The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Question on 65 e brake x member (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756772)

ScottH 02-10-2018 03:30 PM

Question on 65 e brake x member

3 Attachment(s)
Working on a 65 swb I recently bought. PO had installed a sbc with a sagina 4 speed trans. Appears that the trans was hitting the original e brake cross member, so PO just chopped it off.

Unlike the PO I want an e brake, so I found an original x member. However when I attempted to install it, I found out why the PO removed it as the trans tail shaft is in the way.

I also have an auto x member which also has the e brake parts on it. Was thinking of using the auto x member as I have another issue with the bell housing x member. The auto x member would eliminate the need for the bell housing x member & solve that issue.

However when I compare the manual e brake x member to the auto x member I noticed there is a difference in where the cables connect.

My question is does this difference in where the e brake cables connect impact on the cables? Already bought all the cables for the manual trans e brake x member.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks
Scott

Ken Cook 02-10-2018 05:36 PM

Re: Question on 65 e brake x member

I just ordered and replaced the in cab cable on my 63’short step side. I noticed when I ordered that there was a lot of different cables.

I would look at the LMC catalog and see what they show.

Clyde65 02-10-2018 06:12 PM

If your needing to replace the cables, just order cables for the 66, they didn’t use the crossmember.

DPowers 02-10-2018 08:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of one from a '65 with 3 speed. From your pics, I dont see a difference in where the cables connect, but I see a difference in length.

racecougar 02-10-2018 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The cables were year and wheelbase specific, not trans specific. You're good to go with the cables you already have.

If the auto crossmember doesn't gain you the clearance you need, there are alternate methods...

raidmagic 02-10-2018 09:32 PM

Hmmm I'm getting ready to put a Saginaw 4 speed in my truck I wonder if I will run into this.

ScottH 02-11-2018 12:41 AM

Thanks for all the great info, much appreciated. Pretty sure I am good 2 go once spring shows up & I can tear her down & start putting it all back correctly.

Raidmagic, you may be ok, depending on the trans, or at least thats a guess. I say that because the Saginaw that came with this truck has a torque tube tailshaft. I mention this because it has some extra casting holes on the back lower part of the trans, which is causing most of the issue here. Apparently this trans was originally in a 81-82 camaro/firebird. Hope that helps, good luck with ur project.

Scott