The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   what are good things to remove rust from inside the frame (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=466937)

old_1966_GMC 05-29-2011 03:46 PM

what are good things to remove rust from inside the frame

so what are other good ways to clean and remove some rust inside the frame ive gotten the out side done just need to finish up a few spots by the leaf spring where the wire wheel wont fit, what would be the best methed to be able to clean and remove rust from the inside of this frame im also ganna be spraying it with Rustoleum Rust Reformer and then spray with semi gloss black from vht.

Not looking to use any chemicals neither also i dont have a air compressor but if i did i would not be makein this thread sence i would just media blasted it.

bama63 05-29-2011 06:43 PM

Re: what are good things to remove rust from inside the frame

i just used CLR after pressure washing and it turned out great

old_1966_GMC 06-01-2011 03:13 PM

whats is clr

jimmydean 06-01-2011 03:24 PM

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachm...-clr.jpg?stc=1

onequickchevy 06-01-2011 04:08 PM

You can also try OSPHO. You can get it at most any hardware store, it converts rust to a black primer like sealed surface.

disturbinglykool 06-01-2011 05:36 PM

you can check out the video, this stuff is nice.

http://www.eastwood.com/internal-fra...ay-nozzle.html

old_1966_GMC 06-02-2011 01:44 PM

if i tyed the CLR would i need to srcub it or can i just from it on and leave it for a while

shuvl 06-02-2011 05:20 PM

If your thinking of using clr, save yourself some $$$ and just muriatic acid. Clr is just that but diluted. WHERE A RESPIRATOR!!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

pdxhall 06-02-2011 06:06 PM

Just something to think about for users of muriatic (hydrochloric) acid for rust removal. Taken from MSDS safety sheets.
Toxicity:
Skin contact: Burning, inflammation, blisters.
Eye contact: Burning, watering.
Inhalation: Irritation of mucous membranes, watering of eyes, difficulty breathing, salivation, nausea.
Ingestion: Pain in swallowing, intense thirst, abdominal pain, nausea, may be fatal if swallowed.
Preventative Measures
Personal Protective Equipment: Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Wear chemical protective gloves, goggles and face shield, rubber apron and boots. Eye wash fountains and safety shower facilities should be provided nearby for emergency use.
Respiratory protection: For acid vapours and mist, use an NIOSH/MSHA approved air purifying, dust, mist and particulate respirator.
Ventilation Requirements: This product should be used in a well-ventilated area at all times. If the hydrochloric acid solution is to be heated or a mist will be generated during product application, then local exhaust ventilation will be necessary.
It also produces flammable hydrogen gas when reacting with metal so no smoking or open flames.

old_1966_GMC 06-02-2011 09:11 PM

really dont wanna mess with muriatic acid ill just try CLR well see how it gose

bama63 06-03-2011 08:39 PM

CLR contains Phosphoric Acid not sulfuric acid,Phosphoric Acid is the same stuff you find in most aluminum wheel cleaners and alumibrite used on the 18 wheeler tanks and trim, but usually the CLR is much cheaper than automotive brands. i mix mine in a 2 gal sprayer and after cleaning spray it on and let set for 5-10 minutes and wash off with plain water

68 SHORT-STEP'N 06-03-2011 11:18 PM

I've used OSPHO before on some wrought iron fencing & I was amazed , the bottom railing was eat up & pitted so bad I thought there was no hope . Just take an old paint brush & paint it on , come back in 24 hrs. and its ready to go . Make sure you read all directions ! Good luck !

XtechX 06-04-2011 12:29 AM

Not to be a smart ass... but Elbow grease is your best tool for the job...lol
but seriously though, get some Kaboom cleaner/degreaser from your local dollar store for about $3.00 a gallon and use it full strength dont dillute it with water. Its pretty much non toxic and not bad for the environment. Also pick up a spray bottle while your there to fill and spray the stuff on. This works good and is cheap, give it a try you cant hardly go wrong for the price. It worked well for me.

XtechX 06-04-2011 12:32 AM

This works for the grease not rust, sorry I didnt read the post real thorough before i posted. But itll help someone I hope...lol

dicer 06-04-2011 12:40 AM

Don't use muriatic, it can get caught in pores and just keep on rusting and eating away.
Phosphoric products are better and safer. You could also get the cheap hand held blaster from harbor freight and use glass bead. For air get one of those tire fill tanks, it should give you a few good shots per fill.