The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   what a pain in the butt, gas lines and aux tank (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=137098)

mtdave2 01-22-2005 01:46 PM

what a pain in the butt, gas lines and aux tank

I had a gas leak coming from my tank selector the old long horn has the original (from what I can tell) flue lines going to the aux gas tank. All other flue lines have been replaced.

They are still in fair shape so I just clipped the split end and tightened it on the tank selector. That was easy I thought, making a mental not to replace those lines when I replace the wood floor.

I started the truck and flipped the switch for the aux tank, then I did the on hand on the wheel lean out the door and look under trick... no leak! Great! Then I smelled gas.....great.

I had gas running down the side of the aux tank. The other end of the gas line must have spit at the tank end. so, after a curse or two, I tried to get to the connector....no freakin way. It looks like there is only 2 ways to get to them. Take the bed loose, or off ... or take the wood floor out. What a pain.

I started taking the bed bolts off on the one side in hopes that I could raise the one side 4 inch or so. But now the bed blots are fighting. so. Screw it ill try again tomorrow. I have learned not to force things when IM pissed..lol.

franko72 01-22-2005 02:35 PM

cant you drop the aux. tank and do repairs. I also have the same setup and wonder what to do if I have the same problem.

da-burb 01-22-2005 05:26 PM

I had a similar thing happen on the motorhome this fall. The rubber line rotted off at the fitting on top of the tank. Had to drop it to get at it. Not the smartest design. When I put it back I ran a hard line from the tank to inside the frame rail. Now the rubber line is accessable without dropping the tank. That is the way it should have been done in the first place.

mtdave2 01-22-2005 05:51 PM

smart idea! i think ill do the same.

why not drop the tank? great question, but i have to ask the board has anyone been able to do this? the bolts are one step past rusted, its like they are welded! hahah!

on my 71 i cut the supports with a hack saw and then put threads on them. using a coupler i was able to make it work again. too much of a pain, and i dont think id want to do that again.

i have always heard of things like having to take off the front fender to change spark plugs and things like that. i had never seen it first hand. now i can say i have found a design that you have to take the bed off to change a fule line .lol

franko72 01-22-2005 06:20 PM

Are they long carriage style bolts that bite into the bed and bolt thru the saddle tank?
I want to remove mine in the future to recondition the tank and install new fuel line.That would be my worry that they would just keep turning or strip.

mtdave2 01-23-2005 01:54 PM

ya that's right franko, but the problem is that they are rusted to the tank. they dont turn at all! thats why im just going to take the bed off, less work hahaha.

stllookn 01-23-2005 03:32 PM

I had twin factory tanks in my '67 with the long carriage bolts through the tank. I had to use a torch to burn the heads off of the bolts to drop the tanks. It took a sledge to get the bolts out of the tank. You might consider using grinder on the head of the bolt to protect the wood in your bed. Good Luck! I still have those tanks if anyone wants them...FREE!

badpeanut 01-23-2005 04:51 PM

I have a '72 (non-vented gas cap, charcoal cansiter) that I want to put a saddle tank on. The saddle tank has a vented cap and no extra fittings to use for a charcoal canister. Any advice on how to install this tank? How do I figure out which line to tap into on my behind the seat tank?

chickenwing 01-24-2005 12:42 AM

I had to grind the heads. Couldn't find a replacement for either the bolts or the funky "nuts". Had to go to a specialty fastener place to find carriage bolts long enough to work. Just used washers and regular nuts to replace. To take up the space in the holes through the tank I took a piece of 3/4" pvc cut it length-wise and then heated it up to slide in the holes. Every saddle tank equipped truck I find in the wrecking yard I try to get the factory bolts and nuts. To date I have only got one.

sactoC10 01-24-2005 02:01 PM

Getting rid of my AUX tanks was one of the best things I ever did. It was a serious hassle and turned out one of them was 2/3 full with old putrid gas. Good things I never flipped the switch to one of them! Ended up selling the bolts to a fellow board member...hang in there.