The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Go-Kart welding project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=335186)

1970 chev truck 03-23-2009 09:27 PM

Go-Kart welding project

4 Attachment(s)
Hello all
I have been working on a Go-Kart in my Vocational Welding class sinces school started in late August, so far I have most of the frame done. I have a motor for it, a 250 Twin from a 1978 Polaris TX, I copied the old AAEN pipe that was on it and made two new ones for it. I have been working on the front suspension for the past two weeks now, I'm making aluminum A-arms in the unused machine shop at school, I have some pics of them to put here. I will get some pictures of the whole unit sometime in the near future, I plan on this thread being somewhat of a build thread so I'll try to keep it updated.

68C15 04-04-2009 08:18 AM

Re: Go-Kart welding project

when I was in Jr. High I made up some plans for an all wheel drive 4 wheel independant suspension go-kart. but being a young kid I had no money, now that i am older and have kids of my own i again have no money LOL
I was gonna use 3/4" impact extensions and swivels for the axle shafts. I never did work out the transfer case idea though.

bowtieboy93 04-07-2009 06:26 PM

looks good

im building one in school right now

11 hp honda motor
full independent front a-arms and rear swing arm suspension

some kids started it last semester, but did a horrible job so I get to fix their mistakes lol

you will love the independant front, its glides over anything and everything

1970 chev truck 10-22-2009 01:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally have a few more pictures of this go kart I've been workin on for the last year(slowly but surely its gettin done!) The front suspension is just about done, and I finally picked up four used shocks just to get the job done for the time being. I also picked up a nice rack and pinion(if thats what they call it nowadays)from a wrecked toyota, it should work out really good. I have a lot of work to do yet, but its gonna be a long winter here, so I should be able to get a bit done by springtime.
Here are some pics of the front suspension parts I made, and of the engine mount on the swingarm, and the chain tensioner.

1970 chev truck 10-22-2009 01:13 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A couple more pictures

NONHOG 10-22-2009 01:26 AM

Wow , you have some place to run that thing ? It should eat up some ground
quick !

nuke1 10-22-2009 06:32 PM

that thing is COOL! what are you using for spindles?

1970 chev truck 10-23-2009 10:03 PM

I bought the spindles and hubs from Northern tool in Duluth, Mn. The hubs are heavy duty with actual tapered roller bearings instead of just bushings, and the spindles are decent quailiy, I just might end up making a heavier duty set though.

msgross 10-24-2009 01:57 PM

how well will that gearing work out? seems like you would want a larger sprocket, but that engine should be pretty quick so who knows...

1970 chev truck 10-24-2009 06:49 PM

thats just what were trying for now, it can be very easily changed. There are so many varibles with the drive line, with the primary and secondary clutches constantly changing, then the gears in the chain case. But, we'll see how it all works out, if it needs to be changed, then thats an excuse to go to FLEET FARM!!

BB70c10 10-24-2009 06:54 PM

Great job,man.That thing is going to be fun.Look forward to watching the progress.