The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Chevy orange? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=396293)

ewoody625 04-07-2010 12:39 PM

Chevy orange?

I found a color on a truck I really like I was told it's stock chevy orange. Is that the same as chevy hugger orange? It didn't look like the same color the chevy orange looks a little darker.

HuggerCST 04-07-2010 01:21 PM

Re: Chevy orange?

2 Attachment(s)
Yes, Chevy orange is the same as Hugger Orange. It was also called Carousel red. :crazy: Mine is that color, but you may not be able to get a true sense of the color in a picture.

ewoody625 04-07-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3906300)
Yes, Chevy orange is the same as Hugger Orange. It was also called Carousel red. :crazy: Mine is that color, but you may not be able to get a true sense of the color in a picture.

Yeah I see what you mean yours looks more red then orange.

Keith Seymore 04-07-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Yes, Chevy orange is the same as Hugger Orange. It was also called Carousel red. :crazy:

The different Marketing branches can and do have different noun names for the same colors. Additionally, Engineering and the Studio can also have different names for the same colors:

Engineering: "Black"

Studio: "Midnight Black"

Chevrolet: "Tuxedo Black"

GMC: "Professional Grade Black"

Cadillac: "Black Diamond Tri-coat" (Premium paint)

That's why I always go by the RPO code or the WA number...

Incidently, I was telling this to a friend of mine the other day. I had to go over to the GM Design Studio for a meeting and, while I was there, I noticed they had the room lined with pictures/images of vehicles and who their target buyers were. Sure enough, as I was standing there, I saw a Cadillac document and the color was.....

...Black Diamond Tri-coat.

:lol:

ewoody625 04-07-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

I didnt see the pic of your bed before. the bed looks orange but it looks red in the other pic so i guess it just depends how the light hits it?

ewoody625 04-07-2010 03:49 PM

So what is the code for the color im looking for? Chevy orange/Hugger orange

HuggerCST 04-07-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewoody625 (Post 3906521)
I didnt see the pic of your bed before. the bed looks orange but it looks red in the other pic so i guess it just depends how the light hits it?

I think it's more how it appears in pictures, or on a computer screen. In my opinion it never looks red in person, even in the shade.
I think that the original paint code was 72, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone else can confirm.

ewoody625 04-07-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3906580)
I think it's more how it appears in pictures, or on a computer screen. In my opinion it never looks red in person, even in the shade.
I think that the original paint code was 72, but I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Thanks for the info. You have a beautiful truck by the way.

Jerblazer72 04-08-2010 10:17 PM

Guys,
Not exactly sure how to insert a link here but there is a great discussion in an old post regarding the orange paint codes. I have been really scouring the site for the orange codes because I have decided to paint my 72 truck orange. There is a difference between orange and hugger orange. The hugger is more of a red tone and the orange is more well, orange so to speak. Here is my attempt at the link insertion.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...8&postcount=49

I hope it works and helps you out. I have liked the look of the color "atomic orange" it was a corvette orange. It is a bit on the rust side of orange.

ewoody625 04-09-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerblazer72 (Post 3909328)
Guys,
Not exactly sure how to insert a link here but there is a great discussion in an old post regarding the orange paint codes. I have been really scouring the site for the orange codes because I have decided to paint my 72 truck orange. There is a difference between orange and hugger orange. The hugger is more of a red tone and the orange is more well, orange so to speak. Here is my attempt at the link insertion.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...8&postcount=49

I hope it works and helps you out. I have liked the look of the color "atomic orange" it was a corvette orange. It is a bit on the rust side of orange.

I have seen the atomic orange it is a nice color.

wlevick 05-08-2010 09:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is "Hugger Orange"...PPG Concept single stage.

HuggerCST 05-08-2010 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlevick (Post 3965353)
This is "Hugger Orange"...PPG Concept single stage.

Nice truck! It's funny how pictures make it look red, isn't it? Mine is a lot more orange in person compared to pics here.

hayhauler71 05-09-2010 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GM 99 hugger orange

ewoody625 05-10-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuggerCST (Post 3965579)
Nice truck! It's funny how pictures make it look red, isn't it? Mine is a lot more orange in person compared to pics here.

The pics do make it look red. I can't decide if I want to use this color or not. Nice trucks by the way.

ewoody625 05-10-2010 12:51 PM

How close is omaha orange to hugger? I was given some omaha orange, I'm probably just gonna use that cause well it was free lol and I don't have a huge budget for paint, or for this whole project for that matter lol.
Thanks again for all your input. This site is amazing, I'd be lost without it.
Eric

DENTON 07-29-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewoody625 (Post 3968154)
How close is omaha orange to hugger? I was given some omaha orange, I'm probably just gonna use that cause well it was free lol and I don't have a huge budget for paint, or for this whole project for that matter lol.
Eric

x2

how is Omaha Orange different from Orange?

ljackson 07-29-2010 08:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am using U-haul orange that was given to me. It is in dupont ChromaOne AU. It is a great looking color.

BigDan3131 08-02-2010 12:20 AM

There are soooo many variation on any one color its mind blowing. You could have three cars all painted the same exact color and color code yet no two will look the same unless they both came from the same batch of paint and were painted by the same painter. Other times its what color primer they shot it on or how many coats they applied there are too many variables.

turp mcspray 08-02-2010 09:48 AM

They used an orange that was a lot lighter (more yellow). I thought that was called Omaha orange, but I am not 100% on that.

Chevydude56 08-02-2010 11:37 PM

Omaha orange

http://www.eastwood.com/media/catalo...95/p38979a.jpg

HeavyD 08-04-2010 02:37 AM

Oranges never show up properly on computer pics. Best way before deciding is to get a $20 spray bomb mixed up and paint a scrap fender or something and see if it is what you want.

lax54650 08-04-2010 07:09 PM

omaha orange is what i call county truck orange. a fleet color that has been around forever. i personaly prefer the hugger orange on 68-69 camaros and firebirds. also was 75 corvette "flame red". redder more pop. i used that color on my first paint job first car 73 bug.
talking with barry k from spi, orange soaks up sunlight and pops more the longer it is in the sun so does yellow. to help it pop use white sealer or primer under it.
we painted a regional short track drivers car for years and used pure mixing tint orange no other color added to mix. on it. VERY VERY bright and looked a lot like the "hugger orange" referenced above.

SWB4x4 08-13-2010 03:46 PM

Hugger Orange FTW! BEST Chevy color by far!

Wildstreak 11-14-2010 11:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ive been wondering myself what the difference was between "hugger" and "chevy orange" . But this thread has me confused. I had the impression that hugger orange had more red in it. I have a paint code page from ppg for 1971 and 1972 and theres clearly two different color oranges. Maybe the color reference changes for different years, because 1970 just has orange and red orange, and to me the red orange looks like hugger orange.

Ive also added another photo of the paint I would like to match on this truck, what would you guys say it is, chevy orange?

Foot Stomper 12-16-2015 06:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ewoody625 (Post 3968154)
Eric

Bump

ewoody625, can you post a picture of your Omaha Orange? I'm pretty sure that's what I'm going with but would love to see it on your truck.

My neighbour has a 69 Camera and it's definitely hugger orange and is more red than Omaha Orange by my spray out (UNO).

This 35 Chevy https://goo.gl/photos/kh7DMhs9UTtuy4Gq7 is a dead match to my spray out of Omaha Orange although I couldn't confirm with owner.

Paint is tricky... we are literately dealing with a rainbow of colours!!