The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dual Fuel Tanks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=352587)

Neon Beach 07-10-2009 08:02 PM

Dual Fuel Tanks

I have TBI, does that mean dual fuel pumps as well?

BLE 'BURBAN 07-10-2009 08:46 PM

Re: Dual Fuel Tanks

Yes You have a pump inside of each tank. The fuel selector switch/valve also switches power to the appropriate pump when needed.

glock35ipsc 07-10-2009 08:48 PM

^^ Word.

Neon Beach 07-10-2009 08:51 PM

That's what I suspected. I have been running on the left tank most of the time and then it started running like crap. Hard to start, surging and sputtering from a stop. Switched to the right tank and it's much better.

And who was the genius that decided the pumps had to go inside the tanks?

BLE 'BURBAN 07-10-2009 08:57 PM

THe pumps are kept cool by submerging them in the fuel.Also since they are designed to PUSH THE FUEL ranther than pull it, the closer to the source the better.

Neon Beach 07-10-2009 09:02 PM

Maybe so, but what a nightmare to change compared to a mechanical pump from days gone by.

babyJay 07-11-2009 11:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
this is what you have to look forward to....

Pyrotechnic 07-11-2009 12:27 PM

I've unbolted the tank from the frame and dropped them down. I just disconnected the lines from the selector valve and pulled them over the frame when dropping the tank. Of course this is on an older carbureted truck.

Tony_SS 07-12-2009 07:25 AM

Are you serious? I have to pull the whole bed off to drop the tank? No way..

68 TT 07-12-2009 08:48 AM

You don't have to pull the bed to drop the tank. You pull the bed instead of dropping the tank. It allows you access to the pump without unbolting the tank at all. A big plus if you have a 35-gallon tank nearly full of fuel that weighs over 200 pounds.

Pulling a few bolts off and lifting the bed is far easier than dropping the tank and takes far less time.

Dropping the tank is all the Suburban / Blazer guys have to look forward to.

Don't waste your time on any cheap off brand fuel pumps. I have seen far too many that were DOA or worked very poorly after installed right out of the box.

Get an AC Delco pump and avoid having to do this job twice.

I used it as an excuse to clean up and paint the frame & rear end while the bed was off. I probably removed five pounds of off road debris from the top of the fuel tank.

BLE 'BURBAN 07-12-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 3407811)
You don't have to pull the bed to drop the tank. You pull the bed instead of dropping the tank. It allows you access to the pump without unbolting the tank at all. A big plus if you have a 35-gallon tank nearly full of fuel that weighs over 200 pounds.

Pulling a few bolts off and lifting the bed is far easier than dropping the tank and takes far less time.

Dropping the tank is all the Suburban / Blazer guys have to look forward to.

I plan on making an access hole in the back of my Burb so I can get to the top of the tank to service the fuel pump without dropping the tank. I've got the idea's in my head so I know what I want it to look and work like. When I do finally get around to doing it, I'll post pics and a write up of it. But probably not until next summer.

Captkaos 07-13-2009 03:40 PM

This is how I changed them/drop the tank:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=9294.0

babyJay 07-13-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony_SS (Post 3407735)
Are you serious? I have to pull the whole bed off to drop the tank? No way..

I didn't take the bed off, I just raised it (making sure I braced it good between frame and bed) up to access the fuel lines / pump assemblies. My Cat was right smack dab in the way of the bolts on the inside of the frame that held the tank brackets on, Impossible to get to.

I removed the nuts completely for the front-most bed bolts, and merely loosened the nuts on the 2 back bolts a good inch or more so the bed wouldn't shift around a lot.

Either route you take, it is bound to be no fun.:waah: Good Luck.

Pyrotechnic 07-13-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captkaos (Post 3410065)
This is how I changed them/drop the tank:
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...p?topic=9294.0

This is the same method I used and it worked really well.

Adams74Chevy 07-13-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic (Post 3410145)
This is the same method I used and it worked really well.

My dad and I undid the straps instead of that way and well we were not having so much fun.