The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Glovebox Toolkit - Cheap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748143)

Gromit 10-09-2017 07:38 PM

Glovebox Toolkit - Cheap

3 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd share this socket to wrench adaptor I found at HF for a couple bucks.. lets you just use a 9/16ths box end wrench with a full set of sockets for a cheap and compact toolkit you can carry around and it won't be a disaster if someone steals the whole kit. It doesn't ratchet of course but this is only for emergency repairs.

With this and a cheap set of wrenches and sockets and two convertible screwdrivers and a socket extension hopefully can fix a few things on the road without carrying too much.

The carabiner wasn't my idea but it makes a good wrench holder/organizer.

notsolo 10-09-2017 07:45 PM

Re: Glovebox Toolkit - Cheap

Brilliant, you need a small pouch and your good to go.

flashed 10-09-2017 07:46 PM

Why not add a small ratchet ?

In The Ten Ring 10-09-2017 08:15 PM

I have come to the conclusion that nothing short of building my own bed tool box will suffice.

1). 3/8 inch socket set
2). 1/4 inch socket set
3). ratcheting wrench set
4). screwdrivers
5). pliers/channel locks/needle nose
6). telescoping magnet
7). jumper cables
8). wiring repair kit
9). water
10). 2 quarts oil
11). road flares/reflecting triangle
12). hi viz vest
13). jack
14). tire plug kit
15). tow strap
16). cheater bar
17). tire iron
18). STG 44 with 500 rounds
19). panzerfaust

LOL. See what I mean? :lol:

Do you know what's even more crazy? I carry items 1 - 17 plus crow bar, axe, and rugs in my car trunk. :eek:

flashed 10-09-2017 08:38 PM

I carry way to much .

Drew3 10-09-2017 08:50 PM

I personally would prefer a panzerschreck for the occasional wild T-34.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-09-2017 09:10 PM

I carried #19 + 20 on my '61 MBz190. When that blew an engine [long story] and I bought a '68 Chevy truck, it came w/ M3 Greasegun and 2.5'' bazooka. Just as effective but easier to come by parts and ammo. The seller kept the M2 .50 Cal and flex-mount, that was on the back deck, but the extra $50 he wanted for it was more than I could swing at the time.

As for the OP's kit: Agree'd, Brilliant. But since we're not shedding ounces and grams for some bicycle competition, the small space and weight of a 3/8'' ratchet justifies its addition. Nice trick with the 9/16 -- all the same.

Now, if your 9/16 Combo wrench was a GearWrench, with selectable ratchetting on the Box end, you'd have the best of both worlds.

'68OrangeSunshine 10-09-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring (Post 8057405)
I have come to the conclusion that nothing short of building my own bed tool box will suffice.

1). 3/8 inch socket set
2). 1/4 inch socket set
3). ratcheting wrench set
4). screwdrivers
5). pliers/channel locks/needle nose
6). telescoping magnet
7). jumper cables
8). wiring repair kit
9). water
10). 2 quarts oil
11). road flares/reflecting triangle
12). hi viz vest
13). jack
14). tire plug kit
15). tow strap
16). cheater bar
17). tire iron
18). STG 44 with 500 rounds
19). panzerfaust

LOL. See what I mean? :lol:

Do you know what's even more crazy? I carry items 1 - 17 plus crow bar, axe, and rugs in my car trunk. :eek:

Ten Ring: What no E-Tool? 50 pushups!

mike16 10-09-2017 10:05 PM

what? no hammer?

Leonard60 10-09-2017 10:15 PM

What happens if you need a socket and a 9/16 wrench at the same time??

'68OrangeSunshine 10-09-2017 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike16 (Post 8057541)
what? no hammer?

He uses the buttstock of his StG44.

Gromit 10-09-2017 11:53 PM

Quote:

You got me there! It certainly isn't the cost as HF sells them way cheap - I was just trying to reduce the kit to the absolute bare minimum.. My Brother-in-Law gives me grief even for carrying this much - according to him all I need is a Visa Card and a cell phone.

Quote:
What happens if you need a socket and a 9/16 wrench at the same time??

Aha! you are thinking ahead! If you look at the carabineer in the photo you'll see there is one wrench not part of the original set - that is an extra 9/16ths to hold the sockets in case needed to keep a bolt from spinning.. So in other words there are two 9/16ths in this kit. I should have mentioned that and good question.

Killer Bee 10-10-2017 12:57 AM

toolkit? did I click on a Ford site by mistake??

jjzepplin 10-10-2017 01:04 AM

Now that shiz is funny!

custom10nut 10-10-2017 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8057672)
toolkit? did I click on a Ford site by mistake??

:lol: I've l always carried a small tool kit in every vehicle I own, BUUUUT haven't had to use any of them on my own vehicles. :metal:
I've been the "Good Samaritan" for more people than I can count.
How many times have you been at the parts store, or Home Improvement store, or the Rest Stop and felt compelled to help someone?

hamjet 10-10-2017 06:52 AM

Duct tape and bailing wire here...

special-K 10-10-2017 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8057376)

My first thought. I'd loose that and be s.o.l. anyway. And tools, or anything heavy, don't go in my cardboard glovebox. But I get the term is being used in a generic way

special-K 10-10-2017 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gromit (Post 8057649)
Quote:
My Brother-in-Law gives me grief even for carrying this much - according to him all I need is a Visa Card and a cell phone.

Is your brother-in-law a woman, not much of a man, or just has a weird thing for preferring to be helpless?

muley 10-10-2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8057753)
Is your brother-in-law a woman, not much of a man, or just has a weird thing for preferring to be helpless?

