The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   upper trim attachment options (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596028)

jocko 09-08-2013 11:17 PM

upper trim attachment options

I'm certain this has come up before - but, what is the rhyme or reason to which type of upper belt trim attachment pieces were used by the factory. I "assumed" the factory always used metal clips, but, of course, I have 2 truck that have the original trim on them and they have the adhesive retainers (see part "D", two types - metal or plastic w/adhesive) http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=43

Am curious which you all use and which were original, etc etc. Seems it's easier to remove it from the plastic ones. Both my trucks used the plastic retainers in the middle and metal clips at the ends (I'm talking about on the long upper bed trim strips/belt molding). Wondering any advantages to either way. For the adhesive ones, are they simply placed in the trim then the trim pressed on, or are they placed on the bed and the trim snapped on over them once they are in place? I've always preferred clips, but, on a truck with aux tanks, it's about impossible to get behind the bedside and pinch the clips to get them removed. Anyone have any tricks as to how to remove the metal clips?

Thanks all!

camrycurt 09-10-2013 04:04 PM

Re: upper trim attachment options

I've read about guys using the broad side of a 2x4 to gently push down and pry out on the top of the trim and release the clips that way, but I've never tried it.

I added trim to a non-trim truck and used the adhesive clips along the upper bedside trim because it was easiest. I did use a bolt-in clip in the last spot because I could access that hole through the taillight hole.

leddzepp 09-10-2013 04:16 PM

69-70 used all metal clips. 71-72 used a metal clip at the front, one at the back, and plastic in between.
Posted via Mobile Device

too much stuff 09-10-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 6262771)
69-70 used all metal clips. 71-72 used a metal clip at the front, one at the back, and plastic in between.
Posted via Mobile Device

That sounds correct.

jocko 09-10-2013 08:54 PM

great info gents, that's what I needed. This is for a 72, so will likely use the plastic in the middle. Thanks for the removal tip also Curt.

oklalawnboy 09-10-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

I approve this message.... My 72 was all original and that's the way it came.

tommys72 09-11-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device

This is exactly how my 72 is, as the drivers side upper trim is off and I can see all the attachments
Posted via Mobile Device

jocko 09-21-2013 12:59 AM

that is how mine is also, that's why I was curious - the LMC catalog sells ALL the clip types, but their diagram showed using ONLY the plastic clip types, exclusively, along the upper belt molding (i.e. no metal clips on the ends).

I can't really get behind the forward upper belt clip (can BARELY get to the rear-most one via the tail light opening, ha!) so will have to look at how I put these on. I suppose I could use ALL plastic adhesive clips. This is semi-temporary, hoping to restore the truck completely someday, but in the meantime, needed to replace a bent piece of side trim. Thanks again for all the help and confirming factory config for the different years.

jocko 09-21-2013 06:30 PM

Hmmmm
The plot thickens. The LMC plastic clips DO NOT STICK for crap... So, really don't want to drill holes all over the side of the bed and use earlier clips. This is old paint - not the shiniest - so that may be part of the problem. But it's a very smooth, polished surface that has been cleaned with degreaser, etc before sticking. They will "stick" but as soon as I try to attach the trim, it easily pops them off. Thoughts?

Also - NO way I can find to get behind the forward mounting screw hole to hold the nut. Any ideas? Only possible if the aux tank is removed?? Cripes. If it wasn't so frustrating, it'd be funny.

leddzepp 09-21-2013 07:16 PM

Scrape off the crappy tape that came on the clips. Use 3M outdoor adhesive or automotive grade double sided tape (red color backing) you will have to cut it to fit as it comes in a roll. It is thinner, much stronger, and will snug the trim closer to the body. This is what I did when reattaching the old trim on my blue truck and it worked great.

ray_mcavoy 09-21-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6279747)
Hmmmm
The plot thickens. The LMC plastic clips DO NOT STICK for crap...

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp
Scrape off the crappy tape that came on the clips. Use 3M outdoor adhesive or automotive grade double sided tape (red color backing) ...

I agree. I had to do that with some NOS trim on a 77. It had been sitting around in a warehouse for so long that the old tape was all dried out and useless. Some new 3M tape did the trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko
Also - NO way I can find to get behind the forward mounting screw hole to hold the nut. Any ideas? Only possible if the aux tank is removed?? Cripes. If it wasn't so frustrating, it'd be funny.

The forward (and rearmost) holes on the bedsides take snap-in type metal clips ... same type as were used for the entire length of the bedside for 69-70.

jocko 09-21-2013 07:46 PM

thanks scott and ray, excellent advice. ray, both my trucks had the original trim on them and had the clip at the rear (push-in type) and the stud (nut on back) on the forward attach point. I tried to use the push-in type, but, the factory hole is so close to the edge that there is no room for the push-in (with hold-in bendable clip to snug it-type) that close to the end.

ray_mcavoy 09-21-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 6279841)
ray, both my trucks had the original trim on them and had the clip at the rear (push-in type) and the stud (nut on back) on the forward attach point. I tried to use the push-in type, but, the factory hole is so close to the edge that there is no room for the push-in (with hold-in bendable clip to snug it-type) that close to the end.

It's been a long time since I took my 72 apart (and still haven't gotten around to doing bodywork/reassembly yet) so I must have been thinking about the rear clip only and mistakenly assumed the front was the same.

You might be able to use a "barrel clip" in place of the nut. The "ears" on them are smaller than on the snap-in type clips so they should fit okay even up close to the edge. The only problem might be the hole diameter ... I think it might be a bit too large in relation to the stud diameter for a barrel clip to have the snug fit it needs to hold.

Another option would be to use another plastic stick-on clip at the front. Or even 2 or 3 plastic clips right next to each other to give some added surface area so you can use a longer section of 3M tape for added strength just to be on the safe side.

leddzepp 10-28-2013 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got done installing a trim piece tonight using two pushin clips at either end and the adhesive style in between. It seats perfectly flush. The key is replacing the thick foam tape with 3M outdoor adhesive tape (half the thickness with way more gripping power), and making sure the surface is free of wax or any other contaminants that hinder adhesion. The metal clips are needed at the ends to make a tight connection so the trim hugs the body. I find that it helps to "bow" them slightly outward (as pictured below) to get the barbs to stick out further and grab the backside. As you push the trim in, it bends back to shape and pulls tight.

leddzepp 10-28-2013 12:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Push in clip bowed to give more room for the barbs to attach

leddzepp 10-28-2013 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed

leddzepp 10-28-2013 12:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking straight down...tight and flush with no gap between trim and bed panel.

jocko 10-28-2013 12:34 AM

looks great Scott - I ended up doing exactly as you describe. I used 3M 2-sided trim tape and it worked great. The old sticky stuff peels right off of the new clips and I put the 3M stuff on it's place. MUCH betta. Your truck's looking great. I finally got your door on the 71 today... Ha!

Hart_Rod 11-13-2017 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 6336079)
Installed

Old thread I know, but do you have any good shots of the tip of the front spear? Just curious on how close it is on the front of the fender. TIA

El Dorado Jim 11-13-2017 10:47 PM

I used the 3m tape also on my new trim, worked great!

leddzepp 11-14-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8081403)
Old thread I know, but do you have any good shots of the tip of the front spear? Just curious on how close it is on the front of the fender. TIA

Just saw this. Will try and get a pic when I get home from work late tonight.

57rookie 11-14-2017 03:03 PM

I just did this last month. Used 3m tape - works awesome and holds strong.