The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How many of you have a functioning emergency brake? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746532)

'70_402 09-13-2017 09:36 AM

How many of you have a functioning emergency brake?

I know the safety issues..... but seriously, if you have an automatic truck how many of you actually use your emergency brake... does yours even work??

Asking for a friend... lol

truckster 09-13-2017 10:05 AM

Re: How many of you have a functioning emergency brake?

In our state it's required to be functioning in order to pass inspection. It has to hold the vehicle when in drive on a flat surface.

However, safety inspections go away on 1 January of next year.

cooperhw 09-13-2017 10:08 AM

On most of the hot rods I have built in the past this (along with others) is one of the things that was on the "to do" list that never made it to the top. I had to put my El Camino thru a complete vehicle inspection to gain a "restored salvage" title because it was totaled earlier in it's life, so I followed through and made this along with all the other items on the to do list work. It is nice to have a functioning e-brake, horn, license plate light, etc.
It's real easy to designate these little items to the "one of these days" lists, but I personally plan to keep at it from now on and make all these little things work as they should. JMO

randy500 09-13-2017 10:16 AM

I won't drive one without it working and it's right up there with making it run and stop, it's one of the first things I fix.

1SG.Rob 09-13-2017 10:32 AM

Mine works great and I always use it.

raggedjim 09-13-2017 10:51 AM

Not sure, I don't use one and never have.

Rg

muley 09-13-2017 10:53 AM

Ditto. Mine works just fine. Flat ground at idle, let the clutch out in 2nd gear and it will kill the motor. It holds pretty good.

special-K 09-13-2017 11:16 AM

I keep mine operational. Even if you just rely on Park to hold the vehicle there are still times you'll find you need it. In a perfect world, maybe not. But I've never been able to find that place.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 09-13-2017 12:13 PM

My E-brake saved my butt in the C-20. I knew the brakes were real bad, but I "had" to drive it home from the shop in the snow. What I didn't know was the brakes were so bad it was impossible to stop on ice.

So here I'm heading toward a stop sign against a busy four lane highway. It's not slowing down, not even a little bit. I steered toward the curve when I thought to hit the E-brake. Close one.

FRCvette 09-13-2017 12:14 PM

on my to do list. Will probably get to is this winter.

Stocker 09-13-2017 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob (Post 8038724)

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8038741)
I keep mine operational. Even if you just rely on Park to hold the vehicle there are still times you'll find you need it. In a perfect world, maybe not. But I've never been able to find that place.

Same here. At home, I park on flat ground but I still set the parking brake, although just lightly. Out woodcutting, I'm almost always on a slope and you bet your life I use the parking brake!!!

BossHogg69 09-13-2017 12:23 PM

my C10 is a 5 speed, so it works and I use it. My other two vehicles (see sig) are automatic and I always set the brake before putting them in park.

HO455 09-13-2017 12:37 PM

Having seen the piece of heavy sheet metal that holds the truck in park I don't have a lot of faith it will hold. So yes I use the E-brake.

toolboxchev 09-13-2017 12:40 PM

I like things to function no matter their appearance to the vain world. Maybe one day I will go out and attract the rest of vanity for my life.

BugzC10 09-13-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1SG.Rob (Post 8038724)

Same here...set it every time I park, just a habit.

WayneE 09-13-2017 12:47 PM

Mine works.

Even though I have an auto, I use it if I park on a hill.

midniteblues 09-13-2017 01:23 PM

I was always told its called a emergency brake for a reason.

I had a auto square body that the colum linkage wasn't set just rite and at any given time even a very small incline that truck would click click click and roll away.
I fixed the linkage and still used the foot brake.
Till on day I had too park facing up hill on a steep street. I set the parking brake and got out.
Lil' later I got back in too leave and the dang brake wouldn't release both rear cables seized in the sheathing. That wasn't fun at all cutting the cables on a oe jack on that steep hill.

Replaced all and it works great still to this day the owner tells me.

Keep'em working guys cause you never know.

hamjet 09-13-2017 02:21 PM

mines automatic, but I only use it on a grade. I learned to use it every once in a while because if you dont they'll rust up and not function. then when its time for inspection I dont have to work on it to pass.

Hidesertchevy 09-13-2017 02:37 PM

Yes I have and use mine all the time

el_fantasma 09-13-2017 02:54 PM

Can't you shear the pin that keeps the transmission in park if you don't or is that folklore? Regardless, mine works and I use it on hills.

'70_402 09-13-2017 05:09 PM

wow... i'm surprised at these responses.. I used one when i had a 5 speed truck for obvious reasons... but I've never ever used on on an automatic vehicle, of course i do live in some of the flattest land in the country. no hills anywhere.. haha.

GRX 09-13-2017 05:09 PM

I do. Made a point to replace everything pertaining to the e-brakes when redoing the brake system on my '69 long stepper. Stopping is VERY important to me. Especially so after being behind the wheel of a two ton Pontiac with auto tranny when the brakes failed, and e-brake was frozen. Slamming it into park only resulted in snapping sounds. Never again!

Worst part about this truck was removing original cable bracket mount pins. Factory saw fit to swedge the pins. Grinding off both ends was not good enough since the part inside the boxed frame was swollen. Ended up drilling them out completely, then using the bolts included in the replacement kit.

outfield 09-13-2017 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi have a 4 speed truck and use mine all the time. It keeps the truck in the driveway.

PaPaStewySnipes 09-13-2017 05:18 PM

I'm installing mine with the wilwood d154 rear brake kit. Think of it this way, we are always doing work on our trucks. If for some reasons your brakes fail, you a have leak...etc, it will be there to help you stop, if not at the minimum it could save you and your truck. It not called an emergency brake for nothing.

35boulder 09-13-2017 05:18 PM

Yep, mine works and I use it.