The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Bouncy Ride (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=786802)

Android04 05-13-2019 08:51 AM

Bouncy Ride

Happy Monday C10 Family.

Just need a little advice here. I have a SWB C10 on air, I'm running Dominator D2600 bags all the way around. I originally was running some KYB with shock extenders in the rear but recently upgraded to the Belltech Street Performance Shocks 2104HA. Since the install it seems like my ride height is bouncy as all get out in the rear. I usually drive with about 30psi in the rear, and regardless of how much more air I put in it or take out it's still real rough.

So my questions; since these are drop shocks should I now remove the shock relocation kit and mount them back to factory location? Should I run a different shock in the rear? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Andrew

Overdriven 05-13-2019 09:00 PM

Re: Bouncy Ride

The only way to determine if the shocks are the proper length is to remove them and measure. Measure the shocks compressed and extended, then measure the shock mounting holes while aired out and at ride height. Btw you want the shock to be longer than your mount measurement at ride height. If the shock is bottoming out or fully extends this can create a harsh ride.

You might want to check into shocks from a vendor like NoLimit, PB or others. They might be more expensive but they’ve been tested and/or valved to the vendors specs. Air bags behave a little different from coil springs particularly on rebound

Android04 05-14-2019 09:25 AM

Thank you overdriven, I will pull them off and measure them and go from there.

PGSigns 05-15-2019 09:46 AM

Better describe "ride height is bouncy as all get out" Is the height changing? Is it a stiff bounce? Have you just ran the shocks to full extension as you added more air? They are good shocks you just need to make sure as mentioned above you have the correct length.
Jimmy

Android04 05-15-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGSigns (Post 8525924)
Better describe "ride height is bouncy as all get out" Is the height changing? Is it a stiff bounce? Have you just ran the shocks to full extension as you added more air? They are good shocks you just need to make sure as mentioned above you have the correct length.
Jimmy

Thanks for the reply PGSigns. While at ride height it is bouncy over large bumps, pot holes, speed bumps, etc. I have a feeling I'm running out of shock. So this weekend I plan to C-Notch my truck and then measure out the shocks and see if the relocation kit is causing them to run out. If that's the case then I'm going to move to the original shock location and remeasure and go from there.

SCOTI 05-15-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8525984)
Thanks for the reply PGSigns. While at ride height it is bouncy over large bumps, pot holes, speed bumps, etc. I have a feeling I'm running out of shock. So this weekend I plan to C-Notch my truck and then measure out the shocks and see if the relocation kit is causing them to run out. If that's the case then I'm going to move to the original shock location and remeasure and go from there.

What year truck?
What shock relocation 'kit'?
What are the shock lengths old vs. new? (Fully compressed; @ ride height; fully extended)

Android04 05-15-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8526111)
What year truck?
What shock relocation 'kit'?
What are the shock lengths old vs. new? (Fully compressed; @ ride height; fully extended)

CPP Rear shock relocation kit
Compressed Length: 10.00"
Extended Length: 14.75"
(based on their website)

SCOTI 05-15-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Android04 (Post 8526122)
CPP Rear shock relocation kit
Compressed Length: 10.00"
Extended Length: 14.75"
(based on their website)

Based on their provided specs, you need to measure them @ ride height & that should help determine a solution. With CPP, I would personally verify their specs are correct on the shocks.

PGSigns 05-16-2019 11:43 AM

The shock relocation kits are there to help improve the shock angle. Going back to the stock setup is just going to make that angle worse. In my 65 when I went to air i made brackets to put the top shock mounts behind the axle similar to the kit from No-Limit. It really does a good job of getting the shock where it can work well. http://nolimit.net/products#!/~/prod...32&id=26244502
Jimmy