The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Front differential locker, posi, open...? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=770344)

87Skier 08-29-2018 02:21 AM

Front differential locker, posi, open...?

I've been trying to pick out a new carrier for my Dana 44 front. I'm changing gears and need a new one and thought about going with a traction adder of some kind, but can't decide which one.

My truck is mostly a cruiser. It doesn't see a lot of abuse but occasionally I'll take it down a road or through crap it has no business being near. I also drive over mountain passes frequently, so I like to have it in 4wd earlier due to possible ice.

I want to avoid lockers because my wife occasionally drives my truck and I don't want to have to explain to her each time how to drive with a locker in the front.

Should I go with a posi? TrueTrac? Open carrier? Something else? What do you guys recommend?

The rear has a TrueTrac. It's got 33" tires, no plans to go bigger.

b454rat 08-29-2018 07:13 AM

Re: Front differential locker, posi, open...?

If anything an ARB. Locked when you want, unlocked when you want. Don’t need it, don’t lock it. Im in the same boat as you. I have a powerlock for my 44, but after talking to some people they say leave it open. I’ve been wheeling off n on for the past 25 years, never had a truck that had any sort of traction device, and can only remember one case where it would have helped. Maybe others will have more useful info....

Bigdav160 08-29-2018 07:18 AM

I used an Eaton e-locker so when the conditions get gnarly all it takes is a push of a button and I am locked. Otherwise I can have good steerage with the front open.

jeffahart 08-29-2018 11:05 AM

I would look into putting the dollars into a winch and some tackle. A good self recovery setup might be better bucks spent. But, if you go out with friends or where there is people... just stand waving a strap, someone will pull you out. Much cheaper, no maintenance, and you make new friends! :chevy:

P.S. Always throw a shovel in the bed before you go out. Most used recovery items are a rope and a shovel!

j

sweetk30 08-29-2018 01:43 PM

selectable like a ARB or eaton e-locker would be best choice for front end use .

like said above tho maybe a good name brand winch / yank strap / tree saver / pulley / d-ring .

B. W. 08-29-2018 02:28 PM

I have a Truetrac in front, can run in 4wd in winter with no ill handling.

outfield 08-29-2018 03:21 PM

The best differential for snowy and icy roads is an open differential. An open diff will prevent the front end from sliding sideways on a side hill, and plowing straight ahead in a turn. You will have better feel for the road and will be able to turn sharper.
An ARB or E-locker that is selectable is the second best, you have the advantages of an open diff when needed, but can lock it up when needed. I found I would rarely use my ARB front diff locked in, so my current trial rig is still open in front. (and I have a winch)
A limited slip like a Detroit True Trac would be the next best, but I found them to pull you side to side in snow ruts, and slush, a lot more then an open diff.
A true Locker will make it seam like your rig does not want to turn a corner, it will just go straight because both tires are turning at the same speed.
I would keep it as an open diff, or put an ARB in it.
Having a locker or True Track in the rear would probably be the best way to go, that's how my 69 K20 is set up... it drives great in the snow.

junksaver 08-29-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outfield (Post 8333156)
The best differential for snowy and icy roads is an open differential. An open diff will prevent the front end from sliding sideways on a side hill, and plowing straight ahead in a turn. You will have better feel for the road and will be able to turn sharper.
An ARB or E-locker that is selectable is the second best, you have the advantages of an open diff when needed, but can lock it up when needed. I found I would rarely use my ARB front diff locked in, so my current trial rig is still open in front. (and I have a winch)
A limited slip like a Detroit True Trac would be the next best, but I found them to pull you side to side in snow ruts, and slush, a lot more then an open diff.
A true Locker will make it seam like your rig does not want to turn a corner, it will just go straight because both tires are turning at the same speed.
I would keep it as an open diff, or put an ARB in it.
Having a locker or True Track in the rear would probably be the best way to go, that's how my 69 K20 is set up... it drives great in the snow.

Well said. To the OP all you need is an open differential. Just get that and don't even think twice about it. You only need a locker in the front for hard core wheeling. I would venture to say 99% of people with old trucks like us don't wheel them hard enough for a front locker.

87Skier 08-30-2018 02:20 PM

Thanks for all the help!

