The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Shock and spring suggestions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=770266)

CRUSH2.0 08-27-2018 10:41 PM

Shock and spring suggestions

Looking to replace both on my 1972 k1500. What type of bilsteins?Springs etc. Love to hear some real world experience o and steering box too!

Thanks in advance

jeffahart 08-28-2018 11:58 AM

Re: Shock and spring suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRUSH2.0 (Post 8331872)
Looking to replace both on my 1972 k1500. What type of bilsteins?Springs etc. Love to hear some real world experience o and steering box too!

Thanks in advance

Bilstein 5100s. Redhead steering gear. I have skyjacker softrides, I am not happy with how soft they are. I will be swapping for stiffer springs soon. I added a 100+ pound winch a couple years ago and the preloaded weight made them a bit better, not so spongy.

My two cents. :chevy:

j

sweetk30 08-28-2018 02:21 PM

for the extra weight of a bbc / winch bumper / snow plow setup try tuff country hd springs . i have been running my 3" tuff country hd sprngs with my snow plow setup and no major drop with plow on and lifted up . andles great and still rides great .

jeffahart 08-28-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8332320)
for the extra weight of a bbc / winch bumper / snow plow setup try tuff country hd springs . i have been running my 3" tuff country hd sprngs with my snow plow setup and no major drop with plow on and lifted up . andles great and still rides great .

I may pull the trigger on some of those soon. So you're happy, I bet it corners good with the HD springs. My truck tracks straight, even with a bounce, it picks a straight line and stays put. I just don't like mush, you know how it feels when you hit those subtle swells in the road, and you feel like you're in a boat. That's how my skyjacker softrides feel.

Threerun 08-28-2018 05:36 PM

I haven't ordered yet, but I'm going with Off Road Designs springs with a set of Bilstein's. 2-3" lift.

I have Bilsteins on my '16 Silverado and '98 Cherokee. Great shocks.

sweetk30 08-28-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Threerun (Post 8332481)
I haven't ordered yet, but I'm going with Off Road Designs springs with a set of Bilstein's. 2-3" lift.

I have Bilsteins on my '16 Silverado and '98 Cherokee. Great shocks.

stephen and the guys/gal's over at ord will get you hooked up with a nice set of spings custom built for you . just answer all the questions fully to get them correct .

sweetk30 08-28-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8332371)
I may pull the trigger on some of those soon. So you're happy, I bet it corners good with the HD springs. My truck tracks straight, even with a bounce, it picks a straight line and stays put. I just don't like mush, you know how it feels when you hit those subtle swells in the road, and you feel like you're in a boat. That's how my skyjacker softrides feel.

i had a set of 6" skyjacker soft rides years ago . yes there soft but was nice ride .

these tuff country 3" hd springs have worked good for me on a k30 with sbc/th400/205 combo and a old fisher speed cast 8ft hd plow on the front that weigh's over 800lbs by its self .

and i run no sway bar on that truck for a long time now with no problems .