The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   2016 K2500HD work truck (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=804196)

1976gmc20 04-11-2020 05:56 PM

2016 K2500HD work truck
 
6.0 gas and 73K miles, $21K

Called the dealer today and they still have it.

We should have the money next week and we are seriously thinking about buying it if it is as good as it looks in the pictures. Only thing I can see wrong is a tear in the driver's seat.

dajn 04-11-2020 06:03 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
That's pretty much as good as it gets for 20k. Nice.

1976gmc20 04-11-2020 07:10 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dajn (Post 8714376)
That's pretty much as good as it gets for 20k. Nice.

Yeah, I really like the older trucks better, but finding one like I want with less than 200K miles is problematic. We want something that is new enough that we can just go drive anywhere and not worry much about it breaking down.

The other option is ordering a brand new 2020 because they just don't have regular cab long beds on the lot. Not sure what that would run; I'm guessing around $50K.

72 tigger 04-11-2020 07:45 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
2 Attachment(s)
A new base F250 is close to 40K

1976gmc20 04-11-2020 07:58 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8714448)
A new base F250 is close to 40K

I just can't quite bring myself to buy a Ford.

In my experience, dealers really hate to special order for you. They are so determined to sell something out of inventory, which are all crew cabs.

Also, I wanted it for this summer - not six months from now.

davischevy 04-11-2020 10:24 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
I hope you get it. With proper service, they are pretty much trouble free.

1976gmc20 04-12-2020 12:03 AM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8714566)
I hope you get it. With proper service, they are pretty much trouble free.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

I should have the money sometime late next week, and then we will go see if they still have it. Don't want to go crazy spending, but everything we have is getting pretty old. The newest is the 2006, and it's just a little car that we can only drive about three months out of the year. And it gets terrifying to get out on a crowded interstate with that little thing.

FleetsidePaul 04-12-2020 04:50 AM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8714448)
A new base F250 is close to 40K

40K for that ugly Ford?

I'm sorry. But it's uglier than a fat chick with bad teeth and food stains on her dirty shirt.

Good luck on the new truck. It sounds nice. :)

special-K 04-12-2020 05:58 AM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
I didn't think anyone bought a new truck because they thought it was good looking. I thought they only buy them because they are new. That's me anyway. The good looking trucks have already been made. I figure that's the reason for the extreme upturn of interest in older trucks and why those are priced so ridiculously now.

As far as dealer ordering goes, what you say may be true. But, when I wanted to order a truck I looked until I found an intelligent dealership, or at least an intelligent salesman. He was smart enough to see the benefits of placing special orders for customers. Here is what he said when I said "I guess you guys would rather I buy from your inventory",

"We figure a customer like you comes in to order a truck, you hand us money up front, the truck comes in sold, we call you, You give us down payment, the truck is off the lot with no interest paid and only washed once. Meanwhile we sell off the lot to everyone else"

72 tigger 04-12-2020 08:58 AM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
I'm guessing around $50K. This is why I posted the ford

burnin oil 04-12-2020 09:13 AM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
2019 2500HD standard cab long bed 4x4 base starts at $35,595 according to Chevy website. A 2020 should be right at $40k. When I bought my dodge back in 08 I did a lot of dealer inventory searches. I found a truck 400 miles away. I wanted a manual so I know the pain you are having.

1976gmc20 04-12-2020 11:59 AM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnin oil (Post 8714727)
2019 2500HD standard cab long bed 4x4 base starts at $35,595 according to Chevy website. A 2020 should be right at $40k. When I bought my dodge back in 08 I did a lot of dealer inventory searches. I found a truck 400 miles away. I wanted a manual so I know the pain you are having.

I would rather have a manual (if they made them anymore) but this has to be a pickup that my wife can drive. Oh well, it's not going to be my real work truck.

When we go down to look at this one hopefully late next week, I will ask about a new one also. But a new one will have even more complicated electronic crap than a 2016, and I guess I have to decide whether saving ~$20K (half price) is worth 73K miles already. Either way, I've pretty much decided to try to trade in the 1991 Suburban for it, unless someone here on this forum wants to speak up for it?

