The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   After Market Rear AC (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=716086)

WannaBe68 08-26-2016 11:37 AM

After Market Rear AC

2 Attachment(s)
In my other thread "The Sled" Ride of 2016, a member -MOSESBURB- pointed out that the Vintage Air Gen 4 SureFit, I bought, might not be adequate for cooling the entire interior and recommended putting in a rear AC. Which got me to start looking into this - He may be correct.
I found an outfit called "Nostalgic AC Parts" that sells what looks like the same kind-of unit that was the rear AC from the factory.

Anyone here have experience with them or this unit? They list it as the following:

"UD-550 OVERHEAD ROOF MOUNT EVAPORATOR UNIT"

http://nostalgicac.com/evaporator-un...ator-unit.html

Here is the unit / front and back pictures:

AnotherWs6 08-26-2016 12:18 PM

Re: After Market Rear AC

That looks interesting. I don't have any more info but do have another question. If you already had an AC system hooked up and working how would you add another unit to it? Do you need all new equipment? Dual things underhood?

WannaBe68 08-26-2016 12:29 PM

I did speak to Vintage Air about this and the guy said I would have to upgrade my compressor to a larger unit...one that could handle two condensers. Other than that it would be a case of integrating the extra piping into the existing lines. - But hey! I am no AC guy, so I'll admit I'm guessing on that last pint :-)

nastety92 08-26-2016 01:30 PM

Has anyone ever used a rear AC system from a 01-06 Yukon/ Tahoe? My friend works at a shop and they do a lot of aftermarket installs to commercial trucks and vans. He said they sell a line of rear AC units that is fully self contained and mounts in the rear of the vehicle. I will try and find out what brand it is.

AnotherWs6 08-26-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBe68 (Post 7694644)
I did speak to Vintage Air about this and the guy said I would have to upgrade my compressor to a larger unit...one that could handle two condensers. Other than that it would be a case of integrating the extra piping into the existing lines. - But hey! I am no AC guy, so I'll admit I'm guessing on that last pint :-)

So you basically do need two of everything except the compressor. And what, the condensers daisy chain? Like in one and then back out into another one?

My truck has a rear AC unit in it, nothing in the front. It can't keep up on 92 degree summer day. Doesn't do all that well in general. It's a burb, so it's basically like driving a big greenhouse around. Would like to do something up front as well.

Hart_Rod 08-26-2016 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Might be able to install that under the rear seat.....hhhhhmmmmm....

Diagram

Bigdav160 08-26-2016 06:45 PM

My '72 has front and rear A/C but only one condenser. ;)

Adding another condenser in series like the pic above just makes your condenser bigger. Nothing wrong with that except for space and refrigerant.

WannaBe68 08-26-2016 09:43 PM

Thanks Fellas... It appears this subject could take off in a bunch of directions.

If y'all don't mind, I was hoping to keep the subject to the unit I posted at the beginning. After visiting with Vintage Air they convinced me that adding a rear air isn't that big of a deal. Just need a bigger compressor up front, run new hoses to the rear connecting them with an inline T fitting, and figure out how to mount it. So in theory I'm good on if it will work or not...

With all of that - I'd really like to know if anyone knows anything about the UD-550 Overhead Unit pictured above. OR if anyone has used an under dash unit to mount on the rear ceiling.

Thanks!

Bigdav160 08-27-2016 06:19 PM

I know someone did it. I remember a thread a few years back. Nice job too.

Most GM compressors are going to be sized fine. It's the aftermarket Sanden's that come in a couple sizes.

edit, Ok I looked it up. The factory A6 compressor is 207cc and the R4 is 180 cc

ranger danger 08-28-2016 12:36 PM

I am looking at doing the same thing you are. I was advised by Vintage Air to install there Mini Slimline unit in the rear. Its designed to work in tandem with there gen 4 surefit.
http://www.vintageair.com/2015%20Cat...talog%2050.pdf
http://grunionfabrication.com/images/10401-VUY-A.jpg

WannaBe68 08-28-2016 08:00 PM

RangerDanger - Thanks Brother...
The other day I found a thread where a guy used this very unit, but can't find the thread now! The unit I posted at the beginning is just too wide. 27" across and the BTU's it puts out will be way over kill. So, I think I might be looking at mini slim too.

Are you planning to start your project any time soon?

ranger danger 08-28-2016 08:07 PM

Mine will be going in no later than next spring.

