The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Shop LED lights (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=726577)

RockinKees 01-05-2017 05:07 AM

Re: Shop LED lights

Thanks Jim for the write up.
I haven't seen the LED tubes yet.
Are they really that much brighter then normal tubes?

The costs of the tubes are not much higher as the florescent tubes I think?
They should last longer also...

reaper71 01-05-2017 10:01 AM

They Do make a difference Kees!
With the old tube style ones (we get the Daylight bulbs 6000K) they will start to yellow after awhile, the new LED ones are super white

Mark...

RockinKees 01-05-2017 10:49 AM

OK Thanks!!
Maybe I should look into it also !

Hart_Rod 01-05-2017 10:56 AM

Will do this upgrade as my fluorescent bulbs fail...:metal:. Thanks for posting!

oldman3 01-05-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinKees (Post 7815335)
Thanks Jim for the write up.
I haven't seen the LED tubes yet.
Are they really that much brighter then normal tubes?

The costs of the tubes are not much higher as the florescent tubes I think?
They should last longer also...

Kees, as Mark said they are much brighter, and the light is more direct. It states these tubes have 50,000 hrs life span...Jim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7815490)
Will do this upgrade as my fluorescent bulbs fail...:metal:. Thanks for posting!

Hart, thanks for checking it out...Jim

El Dorado Jim 01-05-2017 04:50 PM

thanks for the thread, I have been thinking about doing this in my shop...would the clear bulbs put out more light? what is the reason for the white bulbs?

RUN GMC 01-05-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7815213)
Thank you, hope it will help out...Jim

Dude you made me do mine today went to Lowes and bought 6 led tubes and two double light housings......rewired the light over my work bench and put in two tubes....what a difference....my wife comes home with groceries and notices the new light now she wants the two in the kitchen rewired asap.....then my nosey neighbor see the light and like a moth to the flame he comes and ask me did I put a new light.......needless to say look what you started on here.......so I will buy 4 new tubes for the kitchen and I will install two new lights in my garage in the future............thanks again.........

oldman3 01-06-2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim (Post 7815816)
thanks for the thread, I have been thinking about doing this in my shop...would the clear bulbs put out more light? what is the reason for the white bulbs?

Really can't say they (clear) are any brighter. With the clear tube you see each LED, if you look directly at it then look away, you see blue dots for awhile. That is the reason I went with the milky cover. Milky is like a florescent only brighter...Jim

oldman3 01-06-2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUN GMC (Post 7816153)
Dude you made me do mine today went to Lowes and bought 6 led tubes and two double light housings......rewired the light over my work bench and put in two tubes....what a difference....my wife comes home with groceries and notices the new light now she wants the two in the kitchen rewired asap.....then my nosey neighbor see the light and like a moth to the flame he comes and ask me did I put a new light.......needless to say look what you started on here.......so I will buy 4 new tubes for the kitchen and I will install two new lights in my garage in the future............thanks again.........

Glad you like the change, sorry for any extra work ;) just keep the wife happy...Jim

Wrenchbender Ret 01-06-2017 12:04 PM

I hope the bulbs last longer then the LED light bulbs. I started using them in my home & 4out of 6 have gone bad with in 6 months.

Hart_Rod 01-06-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret (Post 7816556)
I hope the bulbs last longer then the LED light bulbs. I started using them in my home & 4out of 6 have gone bad with in 6 months.

I would take them back to the store. I think they have a year warranty. What brand?

Cbo 01-06-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUN GMC (Post 7816153)

Don't you have 4ft or 8ft housings? Because I've went to two different lowes and neither has had 8foot led lights...

RUN GMC 01-06-2017 09:54 PM

I have 4ft housings......1 over my work bench and 1 in my kitchen 4 light housing recessed.....and I bought two 2 light flip housings at Lowes 25.99 a piece Metalux brand......

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Metalux-SNF...-48-in/3335372

.......and these t8 led tubes

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-2...ulb/1000083433

lower50's 01-09-2017 01:47 PM

Nice write up on that. My friend has been using those tubes for a while now and loves them. I find the part of LED's that does not hold up to the 50,000 hrs is the transformer. So if one dies look at that first. Enjoy.