The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   POR-15 Opinions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=684585)

Ian71GMC 10-07-2015 09:43 AM

POR-15 Opinions

In about three weeks from now, I'll be taking off my piece of junk 8ft fleetside bed to swap it for a flat bed. The flat bed is currently my uncle's, but he doesn't want it anymore, so he's giving it to me. You can't pass up free stuff. :devil: But before the flat bed goes on, I need to take care of my frame. So, I plan on grinding off all the rust and painting it. I don't have the money at the time to have it powder coated, so my question is: how have your experiences with POR-15 gone? Time, effort, application, and results? I've heard it's best to paint it on like painting a wall, but I want some opinions on it. Any help is appreciated. :metal:

Ian71GMC 10-07-2015 09:58 AM

Re: POR-15 Opinions

Or maybe some other options, such as Rustoleum, etc.

Davidf 10-07-2015 10:01 AM

If you are not going to media blast the frame, epoxy prime, and conventional paint, then POR-15 is a very good alternative. Get as much of the dirt and loose rust off as you can prior to painting. Most apply POR-15 with a brush. It tends to flow out well and look decent.

LockDoc 10-07-2015 10:54 AM

I have done 2 frames with it using a brush and it dried as smooth as glass. No brush marks what so ever.

It also goes farther if you brush it. I did my frame with less than a quart. (one coat) After the fact, I recommend 2 coats.

I think this is a good product but I think the jury is still out on the longevity. One of my questions is whether rust will start creeping under it around the bolt holes and areas where you can't get full coverage with it.

I have to spend a little time here on my observations of the POR15 product. First off if you have never used it and you are thinking about it I can't stress enough to read ALL of the instructions, TWICE. Being old school I have to learn all lessons the hard way. Two important points, #1- Wear some "good" rubber or latex gloves. (don't wear the ones you got from your buddy over at the ambulance barn, or that cute nurse at the hospital, they aren't heavy enough) If you don't wear gloves when you apply it you can wear them three weeks later when you go to Uncle Harry's funeral, to cover the POR15 that's STILL on your hands. #2- If your bestest buddy Paul, (you know the one that's always pulling your leg about something) tells you to put a piece of Saran Wrap between the lid and the can after you have used some out of it don't say "yeah, right". Do it! Otherwise you'll end up having to cut the center out of the lid with tin snips and pour what's left in the can into a jar. If there is any paint residue around the lip of the can and it sets a week or two you will NOT be able to get the lid off of the can, period! Oh, and another thing, if you wear coveralls to protect your best pair of pants and you drip the paint onto the coveralls they will now be your second best pair of pants. You will not be able to wipe the drip off before it soaks through to your good pants.

I almost forgot.... If you get it on any threads that you have to get a nut or bolt on/off of plan on using a tap, die, or thread chaser to clean the threads up first.

Oh, and still one more thing, be sure and put two coats on it if you are not going to top coat it.

Hope this helps.....

LockDoc

leddzepp 10-07-2015 11:13 AM

I've used it for years, no complaints. Follow instructions and wear a respirator (not a dust mask).

The1960APE 10-07-2015 11:44 AM

I have used traditional paint, powder coat and POR-15 on frames, my current project (1961 Apache) is under the knife right now and I am using POR-15, I needle gunned the frame and brushed POR-15, I have to say it looks really nice, no brush marks, and seems to be a very durable coating, much stronger than regular paint! I like the fact that it can easily be touched up...

DarkFlounder 10-07-2015 12:07 PM

What about using POR-15 on chassis parts, like axles?

Davidf 10-07-2015 12:19 PM

Absolutely use it on axles, control arms, springs, rods, you name it. Works just as well. And, it is a rust encapsulator which means you paint it right over rust to seal the moisture/oxygen from the rust and thus stopping it from spreading. Paint Over Rust-15

mmiddle 10-07-2015 12:27 PM

READ LOCKDOC'S POST 3 TIMES!!!!!!
Seriously! Everything he said is spot on. EVERYTHING

I love POR-15
Go ahead a buy the POR-15 Marine Clean and rust converter as well. After you use it you will not care about powder coating the frame and undercarriage anymore.
PS, if you ignore the part about cling wrap around the lid then go to Home Depot and buy a stock of 1 gallon empty paint cans. You will need them each time you use some and have to cut the lid off the can.
The stuff dries hard as a rock and does NOT come off your skin or clothes. Trust us in this!

Mark

HeavyD 10-07-2015 12:36 PM

Do you guys feel it has a slightly milky appearance? A saw a freshly done frame in a garage, and it didnt seem as black as say plain semi gloss black paint does. This is my only concern, although i see a por15 topcoat for sale.

brimc 10-07-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 7333085)
I have done 2 frames with it using a brush and it dried as smooth as glass. No brush marks what so ever.

It also goes farther if you brush it. I did my frame with less than a quart. (one coat) After the fact, I recommend 2 coats.

I think this is a good product but I think the jury is still out on the longevity. One of my questions is whether rust will start creeping under it around the bolt holes and areas where you can't get full coverage with it.

