The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project Madera: A Jimmy GT (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=570856)

hgs_notes 08-07-2015 03:31 PM

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

So why not just use a grab handle for the E-brake?

BTW, it's August. Have a chassis yet?

jlsanborn 08-07-2015 09:12 PM

I'd stick with a manual brake, hand or foot operated. Unless you're some drifter or something I don't think it's purpose would be for "dynamic" use. If you're away from the house and had a differential failure, u-joint failure or something like that you'll want one that works.

I had an '07 GTI and never used the hand brake. When wifey parked it in the winter she'd yard on the handle and it'd always be frozen ON in the morning (moisture in the cables). Her '09 Tiguan has an electric park brake that operates all on it's own, every time. It also has a selectable feature where it sets when you come to a stop in gear. You can let your foot off the brake, then it automatically releases when you push on the gas pedal. My '12 Silverado has a similar feature (not selectable) where the brake comes on if your rolling backwards in drive. It holds you in place if your stopped, facing uphill.

The electric actuator kind of falls in line with the rest of your tech, but unless you're going to automate it, I'd keep this one simple and reliable.

$0.02

skorpioskorpio 08-10-2015 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hgs_notes (Post 7266696)
So why not just use a grab handle for the E-brake?

BTW, it's August. Have a chassis yet?

I don't know, seems kind of wrong some how to have a grab handle for the brake but not have a shift lever. Also the best I could come up with for a lever I liked the look of was to adapt one from a Jeep, most of the aftermarket brake levers just looked cheesy to me.

And in answer to your 2nd question, um nope.

watahyahknow 08-10-2015 04:27 PM

maibe just use a line lock system on the rearbrakes

mcmlxix 08-11-2015 01:47 AM

I had originally grabbed a brake lever out of an early 2000 Range Rover. Well built with a nice handle and leather boot. My problem is the mounting location. I kept changing my center console design, and may end up going with e-stopp so I can just have a button on the dash... They did have something in the works with UPS so that the brake automatically sets when you put the vehicle in park...

I also always use the e-brake even with an automatic. I would rather have the have the pressure of the car (on an incline) on the brake, rather then the parking pawl in the automatic transmission.

gringoloco 08-11-2015 11:24 AM

What's the latest from PB?

skorpioskorpio 08-27-2015 03:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've made some pretty wordy posts in this thread but a picture's worth a thousand words, so here's a couple grand worth:
Attachment 1440902
Attachment 1440903

skorpioskorpio 08-27-2015 04:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
...and with the top:
Attachment 1440909
Attachment 1440910

jlsanborn 08-27-2015 07:27 PM

Looks awesome! If you can pull it off it'll be one of a kind in so many ways.

Hellaflush3d 08-27-2015 07:57 PM

Nice renders ;) :P

skorpioskorpio 08-28-2015 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellaflush3d (Post 7289888)
Nice renders ;) :P

Yes, yes they are. you'd a man!

NorCal 09-11-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio (Post 7289685)
I've made some pretty wordy posts in this thread but a picture's worth a thousand words, so here's a couple grand worth:
Attachment 1440902
Attachment 1440903

Very nice! That's also a sweet looking rendering, who did that for you?

EDIT: hellaflush3d, i assume. Great work.

skorpioskorpio 09-12-2015 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCal (Post 7305994)
Very nice! That's also a sweet looking rendering, who did that for you?

EDIT: hellaflush3d, i assume. Great work.

You assume correctly. This one is actually my favorite of the renders he did:
Attachment 1445962

Z10 09-14-2015 10:50 PM

What a great build! Really fun to watch.
:gmc2:

skorpioskorpio 09-27-2015 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z10 (Post 7309175)
What a great build! Really fun to watch.

Thanks, always appreciate the kind words.

skorpioskorpio 09-27-2015 06:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm looking for an opinion here, a lot of the '60s-70s convertibles had the windshield frame clad in stainless trim, I'm considering the idea of going with that look by nickel plating the frame, the vent window door supports, and of course the vent window frames. Here is 2 renders I had Chad the render master do, the original with the blacked out windshield/vent trim and one with those pieces plated (as well as the mirrors and wiper arms). Which do you guys like better?

Blacked Out:
Attachment 1450682

Nickel Plated:
Attachment 1450683

jlsanborn 09-27-2015 07:12 PM

I get the cleanliness of the concept, and it'd be cool as hell but I like the look of the black frame better.

watahyahknow 09-27-2015 07:39 PM

might look better if you slant the sides inwarth a bit
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....ble-review.jpg
will give you problems fitting the side windows unless you dont make them roll down but more of a canvas pull out style

skorpioskorpio 09-27-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 7321777)
I get the cleanliness of the concept, and it'd be cool as hell but I like the look of the black frame better.

I like the black and it's certainly easier to pull off, the nickel option isn't easy at all, I'd probably need to slice the whole frame off somewhere across the firewall, have it plated then weld it back together with enough distance that it doesn't blue the plating. thought about just making the sides and top a bolt on piece but I'd bet that body flex would crack the windshield. Also it has to be all metal and really clean to do it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by watahyahknow (Post 7321816)
might look better if you slant the sides inwarth a bit
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....ble-review.jpg
will give you problems fitting the side windows unless you dont make them roll down but more of a canvas pull out style

hmm, probably a bridge too far, I like the idea and I have thought about laying down the windshield a bit as well, but all this screws with the vent windows, the fitment of the top, etc, etc. I am building this to be a daily driver, and even though I plan on modifying virtually every panel, it's still something that could be repaired if it ever needed to be without huge effort.

Z10 09-27-2015 08:24 PM

I vote black.

roushinator 03-29-2016 04:27 PM

Whats the latest?

watahyahknow 03-29-2016 04:41 PM

kindah interested too , aspecially at how far you gotten with the engine
been looking intoo some problems of my own with the jaguar inline 6
the engine is normally mounted at a 21 degree slant and i want it straight up in the truck
problem is the automatic trans , could make an adapterplate rotating the mountingholes or make a new engineplate where the trans mount too doing the same thing
but the starter cant be moved and i have doubts it will clear the bellhousing if the divit for it has rotated 21 degrees away from the starters nose
might need to cut a hole for it in the side to get everything to play nice again , i wish the bellhousing was bolted to the trans but it isnt unfortunately

T0ple55 04-16-2017 02:58 AM

Anything new on this build?? Been about year now,. Curious to know how things with PB played out

PancakeMix 05-28-2017 12:05 PM

Yea, I'm getting ready to do the same 4.2L vortec and 4L80E swap into my C50. Probably going to buy the pre- machined pump face and adapter ring and cut the bell off myself.

Any progress?