looks like you got a good project on your hands.

jgorzitza 04-02-2015 11:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the rear unbolted and started to clean it up. Hopefully it is warm enough tomorrow for the rust seal. I already did the wheel bearings and seals and don't really want to pull the axles for that reason. I shall see how clean I can get it without having to take the brake backing plate off.

Till next time.

jgorzitza 04-02-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7117504)
LOL snow.. Its what is keeping me from completing my dana44 rebuild LOL.

Looks like you got a good project on your hands.

Luckily just a few flakes but it's supposed to be more by Sunday.. I can't believe this Southern Alberta weather this year. Definitely different than I am used too.

jgorzitza 04-02-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7116151)
the strut used to come in the self adjuster kit....Back in the day.

Not having that strut is going to make the underside of my c10 much better looking as I wanted to work on it so bad and missing pieces meant more painting.

jgorzitza 04-03-2015 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
nice fresh paint on the rear, and I even had a helper with the back plates.