Hart_Rod 08-29-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger danger (Post 7696499)
I am looking at doing the same thing you are. I was advised by Vintage Air to install there Mini Slimline unit in the rear. Its designed to work in tandem with there gen 4 surefit.
http://www.vintageair.com/2015%20Cat...talog%2050.pdf
http://grunionfabrication.com/images/10401-VUY-A.jpg

That looks like a nice setup. I'm going to get mine running first and see how the single unit works. If he can't keep the burb cool, I will purchase that setup and install it under my 3rd row seat. Thanks for posting!

ranger danger 08-29-2016 09:27 AM

I use my burb as a bedroom when the little women and I go camping so under the seat won't work. I intend to build a custom enclosure around the unit to conceal it.

WannaBe68 08-29-2016 09:31 AM

Hart Rod,

I saw in another thread a guy thinking about putting the rear air under the third row seat. He even had it mocked-up sitting on the floor. If I remember correctly everyone told him not to do it, because all of the cold air will just hang around the floor area and freeze the passengers feet. And then that football field sized radiant collector roof keeps the other top 2/3rds of the interior warm...

I am interested in hearing how your front AC system handles the whole Sub. When are you putting in your set-up?

Hart_Rod 08-29-2016 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBe68 (Post 7697638)
Hart Rod,

I saw in another thread a guy thinking about putting the rear air under the third row seat. He even had it mocked-up sitting on the floor. If I remember correctly everyone told him not to do it, because all of the cold air will just hang around the floor area and freeze the passengers feet. And then that football field sized radiant collector roof keeps the other top 2/3rds of the interior warm...

I am interested in hearing how your front AC system handles the whole Sub. When are you putting in your set-up?

There won't be many people sitting in my 3rd row seat very often, so I'm not too worried about their toes, :lol:. I also have all tinted windows and will put double insulation on every inside surface of the truck that I can. As far as the GEN IV unit, I have everything installed, but I'm waiting on some parts to fire up my truck. It will probably be next summer before I can truly test the true capabilities of the single unit.

ranger danger 08-29-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 7697740)
There won't be many people sitting in my 3rd row seat very often, so I'm not too worried about their toes, :lol:. I also have all tinted windows and will put double insulation on every inside surface of the truck that I can. As far as the GEN IV unit, I have everything installed, but I'm waiting on some parts to fire up my truck. It will probably be next summer before I can truly test the true capabilities of the single unit.

Please let us know how it works!! I really want A/C for next summer!

5150 09-09-2017 12:40 PM

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I just bought the slimline unit and trying to decide on where to install it. It appears that I'll have to fabricate some brackets if I plan on putting it where the original 72 unit went. I'm interested to see where people have installed theirs.

Hotrodgn 09-09-2017 01:39 PM

Curious as well. I need something for the rear that looks like it belongs in a 70 gmc, performs well, and doesn't get in the way.

LuckyScott 09-09-2017 03:09 PM

Does it have to be mounted up high? How about just mounting it on the floor back by the tailgate? Maybe make a little box and carpet it to make it look clean?

Hart_Rod 09-09-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 8035655)
Bringing this thread back from the dead. I just bought the slimline unit and trying to decide on where to install it. It appears that I'll have to fabricate some brackets if I plan on putting it where the original 72 unit went. I'm interested to see where people have installed theirs.

Will it fit under the rear seat?

Hotrodgn 09-09-2017 05:02 PM

I can't imagine it being real effective under the seat. Mounted up high or at least having ventilation up high makes the most sense.

5150 09-09-2017 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8035795)
Will it fit under the rear seat?

No sir

hdman6465 09-12-2017 06:19 PM

I have tried the Gen 4 sure fit, and it is not up to the job on a burb. I now have a Vintage Air monster cooler and it seems to do the job. I do not have a third row seat, so I cant tell how comfortable it is back there, but the Monster cooler is a BIG improvement over the Sure Fit. I never had any luck trying to piggyback a unit with the Sure Fit. Used the recommended compressor, tried two different units, etc. Finally gave up.Insulation and dark windows are a must.

BGarza13x 09-13-2017 11:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I haven't tackled the AC yet, mostly out of fear. I can't tell what one of the previous owners was thinking. Custom carpet-covered boxes with air vents and speakers. Worried about trying to figure out what is worth keeping or if i should chuck it all in the trash. Surely some AC parts might still be useful?