The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Truck Security... Is it Really Safe? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=632404)

Turtleman 06-14-2014 03:55 PM

Truck Security... Is it Really Safe?

I was wondering just how some of you secure your trucks.. It seems about everyone loves these older trucks... even auto thief's
A number of years ago my work van,, a 84 GMC 3500 with a 12' box on it just drove off my driveway... $35,000.00 worth of tools and equipment just drove away.. not to mention the Van..
Most of these older Trucks can be very easy to hop in and drive off,, more so if you can get under the hood and have a set of alligator clips.

So I'd really like to hear what you do to make sure your Truck,, Stays Yours!

What do you do to keep the hood down?
Have you looked at a key less entry's to your engine compartment?
How about the old hidden kill switch? has anyone used a kill switch but used a coded dip switch instead?
LowJack?
GPS System?
M-14 with a scope?

Woogeroo 06-14-2014 04:06 PM

Re: Truck Security... Is it Really Safe?

there are some good threads buried in here about running a pull cable for a release for the hood. Some other folks have set it up so they can literally lock it with a pad lock... or a permanent lock that has a key.

some more about various kill switch setups... basically the discussion is where to wire it in and where to hide it.

As far as getting into the cab, a screwdriver to pop the vent window latch is all you need.

-W

LostMy65 06-14-2014 04:09 PM

Here's a couple short threads started awhile back:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=security
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=alarm

Sharps40 06-14-2014 04:14 PM

I just use a gun padlock to hold the hood shut....tuck it up in and no one knows its there. Tool can is bolted to the PS inner fenderwell so as long as the hood is shut/locked, tools are secure.

As for drive off security....just lock the doors and windows and don't leave nothing in the bed and have good insurance. Ain't much more ya can do cept refrain from parking in the Sh*ttygritty hellshalfacre parts of town anyways.

jayoldschool 06-14-2014 04:47 PM

Pull the coil wire and put it in your pocket when leaving the truck parked in strange areas. Won't stop a roll back, but it will prevent a joy ride.

donthekawguy 06-15-2014 08:30 AM

The PO installed a kill switch under the hood. It is hooked to the battery and if I don't turn it to the off position the battery drains within 4 hours. Its good and bad.

crowdaddy 06-15-2014 11:37 AM

I use a small chain and padlock on the hood, but I like the previous idea submitted about a gun lock, and tucking it out of the way hidden like.:mm:

Greg63 06-15-2014 01:14 PM

Hidden kill switch. Can't tell you where or it won't be a secret anymore (here's a hint though - it includes the lighter).
Greg.

BR3W CITY 06-15-2014 01:17 PM

I have a poly coated rope chain and a hardened lock that I put on the hood if I'm staying overnight at a show or something. I can also disconnect my ecm and remove it in 5 seconds, so hotwiring is out.

That being said, you can force-open or bump key the door locks in about 15 seconds or less.

Sharps40 06-15-2014 01:26 PM

That's what full coverage insurance is for.

BR3W CITY 06-16-2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharps40 (Post 6721971)
That's what full coverage insurance is for.

OK, just hand over your keys right now. Thats modern-car mentality :lol:

Sharps40 06-16-2014 05:26 AM

If somebody is at the door sayin that, try draw and aim. They will likely seek another vehicle to boost.

Shaky 06-16-2014 06:21 AM

3-on-the-tree is the best security system around.

That said, a kill switch and a gas line shut-off work good too.

tincan1966 06-16-2014 07:06 AM

Later model steering column in ours with key on column and shifter lock built it. Not theft proof, but slows them down a bit. Also have inside hood release., and remote turn off for ecm. I saw BR3W City's posted before about that and thought was a great idea!

Already have great insurance, but stupidity isn't covered, extra precautions are. Sure the insurance will help with a small part of replacement, but I like THIS one and want to keep it.

Turtleman 06-16-2014 11:42 AM

E.C.M. ???

What the heck is that? lol

BR3W CITY 06-16-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtleman (Post 6723200)
E.C.M. ???

Its the magic box that gives me more horsepower than everyone else :) :smoke:

Improbcat 06-16-2014 01:47 PM

If you're putting in a kill switch, think about putting it in the wire for the coil rather than the wire for the starter.
If it is wired into the starter and they try to hotwire it, the fact it isn't cranking will make a thief suspicious and they will likely go looking for a kill switch.
however, if it is wired into the coil the engine will crank but not turn over. This way a)they are more likely to think it just has a problem starting and b)there is a chance you will here the truck cranking and be able to catch the bastard.

tincan1966 06-16-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtleman (Post 6723200)
E.C.M. ???

Electronic Control Module- for those of us who gave up carburetors for dependability, smooth operation and better gas mileage.:metal:

BR3W CITY 06-16-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Improbcat (Post 6723341)
If you're putting in a kill switch, think about putting it in the wire for the coil rather than the wire for the starter.
If it is wired into the starter and they try to hotwire it, the fact it isn't cranking will make a thief suspicious and they will likely go looking for a kill switch.
however, if it is wired into the coil the engine will crank but not turn over. This way a)they are more likely to think it just has a problem starting and b)there is a chance you will here the truck cranking and be able to catch the bastard.

Your thieves troubleshoot? heheh you might end up with a better running car after they try to steal it! :metal:

BigDan3131 06-16-2014 11:11 PM

I have several kill switches in different vehicles. I have the hidden one attached to the coil which is what foiled them from stealing my truck after they tore up the column lock. For added insurance I added one like this to the battery: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgrefu...&h=1200&w=1200 you unscrew it at night or remove it completely and their the ones who are screwed.

1Bad62Pro/Street 06-17-2014 11:48 PM

LostMy65 02-03-2016 12:29 PM

Bump

LostMy65 04-22-2017 02:20 PM

I just found a pretty cool app called Alfred:
https://alfred.camera/intro
Take an old Android or Apple phone and point it at the drivers door.

LostMy65 06-15-2017 06:17 PM

Bump!

LostMy65 06-15-2017 06:29 PM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590462