And then we need a topper of some sort for it right away. Gee, probably another $3K-$5K just for that :rolleyes:

Also this fall planning to trade off the 2006 FWD HHR for something AWD or 4WD. We need to have every vehicle be something that can get through the snow and mud. Even in the summer, we can go to town on a dry sunny day and then it will rain in the afternoon and we can't get home again :(

FleetsidePaul 04-12-2020 12:32 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8714672)
I didn't think anyone bought a new truck because they thought it was good looking.

I get it. Kind of like an ugly chick at 2:00 a.m.

We all must make sacrifices.

burnin oil 04-12-2020 01:27 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8714892)
I would rather have a manual (if they made them anymore) but this has to be a pickup that my wife can drive. Oh well, it's not going to be my real work truck.

When we go down to look at this one hopefully late next week, I will ask about a new one also. But a new one will have even more complicated electronic crap than a 2016, and I guess I have to decide whether saving ~$20K (half price) is worth 73K miles already. Either way, I've pretty much decided to try to trade in the 1991 Suburban for it, unless someone here on this forum wants to speak up for it?

And then we need a topper of some sort for it right away. Gee, probably another $3K-$5K just for that :rolleyes:

Also this fall planning to trade off the 2006 FWD HHR for something AWD or 4WD. We need to have every vehicle be something that can get through the snow and mud. Even in the summer, we can go to town on a dry sunny day and then it will rain in the afternoon and we can't get home again :(

Honestly if it was me I would go used if it all checks out good. I think that you have a safe 100k miles with only mild repairs ahead since the truck is only a few years old. The newer trucks seem to be really reliable for 200k or more.

I started stockpiling parts a few years ago since I can't see myself driving an auto truck. My neighbor has all autos so his wife can drive them and every time I work on them I am reminded how unhappy I would be. My driveway is 1/4 mile of hard packed gravel up a mountain and I can only get the jetta up for a couple of days after it rains so basically all the vehicles are 4x4. I really miss the compression breaking going down hill. The one auto we own always takes a lot of pedal to keep it from running away.

1976gmc20 04-12-2020 01:52 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by burnin oil (Post 8714967)
Honestly if it was me I would go used if it all checks out good. I think that you have a safe 100k miles with only mild repairs ahead since the truck is only a few years old. The newer trucks seem to be really reliable for 200k or more.

I started stockpiling parts a few years ago since I can't see myself driving an auto truck. My neighbor has all autos so his wife can drive them and every time I work on them I am reminded how unhappy I would be. My driveway is 1/4 mile of hard packed gravel up a mountain and I can only get the jetta up for a couple of days after it rains so basically all the vehicles are 4x4. I really miss the compression breaking going down hill. The one auto we own always takes a lot of pedal to keep it from running away.

Thanks! I'm thinking that we will buy it if they still have it in a week (salesman said on the phone it's been there two months) and nothing horrible seems obviously wrong with it.

As far as automatic transmissions, I agree with you 1000% ! But since the purpose of this pickup is primarily travel with a place to sleep in back, we both need to be able to drive it. Actually we used to only have manuals and I thought she was trained fairly well but then I would happen to ride with her somewhere and she would do dumb stuff like not shifting down and when I said something she would get all upset :rolleyes:

Sometimes when it is real slick, I just put the automatic in neutral going down our driveway because then the brakes don't have to fight the engine trying to go 20 mph at idle. It actually works better that way. Our driveway is about 1/8 mile, not too terrible steep except at the yard going up into the garage. But then it's another eight miles of dirt/gravel to get to anything sort of resembling pavement, and ten miles to a real highway.

My firewood pickup is a five speed manual :) Also my old 2wd GMC but it's not running right now. I'm still not sure if I'm going to fix it or find a good home for it.

Greg58 04-16-2020 03:28 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
I used to have a 2000 silverado 4x4, regular cab, 6.0 before I got my Duramax.
I loved the engine, power was good, fuel economy was ok, 11-15 mpg usually.
Even got 10 consistently while towing a 24' enclosed.
You need to post a pic of the new ride when you get it, good luck.

