The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Things that annoy: "AC Works, but" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=724730)

davepl 12-13-2016 02:08 PM

Things that annoy: "AC Works, but"

I can't count how many times I've seen a classic truck or car listed for sale with the caveats "AC works great, just needs a recharge".

That's like saying "Tire is in good condition, just add new air every 50 miles".

If AC doesn't work, it doesn't work. There, I said it. Saying it'll work once you fix it doesn't mean it's working now!

Rant over :-P

- Dave

truckster 12-13-2016 02:21 PM

Re: Things that annoy: "AC Works, but"

How about, "Was running when parked."

67ChevyRedneck 12-13-2016 02:26 PM

"Easy restoration candidate" :lol:

67ChevyRedneck 12-13-2016 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Te hee

71threequarterton 12-13-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7794955)
"AC works great, just needs a recharge"

Since I just bought my truck pretty recently, I have to say that I've seen that one a million times lately and every time I see it I wonder "Why the :cuss: would you say that..." :confused:

TwoFiftyShifter 12-13-2016 03:33 PM

Tires good, just have a little dry rot.

noisemachine 12-13-2016 03:42 PM

What always gets me is a listing for a truck (or any vintage Chevy) and the whole ad is devoted to telling you about the Edelbrock valve covers, intake, and carb on the small block. Nothing against Edelbrock but it's like ''Dude tell me about the damn truck not your mainstream sbc parts anyone can get at any time.''

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-13-2016 03:47 PM

A little off topic, but for me I'm annoyed attempting to retrace how these trucks came factory. Course that's on me.

Many threads started where someone had experienced problems, but the author doesn't report back how the problem was resolved.

Posters who insist it's one way or the other from factory and all else wasn't. Seems much of this is just rumor. An example MAY have occurred just yesterday. I've read from many sources that a red hazard button was for non-tilt while a black hazard button was for tilt. A very knowledgeable source (doesn't mean he's right) calls BS. Could be a year thing, but he says there were red buttons from factory regardless of tilt or not. Black can mean it was replaced. For the record, my tilt and non-tilt have black buttons.

Camaroguy 12-13-2016 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisemachine (Post 7795035)
What always gets me is a listing for a truck (or any vintage Chevy) and the whole ad is devoted to telling you about the Edelbrock valve covers, intake, and carb on the small block. Nothing against Edelbrock but it's like ''Dude tell me about the damn truck not your mainstream sbc parts anyone can get at any time.''

I agree. Or when half the add is telling me about the stereo.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-13-2016 04:12 PM

"all it needs is a battery".

cleszkie 12-13-2016 04:49 PM

"All original"

"No rust"

"Turn key"

"I'd drive it cross country"

71sierragrande 12-13-2016 05:53 PM

It could be BS, but also a way to explain that you know what the problem is, and that it's minor.

Back when I was a teenager, I had a '65 bel air that I had no money to fix and needed money for other things, so I put it up for sale. A guy calls and asks if it runs, I say "Yep, runs great, but it won't start." Even my step dad asked me 'how does it run if it won't start?" Well, I promised the guy that only the starter was bad, and if he replaced it, the car would run. So, he came out and replaced the starter in my yard, she fired right up, he paid me and drove it away.

Bob B. 12-13-2016 05:58 PM

"Rare Corvette 350" Of course that comes with an Edelbrock intake and carb., cheap chrome valve covers and air cleaner (with a dirty filter), brightly colored spark plug wires that are way too long. I am really bugged by the clowns that remove the A/C by hack-sawing off the lines at the evaporator case, tossing the compressor and leaving the brackets, and of course leaving the condenser in place. Nice!

I also have a problem with "rare factory big block 4X4's"!

Already Gone 12-13-2016 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7794955)
I can't count how many times I've seen a classic truck or car listed for sale with the caveats "AC works great, just needs a recharge".

That's like saying "Tire is in good condition, just add new air every 50 miles".

If AC doesn't work, it doesn't work. There, I said it. Saying it'll work once you fix it doesn't mean it's working now!

Rant over :-P

- Dave

Boy, am I ever with you Dave. When I see a truck someone is asking 20/25k and all the A/C parts are there and like you say the ad says "just needs a recharge" I right away think its needs more than a recharge or what other corners were cut on the resto. While we are at it I don't how many trucks I've looked at that had factory A/C and when the A/C no longer blows cold or works people remove the compressor, brackets etc and then try to sell it as having factory A/C and you just need a compressor. One the biggest reasons I bought my Highlander is that it has factory working A/C and has been converted to the 134 stuff.

Orange67 12-13-2016 07:45 PM

I have the tendency to lean the complete opposite way when I have sold things. No clue why, but I usually end up picking my own vehicle apart when someone is interested. So yeah, when I'm looking at buying ALL the statements above iritate me. Just be friggin honest, tell me what's wrong with it, if I'm that interested, I'll buy it.

72_K10_Vegas 12-13-2016 09:20 PM

Or how about this one:

I hate to sell it but I am off to collage.

Occasionally see this:

MINT! (all in caps of course)

Advanced Design 12-13-2016 11:38 PM

All the above get to me too. Along with those comments, the Craigslist ad with two or three poor pictures is really annoying. Compounding that is the vehicle you are seriously interested in that is several hours away, and the seller won't send any additional pictures. It's not hard to send pictures today...just send me enough to convince me to come and buy it.

100%Chevy 12-13-2016 11:48 PM

"BARN FIND"
Just how many barns out there have a rare valuable classic car in them still?
Wife call s my shop a barn.Can I ask more for my junk?
Just tried of hearing this new cliche'.
Mike.:chevy:

palallin 12-14-2016 12:09 AM

This statement merely separates the AC system from one that needs a compressor or some other major component. In other words, it DOES work when fully charged, whereas one in need of a compressor would not, no matter how much it is charged.

RichardJ 12-14-2016 12:11 AM

Just as important to include is the often bogus claim of "Clear Title".

A "Clear Title" means the vehicle is currently registered and titled in the name of the guy standing there selling it and the VIN on the vehicle matches the paperwork.

It doesn't mean a title in some other persons name.
It doesn't mean a bill of sale from some 3rd party whose whereabouts is unknown.
It doesn't mean lien sale paperwork.
It doesn't even mean titled correctly, but not registered for ten years and hundreds in penalties due.

dmjlambert 12-14-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 7794971)
Te hee

Man, I love that car. That is like art.

TwoFiftyShifter 12-14-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardJ (Post 7795474)
Just as important to include is the often bogus claim of "Clear Title".

A "Clear Title" means the vehicle is currently registered and titled in the name of the guy standing there selling it and the VIN on the vehicle matches the paperwork.

It doesn't mean a title in some other persons name.
It doesn't mean a bill of sale from some 3rd party whose whereabouts is unknown.
It doesn't mean lien sale paperwork.
It doesn't even mean titled correctly, but not registered for ten years and hundreds in penalties due.

Great point.

too much stuff 12-14-2016 09:13 AM

Rare 3 door burb.

Or "I know what this is worth, Make offer" Yet still no price listed.

StingRay 12-14-2016 09:25 AM

If I had a nickel for every "mint" and "rust free" truck I ever looked at I could buy a genuinely mint rust free truck with the money.

4X4GMC1972 12-14-2016 12:01 PM

Original factory rally wheels.