I can't see myself spending close to $1000 for a selectable locker and really don't feel that I would get the use out of it that it deserves. If this were more of a overlanding or a trail-rig/daily driver combo, I would probably spring for it. Looks like I'll be running open front diff.

jeffahart 08-30-2018 02:56 PM

Take the money from your left hand and put it in your right hand, you just made money by making a wise choice! Don't spend that kind of bucks on a whim. If you were in situations where you knew you needed it... you probably wouldn't have posted it as a question, I think! :chevy:

j

sweetk30 08-30-2018 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8333847)
Take the money from your left hand and put it in your right hand, you just made money by making a wise choice! Don't spend that kind of bucks on a whim. If you were in situations where you knew you needed it... you probably wouldn't have posted it as a question, I think! :chevy:

j

man if i had half the money from those kinds of deals . . . :lol:

jeffahart 08-30-2018 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8333966)
man if i had half the money from those kinds of deals . . . :lol:

I know right. Some of the things I've bought! I need to stop using my head as a jack stand, I think it might by affecting my good judgment! :hh:

j

Bigdav160 08-30-2018 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8333847)
j

I once stuck my DD and it took 12 hours to dig it out. Another time it took 4 hours. A winch would have done nothing. No places to tie off

I find a front locker a good investment where I drive

special-K 08-31-2018 08:20 AM

I love the Tru-Trac. It's still as good as it gets until you get into In & Out unit$. I'd say you are fine as it sits because the use you describe is the use the factory intended. But to go a notch further to enhance it's capabilities I'd match that front to the rear for a truly effective, simple, and economic solution that's hard to beat.

Short 3/4 09-03-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8334319)
I love the Tru-Trac. It's still as good as it gets until you get into In & Out unit$. I'd say you are fine as it sits because the use you describe is the use the factory intended. But to go a notch further to enhance it's capabilities I'd match that front to the rear for a truly effective, simple, and economic solution that's hard to beat.

I agree 100% with K. While I love the NoSPIN in my Chevy, I have TT's front and rear in my BrandX truck and have to agree that for your use either open or TT should be good

Mike C 09-04-2018 04:08 PM

I have a TruTrac in the front of my '52 M38A1. You don't notice it is there at from a driveability stand point, but you can tell it doesn't spin the left front front tire on uphill climbs anymore since both are pulling. I would recommend a TruTrac for the front as the others have. And for that matter, if you are buying a rear limited slip type diff I would go TruTrac there as well.

The first one I installed was in a '79 CJ7 that was a QuadraTrac vehicle. Fulltime 4x4 and the TruTrac the ONLY diff recommended for street use in that application.

On my son's 72 Jimmy project we are working on we swapped 3.73 axles from a '84 3/4 ton sub. The rear is the factory Gov-Lok and we put a used posi from a '78 TransAm in the front. This worked good for us because the Gov-Lok came with the truck and the Eaton LSD was free. Limited slips work well in the front but some of the challenges in snowy/icy conditions have been mentioned above.

I have some auto locking diffs in a couple of other front axles, and you definitely don't want one of those on the road!

Zoomad75 09-05-2018 12:22 AM

I love the Tru-trac in the front of mine. I've used it on many different terrain and not had any ill handling come out of any of them. Deep snow to packed almost icy, no pulling. On dirt it's great. I've crawled over stuff I know I couldn't have made it over with an open diff.

One side note though. Since installing, I've broken a stub axle and a u-joint. This was with stock spicer shafts/u-joints. Both times I was in sand fairly deep. My suggestion if you go with any traction device upgrade your shafts and u-joints. I know I need to on mine.

kwmech 09-05-2018 01:15 PM

I'll have to agree with everyone else about the Tru-trac. I've installed dozens of them in customers vehicles and have had not 1 complaint. There are the more extreme guys that want an ARB---which is essentially an air driven spool. One big advantage of the ARB is the fact that you end up with an on board air system which comes in handy for a lot of other things.

farmall 11-17-2018 11:56 PM

I rebuilt a Powr-Lok that I pulled out of an IH D60. Bought a clutch kit and side gears to match the axle spline count. Dana recommended leaving out a clutch for a front application. In snow it does great but if you hit dry pavement it is a bear to turn with power steering. It tracks straight and climbs just fine otherwise. Very little $ in it.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643974