The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tail lights flickering over bumps. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=762216)

RotaryRocketeer 04-20-2018 11:00 AM

Tail lights flickering over bumps.

So, either my tail lights or brake lights are flickering when I go over bumps in the road. Seeing how my truck is a one ton, everything in the road is a bump. These are not factory brake/tails. They're the units from SuperBrightLED for flatbeds/trailers.

I didn't know anything about it until my buddy mentioned it while following me the other day. Who knows how long it's been going on but, now that I know, it's annoying the hell out of me. All other electrical systems operating normally. Any tips on where to look first? All help and suggestions appreciated.

mongocanfly 04-20-2018 01:17 PM

Re: Tail lights flickering over bumps.

look for a loose/bad ground.....other than that it would be the power side...im using the same lights [probably] and they are sealed so theres not much to check internally

Getter-Done 04-20-2018 01:34 PM

You could try a temporary (or maybe permanent) ground strap to a good ground spot.

Dead Parrot 04-20-2018 02:07 PM

Adjust the brake light switch at the pedal. Could set so that any pedal movement caused by a bump flickers the lights.

Could have been doing it for a long time. When you switched to the instant on LEDs, it became more noticeable.

RotaryRocketeer 04-20-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead Parrot (Post 8243273)
Adjust the brake light switch at the pedal. Could set so that any pedal movement caused by a bump flickers the lights.

Could have been doing it for a long time. When you switched to the instant on LEDs, it became more noticeable.

Forgot to mention, I figured that the brake light switch was the culprit as well. Drove right to the closest parts store and replaced. While the factory one was sloppy, it was not the cause. I adjusted properly with a second set of eyes to check engagement point.

RotaryRocketeer 04-20-2018 02:51 PM

Found the problem while I was fiddling with it over my lunch break. Poor wiring by PO at the 7-pin. Sealed up a couple frayed ends and stragglers and all is well. Will strip it all out and rewire soon. I was driving and noticed that the trailer brake controller light was flashing over bumps as well, so logic pointed to that circuit.

Thanks to all for the input!