The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Can Someone tell me what this electrical plug is for on Oil Pan? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768688)

65blackfleetside 08-02-2018 10:21 AM

Can Someone tell me what this electrical plug is for on Oil Pan?

1 Attachment(s)
You guys rock I could never finish this build without this form!!
So I am looking for an oil port to install my aftermarket electronic oil pressure sending unit. The cover plate drill and tap method next to oil filter is a no go- aftermarket header pipe is way too close.

This large plastic hex nut plug is located below the starter on the oil pan.
LS motor is 2005 Truck LS3 5.3. There is no lead from my new BP harness for this plug. Not sure what the factory GM intent was for it?

nsb29 08-02-2018 10:48 AM

Re: Can Someone tell me what this electrical plug is for on Oil Pan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65blackfleetside (Post 8314110)
You guys rock I could never finish this build without this form!!
So I am looking for an oil port to install my aftermarket electronic oil pressure sending unit. The cover plate drill and tap method next to oil filter is a no go- aftermarket header pipe is way too close.

This large plastic hex nut plug is located below the starter on the oil pan.
LS motor is 2005 Truck LS3 5.3. There is no lead from my new BP harness for this plug. Not sure what the factory GM intent was for it?

Is for your oil temperature there is a sending unit at the back of the motor for oil pressure the same place as a small block

65blackfleetside 08-02-2018 12:34 PM

So this used for Oil temperature? is this port too low on the block to put an after market oil pressure sending unit? I need to install the one that goes with my after market gauge set.

Correct me if i am wrong? :

I need to run 2 oil pressure sending units: one for the OEM style LS harness -located near firewall top back of block. and the one for the after market gauge set with matching ohms range of oil pressure gauge. This other sending unit came with my gauges set.

greentruck 08-02-2018 01:20 PM

There is no oil pressure provision wired into the BP harness unless you specifically requested it . No need for two sensors. Just switch out the existing oil pressure sending unit with the one that came with your gauges and run that right to the gauge or control box. Read page 9 of 12 in the BP instructions.

Macdaddy1 08-02-2018 01:26 PM

Just did this on my 5.3 ls swap. I had to buy an adapter for the autometer oil sending unit that screwed into the back of the block where the original 5.3 oil sending unit was located.

65blackfleetside 08-02-2018 02:33 PM

Got it thanks guys.
I assumed the ECM needed oil pressure readings? I will unscrew the OEM Oil Send unit and replace with the aftermarket gauge sending unit. My gauge kit came with some thread adapters.

greentruck 08-02-2018 02:39 PM

Yup. I used Dakota Digital gauges and both the temp sender and oil sender came with adapters. I ended up putting the temp sender for the Dakota Digital in the passenger side head and leaving the stock sender in the drivers head for the PCM.

Willie Makeit 08-02-2018 03:05 PM

that is an oil LEVEL sensor, not an oil temperature sensor.

NC_John 08-02-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Makeit (Post 8314299)
that is an oil LEVEL sensor, not an oil temperature sensor.

Yep!

truckdude239 08-03-2018 12:21 AM

Oil level

greentruck 08-03-2018 08:05 AM

Do any of you guys use the oil level sensor on your swaps?

ls1nova71 08-03-2018 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentruck (Post 8314722)
Do any of you guys use the oil level sensor on your swaps?

No. That's for people who don't know how to open the hood. The level has to be lower than any gearhead would allow his engine to get for it to turn on the light....

greentruck 08-03-2018 09:31 AM

:haha:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 8314755)
No. That's for people who don't know how to open the hood. The level has to be lower than any gearhead would allow his engine to get for it to turn on the light....

Gotcha. That's what I figured.

ls1nova71 08-03-2018 09:46 AM

To be honest, I did hook it up on my first swap in my Nova, but it has never come on, so seems kind of pointless now!

sprint_9 08-03-2018 10:08 PM

It comes in handy if you have an early gen 4 with DOD, I had one that burnt so much oil it would come on around 900 miles. Under half or more throttle conditions it would have enough oil up in the motor that it would trip that sensor, about 2 quarts low.