The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   1972 Medium Blue Highlander Blazer Resto (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=708547)

DeadheadNM 05-30-2016 07:43 PM

1972 Medium Blue Highlander Blazer Resto

5 Attachment(s)
I really wasn’t looking for a new project. But an email arrived from MT from a trustworthy guy (thanks Scott) describing a Highlander Blazer for sale that I couldn’t pass up.

It’s a St. Louis built Hawaiian (medium) blue Highlander 72 Blazer with the original motor, protect-o-plate, in blue plaid. It’s not a promo pack truck and wasn’t equipped with camper mirrors. Being a St. Louis truck, it’s got a double-wall top. Originally sold new in March 1972 by Harloff Chevrolet in Encinitas, CA and passed through four registered owners prior to myself. The original owner kept it for 18 years.

I’m planning a frame-off restoration back to original with a few minor changes. It will be a slow build. The truck was fairly complete and unmolested with intact dash and solid doors. It's had a repaint and what looks to be a new skin on the LH rear quarter. I’ve been able to collect most of the few missing little pieces (such as the under dash speaker and spare tire holder).

It moves forward under its own power but reverse is gone. It must have been used as a chicken coop for mice in the recent past but the critters didn’t damage much.

Thanks for looking!

Pete

DeadheadNM 05-30-2016 07:46 PM

Re: 1972 Medium Blue Highlander Blazer Resto

5 Attachment(s)
More pics

DeadheadNM 05-30-2016 07:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
more...

DeadheadNM 05-30-2016 07:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Odd that it had two REAR carpet strips (the correct front carpet strip was not there). Since the rear strip was too rusty the duplication was a blessing. Will be adding this single wall top. It also had CA emissions compliant headers. The AIR pump brackets are still in place. The LH door jamb is a bit wonky from the skin placement (filler amongst the welds).

IronCanine 05-30-2016 08:09 PM

Oh Happy Day!!! Have been waiting with baited breath for this thread. Buckled up Buttercup...Super down for this ride! She's gonna be a beaut! :metal:

OLDYELLOW 05-30-2016 08:52 PM

She will make a nice one, I'll be watching.

flashed 05-30-2016 09:05 PM

Im in to see this one .

briank 05-30-2016 10:27 PM

I want it...cant wait to see it done.

ClassicStyle 05-30-2016 10:40 PM

Is this the one we spoke of a couple months ago? It looks nice!

tjsblazer 05-31-2016 01:05 AM

I'm on board.
BTW. My 72 had that style carpet strip both front and back. I don't think that is too uncommon.

lks dcvn 05-31-2016 06:44 AM

Looks like a great start to a project! Congrats on the score and looking forward to following along with this build. Keep the pics coming.

13jraven 05-31-2016 02:51 PM

Great color combo.

So you got one blazer sold in Orange County and another sold in San Diego?

John

DeadheadNM 05-31-2016 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for joining in! Great to have y'all aboard. I'll definitely appreciate any and all help.

Wanted to throw in a front end pic. I'll be a couple of weeks before I can dig in deeper and post more photos of the rusty bits. Frame looks solid as do the cab mounts, doors, tailgate, and front fenders. A points distributor is in place and the motor fires right up and sounds good but as reverse is gone and during braking it pulls hard to the left its not going back on the road.

For the near future, I'll keep it together to the point where I can start the motor while I tear out the interior and remove the mounting bolts for the cab supports and swap in new cushions. After that I'll swap tops and inspect the windshield frame for rust.

DeadheadNM 05-31-2016 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7610405)
BTW. My 72 had that style carpet strip both front and back. I don't think that is too uncommon.

Jeff that's good to know. It's easy to believe it left GM with both. I was able to get a fresh front carpet strip from a member on the board and it looks great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 13jraven (Post 7610841)
So you got one blazer sold in Orange County and another sold in San Diego?

John

John I bought my green Blazer in Orange but don't know where it was originally sold. I wish I did. Since it still carries the CA emissions equipment it left GM with I believe it sold new in CA. This blue Blazer was sold new in Encinitas in March 1972. The blue door tag is painted over. I suspect blue was built in February of that year but that's yet to be confirmed.

gringoloco 06-02-2016 03:47 AM

In to see what happens with this one

jaros44sr 06-02-2016 08:02 AM

I'd like to see what direction this build is headed, also. I'm sure it will be top notch

Tom Vogel 06-02-2016 10:05 AM

. This blue Blazer was sold new in Encinitas in March 1972. The blue door tag is painted over. I suspect blue was built in February of that year but that's yet to be confirmed.[/QUOTE]

I lived a block away from that dealership in 72 (I was 20 years old then). I remember seeing the Blazers out front on Encinitas Blvd. I wonder if I saw that one out there.

tristan 06-03-2016 05:43 AM

Subscribed, it looks like a great project truck. Jealous of that interior!

DeadheadNM 06-03-2016 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for joining guys. Great story Tom. Please keep an eye out for a Harloff Chevrolet license plate frame for me.

DeadheadNM 06-21-2016 11:13 PM

Not much new to report. I've removed, bagged and tagged most of the interior and sprayed the body mount bolts with PB Blaster in the hope I can remove them this weekend without having to grind off the heads. I'm readying to replace the body mounts then swap the 2x wall top for the 1x wall.

I ordered new rubber body mounts from Wes Hepp (Classic Heartbeat) but Wes called back to say the USA made rubber mounts are no longer available (his rubber radiator support mounts are still available and USA made). The current choices rubber mounts seem to be LMC or similar (that I hear are not good quality) or polyurethane mounts such as those from Energy Suspension. GMC Paul's website says these are not currently available. I'm going to order a set black polyurethane. Wes is investigating the possibility of having rubber K5 mounts made here again in the USA.

Also wanted to share this informative web page regarding dating of OEM window glass: http://www.camaros.org/glass.shtml#LOF Posted originally here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=709435

ClassicStyle 06-22-2016 12:20 AM

Excited to see what's next!

72K5CSTDarkOlive 06-23-2016 06:21 PM

subscribed.. Looking forward to seeing another top notch build!

DeadheadNM 06-26-2016 04:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Multiple applications of PB blaster this week seemed to grease the wheels so to speak and I was able to remove the body mount nuts with out too much difficulty (impact wrench helped too). Access to the rear most set of mounts was tough due to interference from a home made trailer hitch, which cradled the gas tank. I had to saw the hitch off. It's free to any local taker :)

The tank skid plate is in great shape and has some nice factory marking. It harbored a large mouse nest that encased the tank itself but that also seems in good condition.

DeadheadNM 06-26-2016 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
more

DeadheadNM 06-26-2016 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The GM scribble includes the model # (KE10514). The remainder is unclear to me - I may trace it out and try to replicate it.

I'll research how to post multiple pics per post with an ipad later today...