The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   "Hard spots" in steering (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=766947)

BR3W CITY 07-06-2018 12:06 PM

"Hard spots" in steering

I've had power steering in my '66 since I've had it, and due to leaks had to replace the power steering gear this summer. I picked up a reman from my local Napa, swapped it in on CaptainFab bracket (to replace the stacked washers I had), and got it all back together and string-aligned.

The problem seems to be that there are hard spots, or extra resistance, at weird points going lock-to-lock. The system was bled (hydroboost), and there doesn't appear to be any binding/misalignment. Everything is exactly the same as it was before, just with the new steering gear.

Around 3/4 turn it starts to feel like the gear is resisting, and then unloading once it gets to a certain point. This can make the steering go from sluggish to darting VERY quick...and all around being a lil bit sketchy.

Any ideas? I'm wondering if I didn't just end up with a bad reman gear.

Kudzupatch 07-11-2018 04:32 PM

Re: "Hard spots" in steering

I have been looking into replacing mine to get quicker steering and I have read LOTS of stories about bad remanufactured boxes. I would bet money that is your problem.

BR3W CITY 07-11-2018 10:47 PM

Yea I ended up on the same conclusion. Had the guys warranty my box and bring me a new one. We'll she how she does in the next day or two.

Sean1985 07-25-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 8299391)
Yea I ended up on the same conclusion. Had the guys warranty my box and bring me a new one. We'll she how she does in the next day or two.

I have a cpp box that does the same thing. Let me know how it works out when you replace it. I was contemplating just doing a rack and pinion.

BR3W CITY 07-25-2018 01:53 PM

Its not perfect, but much much better. I don't have the huge resistance anymore in the steering. I still have some other steering things that could help (flipping tie rods to help bump steer correction possibly).

As for the steering gear, I'm pretty sure I just got a bad one.

franken II 07-25-2018 10:05 PM

I'm guessing bad box. I bought a 71 Camaro that liked to steer for me to (lock) whichever way I started to turn the wheel. It was a sketchy ride home. My internet searches said replace the box, hoses, and pump to get rid of any crap in the fluid. All good since.
You might block off the hydroboost and see if it resolves the issue.