The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   No Park Lamps when Headlight On (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=428826)

tubbedII 11-01-2010 12:22 PM

No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
My Blazer is a 70 with a 67 front clip. It didn't come with the back part of the grille or parking lamps, so I've never had front turn signals. Since I bought it I have installed a Painless wiring kit, new headlight switch and now have the complete front grille with parking lamps.

The blinking functions work just fine (turns and hazards), but the parking lights only turn on when the light switch is on park lights and turn off when the headlights come on. I've read this is a function with the 67-68's, but they stay on with 69-72's.

Is there something I can do to make the parking lights stay on when the headlights are on?

fixit-p 11-01-2010 12:42 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
First thing I would do is to verify that power is present at the park lights wire with the headlights on, it's possible you have the wrong light switch, ground fault or wiring error, Is it a single or dual filament bulb? the wiring is different for each.

the diagram is for a 70-72
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1288407962

tubbedII 11-01-2010 01:19 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Thanks, fixit-p. The bulbs are dual fillaments. With the headlight switch on park, the low fillament lights up, and when they blink, the bright fillament lights up. This leads me to believe the wiring is correct and grounds are fine, but I could be wrong so I'll still check the power when I get home. The signals also work fine with the headlights on.

You said the switch could be wrong...are they different from 67-72?

raycow 11-01-2010 10:40 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
I believe the first year for "full time" parking lights was 68. You MAY have an incorrect switch, but even if you do, there is no need to replace it. The cheapest fix is to connect the parking light wire to the tail light terminal on the switch, or put a jumper across the two terminals.

Ray

Longhorn Man 11-01-2010 10:41 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
do the tail lights go out when the headlights are on?
Did you order a harness for 67?

tubbedII 11-02-2010 11:41 AM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
So I checked power at the light, and once the headlights are on, there's no power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Man (Post 4272391)
do the tail lights go out when the headlights are on?
Did you order a harness for 67?

Nope, the tail lights remain on when the headlights are on.
The kit I used was P/N 10206. It says on their website they are 18 Circuts for 1967-1972 Trucks. I don't see one on their website for 67 only, so I don't believe so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raycow (Post 4272389)
I believe the first year for "full time" parking lights was 68. You MAY have an incorrect switch, but even if you do, there is no need to replace it. The cheapest fix is to connect the parking light wire to the tail light terminal on the switch, or put a jumper across the two terminals.

Ray

The jumper across the tail and parking terminals sounds simple enough. On the painless kit, here's the 2 wire codes:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...htSectionB.png

On the switch, this is where they are located:
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ightSwitch.png

So, on the pig tail of the light switch, do I simply just shove a wire across from the 927 wire to the 929?

Well, first I should probably check to see if there's power at the 927 wire with the headlights on...

fixit-p 11-02-2010 12:22 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
The terminal where 927 originates is pre 68 park lights the newer switches didn't have that terminal it's possible that the after-market switches have them so the switch can correctly cover more years you could jump it like raycow suggests or relocate the wire to the terminal next to #929 (dotted line) those 2 terminals (3 & 5) are already bussed together either way works.

tubbedII 11-02-2010 02:26 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fixit-p (Post 4273083)
The terminal where 927 originates is pre 68 park lights the newer switches didn't have that terminal it's possible that the after-market switches have them so the switch can correctly cover more years you could jump it like raycow suggests or relocate the wire to the terminal next to #929 (dotted line) those 2 terminals (3 & 5) are already bussed together either way works.

Awesome! I was a little nervous about jumping the wires given I'm no electrical genious and didn't want to blow the switch doing something wrong. I'll pull the 927 clip on the pig tail and put it in the dotted line terminal.

You all are great! Thanks a ton for the help!

Tink 11-02-2010 03:24 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
I bought the same kit... for our 69 and have the same problem, so I'm glad you asked this question! :D

tubbedII 11-03-2010 08:39 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Thanks everyone for all the help! It's the way I want now...
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/IMAG0117.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

El Campo 08-20-2013 02:07 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Tagging this one as I have the same harness and had same issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

amashal 11-02-2013 07:40 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Man I love this site. Installed my new parking lights on my '67 and they turn off when the headlights come on. Instead of starting to troubleshoot under the hood and dash I search my problem here and found this thread. Saved me hours probably since I suck at electrical issues.

Keating121 11-03-2013 01:20 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amashal (Post 6344795)
Man I love this site. Installed my new parking lights on my '67 and they turn off when the headlights come on. Instead of starting to troubleshoot under the hood and dash I search my problem here and found this thread. Saved me hours probably since I suck at electrical issues.

Here Here Amashal!! I'm with you!!:alc:

Deenice21 01-04-2019 10:31 AM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
thanks needed this info

Deenice21 01-04-2019 11:24 AM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fixit-p (Post 4271497)
First thing I would do is to verify that power is present at the park lights wire with the headlights on, it's possible you have the wrong light switch, ground fault or wiring error, Is it a single or dual filament bulb? the wiring is different for each.

the diagram is for a 70-72
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1288407962

so i take it the brown side of park lights should be hot when the light switch is on then the light blue will be hot when turn signal is on?

Domingo 01-04-2019 01:27 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
I thought it was normal, got to fix the parking lights on my 68. They go off when the headlights come on

dmjlambert 01-04-2019 10:32 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Yes probably normal. Was it identified as a problem in this thread that the parking lights don't glow with headlights on?

First c10 01-06-2019 02:11 PM

Re: No Park Lamps when Headlight On
 
Now I have to fix 2 vehicle’s problems I didn’t realize I had! Lol. Both my trucks do this. I will be jumping pins on the plug!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com