I have to spend a little time here on my observations of the POR15 product. First off if you have never used it and you are thinking about it I can't stress enough to read ALL of the instructions, TWICE. Being old school I have to learn all lessons the hard way. Two important points, #1- Wear some "good" rubber or latex gloves. (don't wear the ones you got from your buddy over at the ambulance barn, or that cute nurse at the hospital, they aren't heavy enough) If you don't wear gloves when you apply it you can wear them three weeks later when you go to Uncle Harry's funeral, to cover the POR15 that's STILL on your hands. #2- If your bestest buddy Paul, (you know the one that's always pulling your leg about something) tells you to put a piece of Saran Wrap between the lid and the can after you have used some out of it don't say "yeah, right". Do it! Otherwise you'll end up having to cut the center out of the lid with tin snips and pour what's left in the can into a jar. If there is any paint residue around the lip of the can and it sets a week or two you will NOT be able to get the lid off of the can, period! Oh, and another thing, if you wear coveralls to protect your best pair of pants and you drip the paint onto the coveralls they will now be your second best pair of pants. You will not be able to wipe the drip off before it soaks through to your good pants.

I almost forgot.... If you get it on any threads that you have to get a nut or bolt on/off of plan on using a tap, die, or thread chaser to clean the threads up first.

Oh, and still one more thing, be sure and put two coats on it if you are not going to top coat it.

Hope this helps.....

LockDoc

What he said X2
It is thin. You need two coats minimum. It is much more work and time consuming but worth it in the end IMO.

raggedjim 10-07-2015 12:52 PM

Just to add, I painted with a brush the frame on a 64 chevy truck with POR 20 years ago. My cousin bought it and still owns it. I checked it out last year and the only place that didn't stay coated was a place I had wire brushed to a smooth surface. POR likes rough surfaces to adhere well, if the surface is too smooth, it will eventually flake off.

Good luck, Rg

WarMonger 10-07-2015 01:00 PM

great info in this thread. I'm getting ready to do the frame and suspension parts on the 72 Blazer

leddzepp 10-07-2015 01:00 PM

Buy it in the small cans, use it once and throw away the can. No need to dicker around with Saran Wrap or worry about the unused portion hardening.

bigmac73 10-07-2015 01:23 PM

I POR'ed my frame, I by the 6 pack of the mini cans , because once you open it, it will not last long, so best to use small cans at a time , also you need to use a top coat it with something to protect it from UV rays if it is out in the sun, I used the sponge brushes ( I bought a bag from harbor freight on the cheap)
remember once it is on you , it takes forever to come off

cdowns 10-07-2015 01:40 PM

I prefer leaving the lid on the paint can and I drill a couple of 1/8 hholes one to pour and one for a vent and pur a small amt into a can to use then seal it up with self tapping screws after a few uses you'll need to rotate the holes cause you wont b able to get the self tappers out but that way the stuff don't get air into it and spoil

RustyBucket 10-07-2015 01:41 PM

IT'S GOOD STUFF.
Buy small cans and punch or drill 2 small diameter holes on opposite sides of the lid. Pour out what you need through the hole then take two short fat sheetmetal screws with philips heads and screw 'em tightly into the lid. Tighten them carefully and don't strip the "threads" in the lid and you can keep and use it for years. Open and close as much as you want. Don't want to waste it, it's not cheap.

EARNHARDT#3 10-07-2015 02:08 PM

Aluminum foil between the lid and can when closing it seems to work great.

dfwright 10-07-2015 02:36 PM

A few observations from my use of POR-15. Used gloss black on the frame, satin black on the underside of the cab. The gloss black is nice. The satin black I was not pleased with the final finish.

Once you open the can, the clock starts running on you. You can't store the stuff for very long after the can is opened, but I have taken others advice, and stored the can in the freezer, after use, and it did seem to last a little longer. I wish I had done the drilling-the-lid-and-using-screws trick myself. Even with saran wrap under the lid, sometimes they are on for good!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 10-07-2015 03:56 PM

I've read spraying POR-15 can be a death sentence. Brush/sponge on.

Davidf 10-07-2015 04:00 PM

Not harmful if a proper respirator is used. Spraying catalyzed automotive paint is just as hazardous, if not more so (arguably). you don't want that "super glue" catalyst hardening in your lungs.

tucker69 10-07-2015 04:15 PM

I have been using POR for years...if installed correctly it is the closest thing to powdercoating. I like to roll mine on with foam roller...there are several techniques to application that help in the outcome of your project. keep in mind por actually adheres to rust better than it does to cleaned metal. something to do with the chemical reaction..anyway, I like por and it works great with a harded than paint finish...in my opinion.

Redline novdog 10-07-2015 07:45 PM

good stuff/nasty stuff. Works good on anything it comes in contact with skin/garage floor/paint.Works good though. I've used it several times,make sure the surface is clean of grease/dirt/dust
Thanks for the tip on the drill and plug on the can guys.I'll try it next time!

GRX 10-07-2015 09:27 PM

All great advice above. Would only add one thing. Do use the Marine Clean and Metal Prep as the instructions say or the POR-15 will not last.

POR-15 application page:
.. http://por15bc.com/por-15.htm

special-K 10-07-2015 10:48 PM

My opinion on POR-15 is Masterseries is better. Check into that and see what you think. I've used both.