... and a can opener
for the brother in law

weq92f 10-10-2017 12:48 PM

Sometimes even the best toolkit will not help and a tow is the only option. The cell phone and plastic card become priceless in these situations!

Once I had my OBD I diagnostic computer and nearly a full tool chest with me. First tow was to an auto parts store near where I broke down. Hours later, after I decided I did NOT want to replace the Opti-Spark in the parking lot, the second tow was all the way back home ( 100+ miles ).

-klb

Killer Bee 10-10-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custom10nut (Post 8057732)
:lol: I've l always carried a small tool kit in every vehicle I own, BUUUUT haven't had to use any of them on my own vehicles. :metal:
I've been the "Good Samaritan" for more people than I can count.
How many times have you been at the parts store, or Home Improvement store, or the Rest Stop and felt compelled to help someone?

yep, my cables have started other cars 100:1 over mine if not more..

I also keep zip ties, rope, straps, etc. for misc towing and tie down purposes..

but tools not so much anymore.. after 30 years of driving, just don't find the need..

when I was 16 and only had one car that only got repairs I could afford, yah I needed a fair sized contingent of tools..

I remember changing header burnt starters quarterly in front of auto parts stores in high school but I'm light years past that today..

as time went on and I learned how to keep my vehicles properly repaired and maintained, small hand tools just aren't necessary..

in most cases tools aren't much help without parts anyways, and I'm not rolling around with boxes of spare parts clutter either..

with big boy responsibilities at home and work, I'm counted on to be where I'm supposed to be when I'm supposed to be there..

that doesn't afford the time for road side tinkering because I thought that worn belt would make it 10 more miles or whatever..

so I don't drive questionable vehicles for transportation anymore, I'll switch over to another or even rent if I have to..

very few things that will disable what I drive today will be remedied with a combo wrench and screwdriver, just how it is..

as a professional mechanic, I get the idea but just not practical in my world..

only two times that my '02 left me sitting on the shoulder in 180k+ miles in 15 years, catastrophic trans failure and b/o fuel pump..

naturally I've taken tools to it numerous other times but always planned in the garage at home or buddy's shop..

and even most of those jobs like knock sensors, water pump, etc. weren't roadside repairs either..

if I'm road tripping I carry a fair sized tool box just to avoid being stranded if possible.. but still only to make it to nearest town for proper repairs..

I'm not spending my valuable vacation time and wasting my family's time bent over the hood except for trailered rigs abused on purpose..

cleszkie 10-10-2017 02:00 PM

The size of my tool kit is in direct proportion to the length of the trip I am taking. Most times, its just some jumper cables, jacking equipment, and spare fuses and relays for daily driving. However, for multi-state road trips into desolate areas (like Mexico), I load for bear, so to speak.

Killer Bee 10-10-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cleszkie (Post 8057987)
The size of my tool kit is in direct proportion to the length of the trip I am taking. Most times, its just some jumper cables, jacking equipment, and spare fuses and relays for daily driving. However, for multi-state road trips into desolate areas (like Mexico), I load for bear, so to speak.

haha, good point.. caravans to Mexico always include at least one if not more trailered vehicles capable of switching roles..

anything left behind will be rolled over and burned, not exactly sure what they do to them in the mean time..

many road trips to Pete's Camp at KM177, seen a lot of ugly stuff along the road..

so far in my experience though, thankfully only had to tow the truck out with the isuzinator twice a short distance in soft sand..

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/0d2iyuxdqjy...C1500.JPG?dl=0

special-K 10-10-2017 09:28 PM

I often carry nothing but luck. I was driving the '90 Blazer I had down in VA while working on my sister's place. I was almost into town slowing for a red light and noticed I had a rear tire "loping". I pulled onto the grass to find I had only one wheel stud left w/lug nut. I had no tools except a carpentry tool bag and my son had not put the jack handle back in the truck. I had a pair of tin sheers I opened up to make a cross, stuck one tip in the jack and raised the truck. I removed the one lug nut. Now this thing had a posi so no spinning the axle with only one side lifted. Fortunately all 5 broken studs sat with nothing like the wheel cylinder in the way. I took the drift punch out of the tool pouch and knocked the busted studs out. Right about then someone stopped to offer help so I got a ride to NAPA for studs and lug nuts. Was able to get them all installed w/o spinning the axle and went on my merry way to have dinner with the gal who stopped and helped me. Figuring out how to fix it without proper tools was routine, being able to remove and replace the studs was fortunate, but the dinner date and rest of evening was pure luck!! :lol:

That's just one story of getting through a breakdown smoothly when not well equipped. Gotta have faith man :cool:

mrein3 10-11-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew3 (Post 8057454)
I personally would prefer a panzerschreck for the occasional wild T-34.

Ich habe keine panzerschreck.

On a serious note, I'm always amazed what I can fix roadside with a neat little wrench I picked up along the way somewhere. It is a box end wrench with 9/16ths on one end and 1/2 on the other.

When I was younger my "Chevelle kit" included the above wrench, most recently replaced upper and lower radiator hoses, a 50/50 gallon of antifreeze, the most recently replaced fan belts, a 6-way screwdriver, and a dime to call home.

Yes that was before cell phones and credit cards.

My WWII veteran neighbor when I was growing up said with his model T all you needed was a spare tire, extra transmission bands, and a wire cutter. As long as you followed a fence line you could fix anything but the transmission and a tire with a hunk of wire.