The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What stuff should i use now before primer for best results (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756831)

WOLFMANmike 02-11-2018 08:10 AM

What stuff should i use now before primer for best results

Ok so ive got my interior cab mostly down to bare metal and im going to use high build primer but what stuff do you all think i need to use to prep the surface and get the best results ? Im doing it in a rattle can and so is the high build primer .... so what should be my next steps and what materials should i buy ? And how should i go about doing this next ? Thanks in advānce for your help and advice ... Happy Truckin

PGSigns 02-11-2018 10:22 AM

Re: What stuff should i use now before primer for best results

Get a gallon of prepsol or other surface cleaner before you spray any paint. Look on the cans you get and see if says its good for bare metal. Most are.
Jimmy

Macdaddy1 02-11-2018 10:51 AM

I use ospho which etches the metal and then has to be rinsedafter 15-30 minutes and and I wipe everything down with acetone and then paint.

ImpalaJim 02-11-2018 06:35 PM

vinegar and water!

hotrodder 02-11-2018 10:29 PM

Go to store that sells paint and body supplies, and get some etch primer. A light coverage coat will do the trick. Several different brands are available. SEM and UPOL are two that are cost effective and user friendly

WOLFMANmike 02-11-2018 11:27 PM

ok so if im understanding you guys are you all saying that i should be using a etching primer instead of a high build ? or are you saying i should do both a etching first and then a high build fallowed by the paint ?

also a neighbor told me something about useing a high tac cloth ? what is the purpose of this cloth ? sorry just want to make sure i understand things before i get stuff for the job . and not buy things i dont need or the wrong stuff ;)

Macdaddy1 02-12-2018 12:33 AM

etching primer then high build paint

oem4me 02-12-2018 01:19 AM

A tack cloth is for freeing the paint-ready surface of tiny loose bits of lint, fuzz, dust that will show up in the wet paint. Not as important in prime coats which will be sanded as opposed to final topcoat.

WOLFMANmike 02-12-2018 01:33 AM

ok so use etching primer 1st .. then lay down high build primer over the etching primer sand that smooth wet sand or dry sand ? then wipe surface with tac cloth and lay down my rattle can paint sound right ?

oem4me 02-12-2018 01:50 AM

Basically yes. Wet sand primer and rinse/wipe dry. Thoroughly blow ALL surfaces and seams dry before wiping with reducer or wax and grease remover, then tack off immediately before topcoating.

yeah_yeah_na 02-12-2018 02:16 AM

Dupont metal conditioner is good on bare metal, its a mild rust killer available from most panel and paint stores. Then etch. If the areas need any filler your will need to use an epoxy urethane etch. PPG do a good one of those. Then your high build primer. Good luck! Share the results.

WOLFMANmike 02-12-2018 05:41 AM

Awesome guys thanks so much next month ill take my list and go and buy the supplies ... thanks for all the help

nsb29 02-12-2018 09:07 AM

One thing I have noticed is it appears everybody is assuming that the inside of your cab is down to bare metal if it still has its original paint it needs to be sanded and scuffed prior to The Epoxie primer but if the inside of your cab is in good condition and you don't have bare metal showing after scuffing you could just use a sealer and then paint but if you have to go with Epoxie primer you have a window of about five days to apply your hi build primer so you have a chemical bond after five days you would have to re-scuff the primer so you have a mechanical bondfor your high build these are just basic rules of painting you should always read the labels and talk to the paint technician where you buy your paint and primer from

tinydb84 02-12-2018 01:20 PM

If you have to do rattle can I would get one of the cans that Eastwood makes and epoxy the bare metal at minimum. You can do 1k over the top and not worry about it rusting afterward.