The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Gas smell in cab (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=390464)

69chevyrain 03-05-2010 11:14 PM

Gas smell in cab

I don't realy want to move the gas tank, and was wondering how not to smell gas, lately it smells stronger, im use to it but my friends are not, thank u for any advice

Zoomin 03-05-2010 11:37 PM

Re: Gas smell in cab

Start by checking the rubber hoses for splits, and make sure the clamps are good.

KevsClassics 03-05-2010 11:39 PM

Hold your breath.:lol::lol:

dan468 03-06-2010 01:14 AM

Does your truck have the fuel vapor recirculation? If these hoses become cracked, or the system was removed and not capped correctly on the gas tank this can cause the smell. It took me forever to figure it out on mine.

wzuke 03-06-2010 01:48 AM

I had a bad gas smell in mine for more than two years. Checked all of the hoses, vents the canister and connections - no luck. Recently I removed the tank and epoxied the bottom of the tank in case there was a pin hole. As I was reattaching the metal line that runs from the top of the fuel gage sending unit to below the floor, I noticed that the line was not seating properly. Got a new fitting and line and now ---- NO GAS SMELL.

matt67350 03-06-2010 02:15 AM

Check the seal on the sending unit. I replaced mine to get rid of the gas smell.

Trip59 03-06-2010 03:36 AM

Skip the Taco Bell...

Oh, that's me, 'scuse me :)

I have a wicked gas smell too, and was under it today, I noticed two grommets under the passenger side, the thing is, of the two steel hoses, only one was connected, the other was a bare, sorta flared end with no hose and an empty hole. Is that for like a return line, could that be where it's coming from on mine and anyone elses?

Trip

fdbdw 03-06-2010 09:16 AM

I had a gas odor after changing my sending unit, I used a little bit of right stuff on both sides of the sending unit gasket, odor gone

GASoline71 03-06-2010 10:33 AM

Gas fumes in the cab can also come from the engine compartment too. Check ALL of your fuel lines and fittings.

Gary

Stocker 03-06-2010 11:51 AM

Could even be a bad gas cap... the rubber (neoprene?) seal will rot after enough years.

69chevyrain 03-06-2010 12:02 PM

I know what i'm doing today, thank you very much, i hope to find it thank u for all the advice

Shaky 03-06-2010 01:08 PM

Make sure to post back with your results!

mr48chev 03-06-2010 01:37 PM

I think the guys have pretty well nailed everything I can come up with.

The sending unit gasket is a regular suspect along with fittings and hoses. If the gasket around the filler neck is in bad shape fumes might get blown back in from the cap if conditions are right (or wrong).

Pay close attention to the hose on the filler neck because those are almost always original and pretty well forgotten.

Others are a carb that Boils over when the truck is stopped, leaking fuel pump or fuel line around the engine.

And don't forget the gas jug in the bed that might be giving off fumes that get sucked back in the window going down the road.

davepl 03-06-2010 06:34 PM

When I was a kid, my Dad drove a 1968 GMC. Something was wrong with the filler neck, such that it would splash gas out into the cab. Since he smoked a pipe, he was therefore sure not to fill the tank to the top :-)

wzuke 03-07-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip59 (Post 3842770)
Skip the Taco Bell...

Oh, that's me, 'scuse me :)

I have a wicked gas smell too, and was under it today, I noticed two grommets under the passenger side, the thing is, of the two steel hoses, only one was connected, the other was a bare, sorta flared end with no hose and an empty hole. Is that for like a return line, could that be where it's coming from on mine and anyone elses?

Trip

On a vented tank, the second hole was for the vent hose line.

69chevyrain 03-07-2010 11:31 AM

I'm not sure yet what it is, i got gas yesterday and notice my gas gauge no longer works, it went way past F.

OhOneWS6 03-07-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 3843634)
When I was a kid, my Dad drove a 1968 GMC. Something was wrong with the filler neck, such that it would splash gas out into the cab. Since he smoked a pipe, he was therefore sure not to fill the tank to the top :-)

A gas cap that does not seal correctly will allow gas to slosh out of the filler neck. When I was driving my truck daily I had to put a new cap on it every couple of years to prevent this. Combination of TX heat and cheap gas caps would cause them not to last I guess.

jbristo67 03-07-2010 02:42 PM

If all else fails move the tank

el_fantasma 04-03-2017 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OhOneWS6 (Post 3845130)
A gas cap that does not seal correctly will allow gas to slosh out of the filler neck. When I was driving my truck daily I had to put a new cap on it every couple of years to prevent this. Combination of TX heat and cheap gas caps would cause them not to last I guess.

I had the common problem of gas odor when driving with window down and fuel spilling out the tank and down the side of my truck. I bought a new gas cap from LMC for $7 and issue was solved - no more smell. I don't understand this EEC stuff and there was no mention of it on the LMC site. The gas cap looks like it has no vent unless it's that tiny hole in the center so I assume that the gas tank is vented somewhere else. I have a 1972 and I assume the original tank. After driving about 5 miles I removed the cap without any suction so I think I'm OK. I guess if the venting mechanism got clogged my engine would just die, right? Final question, the old cap was locking and this new one is not. Do we really need a locking gas cap, are people stealing gas or putting stuff into your tank as a prank?

El Dorado Jim 04-03-2017 06:21 PM

I got rid of the in the cab gas tank, I had a gmc once that the tank had a rust hole in the bottom and flooded the cab with gas.....could have burned the truck to the ground if there had been a spark.....same as you smelling gas in the cab, the fumes are what ignite,,plus you gain alot of storage behind the seat and don't have to hear the gas sloshing around...bad old design on these trucks

71rehab 04-30-2017 07:45 PM

I'm having the same issue on a '71 C20 that I just acquired. Chasing down all of the suggestions here. It also feels a little damp at the bottom of the driver's side. When i reach underneath there is a gooey substance there. Any chance the PO tried to patch a pinhole leak with some gooey like substance?

Any thoughts?

At this point, if I need to replace the gas tank I may as well put it under the bed and therefore I''m not going to spend cash on a new sender gasket, gas cap etc.

Any good instructionals on the gas tank relocate? I've never done anythhing like that.

jojomiamia 05-01-2017 07:26 AM

I have just replaced my one by a new one, which was damp at the bottom and big smell with tank full. No more issue with the new one. I think metal got porous with years

Coley 05-01-2017 10:31 AM

....I always loved the smell of gas.
In moderation, its sort of like outdoor mechanical bacon smell for guys.

Coley :chevy:

71rehab 05-01-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 7930628)
....I always loved the smell of gas.
In moderation, its sort of like outdoor mechanical bacon smell for guys.

Coley :chevy:

Ha. It starts like, "Ahh smells like childhood" then 15 minutes down the road, "I wonder if I can make it back home before passing out at the wheel."

davepl 05-01-2017 11:46 AM

I sure wouldn't move the tank to solve a smell. I have the in-cab tank and keep it pretty full and it does NOT smell, nor have I ever smelled gas from it. So it's gotta be a leak or vapor or something somewhere... put more simply, when stuff is right, it won't smell, not to worry.