Greg

1976gmc20 04-16-2020 03:48 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg58 (Post 8717792)
I used to have a 2000 silverado 4x4, regular cab, 6.0 before I got my Duramax.
I loved the engine, power was good, fuel economy was ok, 11-15 mpg usually.
Even got 10 consistently while towing a 24' enclosed.
You need to post a pic of the new ride when you get it, good luck.

Greg

Thanks! We were hoping to go see it tomorrow; money is in the bank :)

But we had more snow overnight, the sun came up and it started melting, but now PM it's cloudy and spitting snow again :( Not exactly the nicest weather for hosing down our old Suburban to take it in to see about a trade :rolleyes:

Actually I don't suppose one of y'all is going to run to Montana and buy it. Here is the dealer page:
https://www.dennymenholt.com/Vehicle...-MT/3596886753

Greg58 04-17-2020 03:12 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Looks great, you will love those tow mirrors. Not many regular cabs out there any more. I remember when I ordered my 2000 the dealer asked me " are you sure you want a regular cab?"
I didn't have any trouble selling mine when I bought my D-max, first guy that came over bought it. Said he was sick of getting his good truck muddy chasing cattle on their ranch.
Ask for a window sticker, the dealer can print you a copy so you know all the equipment on it.
Good luck, Greg

1976gmc20 04-17-2020 03:45 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Waiting for a call back from the salesman to verify that they still have it …

Plan is to go down there tomorrow.

I have to go out and wash the Suburban at 50* and 20mph wind :rolleyes:

joedoh 04-17-2020 08:02 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
I have a 2001 2500HD std cab 4x4 6.0 I got from my mother in law when my father in law passed. it hasnt been a good truck.


its been A GREAT TRUCK. FIL stretched the frame 2 feet and added a 10.5' aluminum flatbed. I have hauled everything from everywhere, towed everything everywhere, that flatbed comes in super handy.

you will be very happy as long as you dont expect a crew cab from buying a std cab. finding room for everything in the cab (straps, bungees, gloves, hitches, etc). is a challenge. FIL used to hang straps and bungees on the headache rack, about the 3rd trip to homer derpt they were all gone, holding other peoples stuff in other peoples trucks. or just opportunists.

good luck!

burnin oil 04-17-2020 08:36 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Tool boxes under the flatbed are really nice to have.

davischevy 04-17-2020 09:56 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8714566)
I hope you get it. With proper service, they are pretty much trouble free.

I jinxed myself. We have one single cab 2007 K 2500HD, 6.0.

The next day after I posted this the transmission went out at 157,000. In the trucks defense, it has always been in the loving care of a pipeline crew, and the guy driving it will test anything for weak links.

A reman transmission from Jasper is $4,400 plus R&R, I found a used one from American Truck Salvage (board member) for $1,500 plus R&R.

1976gmc20 04-18-2020 05:58 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8718955)
I jinxed myself. We have one single cab 2007 K 2500HD, 6.0.

The next day after I posted this the transmission went out at 157,000. In the trucks defense, it has always been in the loving care of a pipeline crew, and the guy driving it will test anything for weak links.

A reman transmission from Jasper is $4,400 plus R&R, I found a used one from American Truck Salvage (board member) for $1,500 plus R&R.

Ouch!

Well, I hope we have better luck than that, cause we got her.

But the good news is that they fixed the driver's seat.

davischevy 04-18-2020 10:40 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
1 Attachment(s)
I think you will like your truck. We got ours back yesterday.

1976gmc20 04-18-2020 10:57 PM

Re: 2016 K2500HD work truck
 
I think I will too. Still learning about it, but for a modern vehicle it is relatively simple. The parking brake about freaked me out this evening because I couldn't figure out how to release it. No release handle! Then I got my bifocals and read the fine print on the pedal :lol:

We got the details today: it was owned by a local contractor who traded it in for a 2020. It was driven by the owner. It had a service body on it and the original bed put back on which is still brand new (stored 4 years).

We didn't get much for our old Suburban but it needed a lot of work. Almost just kept it but I really wanted to drive home in the "new" pickup with my wife. After 19 years I guess it was time to move on.

The plan is to go back down sometime next week and order a new topper/shell for it unless we can find a used one in the next couple days. We need to get all ready to go to Colorado as soon as all this bat flu stuff eases off, and start getting my mom's house cleaned out.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com