The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Original White walls - suppliers? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748704)

Coley 10-18-2017 01:44 PM

Original White walls - suppliers?

Anyone know who makes/supplies original (thin line) white walls tires for the 67-'72' trucks?
Ideally it would be a 235-75R15" tire with a C load rating
...these aren't the antique wide walls stuff for the old 50's cars but the thinner line/strip whitewalls.

I know they are out there but always best to check with the 'gold standard' of Gm truck parts and information here on the forum....lol

...that said, anyone running original whitewalls on their original trucks or resto's?.....if you have pics or feedback, post 'em up.

All good
Coley:chevy:

100%Chevy 10-18-2017 02:01 PM

Re: Original White walls - suppliers?

I use them on my 68,c-10 and my 65 Impala.
Photobucket won't let me post pictures until I pay them $399.00 a year for that priviledge.so,I'll get another host instead!
I usually buy mine from the local tire dealer.(American Tire) They have to order it.
Have you asked Canadian Tire?
Mike.:chevy:

Coley 10-18-2017 02:10 PM

I'd love to see the pics on the '68 C10....and the impala (nice cars!)
Have you tried to upload pics directly to the website?....so long as the file size is reduced its pretty straight forward using the 'manage attachments' options...
As for Canadian Tire...no, I haven't checked there yet...although I get the feeling they are kind of a 'general tires for the public' kind of place....sort of like Costco.
I'm assuming the white walls are considered slightly 'special' because they are no longer very common...so they might have a specialty supplier.

SIXTY9 10-18-2017 02:22 PM

Have you checked cokertire.com, they sell and make a lot of tires for vintage vehicles.

Already Gone 10-18-2017 02:33 PM

These Hankooks, from personal experience Hankook makes a great tire, are the only ones i have found witha the thin whitewall. They are more acar tire than a light truck tire but it you jsy use your truck as a cruiser and daily summer driver they shouls work fine.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

Coley 10-18-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8063285)
These Hankooks, from personal experience Hankook makes a great tire, are the only ones i have found witha the thin whitewall. They are more acar tire than a light truck tire but it you jsy use your truck as a cruiser and daily summer driver they shouls work fine.

Geez, those look close.....is that what you have on yours?...didn't you have whitewalls on the truck at some point Greg?

brown7373 10-18-2017 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a set of Toyo radials in 235/75 15. I bought them from my local battery & tire dealer and paid $550 for 5 tires, mounted and balanced. I bought them in March of 2014. They have been driven 3 times on vacation from south Florida to NC mountains with no problems. Smooth, quiet and handle nicely.

Already Gone 10-18-2017 03:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8063290)
Geez, those look close.....is that what you have on yours?...didn't you have whitewalls on the truck at some point Greg?

There were white walls on the pink and white truck when I bought it in 2001. I've never had them on anything since.

Coley 10-18-2017 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...here is my previous '72 Highlander, (...which unfortunately was stolen and never recovered)

Very similar and nearly identical to my current blue/white '72....but I need to renew the paint on my current truck to measure up to my original one.

That said, this look (whitewalls) with full disc P01's always appealed to me.

My current tires are black walls and I will probably be replacing them next year....and probably with whitewalls.

All good
Coley

1971KYC10 10-18-2017 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got these from Coker. Matched the original double whitewalls my C10 came off the showroom with.

Harrison. 10-18-2017 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 8063285)

Yup, don't know that they're C rated but I have these on my F100 (gasp!) and they're great.

57Suburb 10-18-2017 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm using the Hankooks as well.

Already Gone 10-18-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harrison. (Post 8063378)
Yup, don't know that they're C rated but I have these on my F100 (gasp!) and they're great.

Unles you are going to do heavy hauling like acamper or big heavy loads the Hankooks should be ideal on a C10.

Coley 10-18-2017 05:12 PM

Very nice.....those look very sharp, in my opinion.

Quick question tho' for the Coker (BF Goodrich) and Hankooks....are those all radials?

That is something I definitely don't want original...ie 'bias ply'.....lol....so definitely want to go with radials.

As for the load rating, if they are 'C' that is great. In a modern radial that makes them a higher load rating than the original tires that came on the truck...which I think was around 1500lb capacity each.
A 'C' rating usually bumps that close to (or above) 2000 lbs each all day.

1971KYC10 10-18-2017 05:19 PM

Mine are bias ply. Wanted the original look and feel...LOL

100%Chevy 10-18-2017 06:39 PM

Well,photobucket is working now!
Here's my 68 with I believe Cooper 235/15's.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...ecarpics60.jpg

My Impala(Caprice option)with Hankook 225/14's.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/a...t/DSCF2597.jpg

Mike.:chevy:

Already Gone 10-18-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8063394)
Very nice.....those look very sharp, in my opinion.

Quick question tho' for the Coker (BF Goodrich) and Hankooks....are those all radials?

That is something I definitely don't want original...ie 'bias ply'.....lol....so definitely want to go with radials.

As for the load rating, if they are 'C' that is great. In a modern radial that makes them a higher load rating than the original tires that came on the truck...which I think was around 1500lb capacity each.
A 'C' rating usually bumps that close to (or above) 2000 lbs each all day.

Yes theHankooks and Toyos are radials. Look up the Toyos Colin, they are called Eclipse

brown7373 10-19-2017 09:08 AM

I have the dual while strip on my 70 Bonneville convertible, and they are bias ply. A lot of the manufacturers no longer make white strip tires, and/or there size selection is limited. I tried to buy Goodyear but no go. I was skeptical of Toyo because I never heard of them, but a friend high up in the rubber industry (he travels world wide) told me Toyo was highly regarded in the rubber industry.

dfwright 10-19-2017 04:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cooper Trendsetter's - 235/75 R15's from discount tire.

ls1nova71 10-19-2017 10:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the Hankooks too, not a bad tire for the price. Guess I don't have any current pics of my truck though since this is the most recent one I could find... :lol: IMO, if you have the factory full wheel covers, they need white wall tires!

CG 10-20-2017 07:47 AM

Personally I would never use Coker no matter how nice a guy Corky seems to be. If you do a search over on the HAMB the amount of threads about people having problems with their tires is astounding. Its all very odd to me because the company is obviously doing great.

If I was to buy any sort of specialty tire I would use these guys, Diamond Back Tires. I got a set of redlines from them and they are built on Firestone Radials you can buy from Firestone. They do all sorts of specialty tires, and I don't think I have read a bad thing about them yet.

https://www.dbtires.com/index.html

Coley 10-20-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 8064244)
IMO, if you have the factory full wheel covers, they need white wall tires!

....your absolutely right.
Blackwall or raised white letter with a full disc hubcap is not going to cut it in my opinion either.:chevy:

Coley

Casper42 02-21-2024 09:06 PM

Double whitewalls from the factory (???) I've never heard of, nor seen such a thing for these trucks. It does look nice, maybe

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971KYC10 (Post 8063371)
Got these from Coker. Matched the original double whitewalls my C10 came off the showroom with.

jocko 02-21-2024 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mid-model year 71 Cheyenne Super introduction and 71 model year Light Duty Truck brochures for reference below. Single and double ww are both factory correct, at least by 71. I haven't seen them on pre-71 trucks from the factory, but someone else may know more about the earlier years. I think both look great (and I agree with the above posts about them looking best when a C10 has PA1 or PO1 full wheel covers).

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 02-22-2024 12:00 AM

Went I went shopping, research seemed to show Diamondback Tires was my best option.
https://www.performanceplustire.com/...antique-tires/