The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can someone tell me.. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=661508)

samples45 02-25-2015 06:53 PM

Can someone tell me..

I have a 1955 (2nd series) chevy truck, c4 front and rear suspension, how realistic is putting 20's on the front, 22's on the back with coilovers? Sorry for my insane question I'm a newbie!

Cameron

mr48chev 02-25-2015 07:32 PM

Re: Can someone tell me..

I won't put my opinion of what I think those look like on old trucks because the progressive truckers slap me around every time I do but if it were me I'd find someone to borrow a set from so I could see if they fit and stand back and look and decide what I thought of them. Better than spending a ton of money and deciding you don't like them. One of the local tire stores might have a set mounted up for display purposes that you could try at the tire store.

samples45 02-25-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 7065642)
I won't put my opinion of what I think those look like on old trucks because the progressive truckers slap me around every time I do but if it were me I'd find someone to borrow a set from so I could see if they fit and stand back and look and decide what I thought of them. Better than spending a ton of money and deciding you don't like them. One of the local tire stores might have a set mounted up for display purposes that you could try at the tire store.

lol Im a young guy i like the big wheels loward look! But i feel yeah! Im still building the truck and not at the driving stage..Guess i could just buy some and wing it

mr48chev 02-25-2015 10:27 PM

Trouble with buying to soon is that they will be out of style before you get it running and driving.

The main thing right now is you need to know that they will fit right and you like the general look even if the wheels you try aren't what you want to end up with. Over on the 67/72 side you can see discussions on "look at my new bigger set of rims where some of them have two or three new sets of wheels and tires that they have pulled off their trucks before ever driving them. Stack of 18's beside a stack of 20's next to a stack of 22's because they now have 24's on the truck and it isn't finished.

The local tire stores around here sell the most gaudy and garish looking 20's, 22's and bigger rims that you would see in a bad nightmare. You seldom see a set of Coy spokes or other actually presentable looking rims on the street rigs here.

samples45 02-25-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 7065934)
Trouble with buying to soon is that they will be out of style before you get it running and driving.

The main thing right now is you need to know that they will fit right and you like the general look even if the wheels you try aren't what you want to end up with. Over on the 67/72 side you can see discussions on "look at my new bigger set of rims where some of them have two or three new sets of wheels and tires that they have pulled off their trucks before ever driving them. Stack of 18's beside a stack of 20's next to a stack of 22's because they now have 24's on the truck and it isn't finished.

The local tire stores around here sell the most gaudy and garish looking 20's, 22's and bigger rims that you would see in a bad nightmare. You seldom see a set of Coy spokes or other actually presentable looking rims on the street rigs here.

I gotcha! thanks alot for that! Im gonna think this through now.. lol i get what your saying!

ghettoluxury 02-26-2015 03:36 AM

I like your self like big rims, my 2000 Z71 has 22's & my 1973 stepside he's 20's. I also wanted something that would look like it belongs on my 1949 GMC. After seeing Grimms panel truck build I found exactly what I wanted and believe it will suite the old girl's fancy. They are 20" spare rims off of a Dodge with factory center caps. Once finished it should look like they could have been a factory option.

ghettoluxury 02-26-2015 03:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry forgot the picture. This is from Grimms build page.

samples45 02-26-2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettoluxury (Post 7066238)
Sorry forgot the picture. This is from Grimms build page.

thats pretty sweet man!