The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Californis Turbos equalivant (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=520320)

chris mc bride 04-18-2012 05:20 PM

Californis Turbos equalivant

I use to run A muffler called California turbos on my old 66 Pickup. This was in mig 80's. Im looking for something with same deep throaty tone to run on my 69 panel.

If you know of great sounding muffler thats deep tone little loud but w/o the moaning crap of flow master which I HATE to hear if runninbg constant speed,let me know name and what you think about them. Im installing headers this weekend and looking for parts to finish out exhaust.

richards72chevy 04-21-2012 10:45 PM

Re: Californis Turbos equalivant

I think thrush use to call thier mufflers california turbos.

fastwillie 696969 04-22-2012 03:23 PM

cherry bomb has a turbo muffler that look like a thrust muffler they also made moon eyes muffler back in the 80s or the rebel flag ,it didnt matter after a year it was burnt off and rusty cheap mufflers

chris mc bride 04-22-2012 10:53 PM

well these lasted good while.I know not thrush or a Cherry bomb. I know will not find same ones but looking for something with simular sound. Cherry bombs diffently not it,glass packs not happening and the now popular Flow master just have a annoying sound while running at constant speed. Amy check you tube for videos of differant muffler.

fastwillie 696969 04-24-2012 01:40 AM

what flowmaster are you running .im got delta 50 3inch ,its loud that for sure ,check into there hushpower mufflers

chris mc bride 04-24-2012 07:36 AM

AS to which flowmaster can't say . Ive riden in probaly 8 or 10 vehicles with them and never heard one I liked. I know some love them and I wouldnt care if they where flowmasters aslong as that freakingmoan/hum sounds not here.

Bad part on mufflers they are like hot clean wheel and tires. Can't reraly tell wht they are going to look/sound like tell you buy them and try them on then you own them.

ANYONE running Borla's?

72BlckButy 04-25-2012 08:07 AM

I moved this from the "detailing section" to the 67-72 message board to try and get you some extra hits.

chris mc bride 04-27-2012 08:54 AM

I thought I had posted it in engine section ,maybe not might have hit wrong forum. Not unsual for me especaily here lately.

GCncsuHD 04-27-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris mc bride (Post 5330374)
well these lasted good while.I know not thrush or a Cherry bomb. I know will not find same ones but looking for something with simular sound. Cherry bombs diffently not it,glass packs not happening and the now popular Flow master just have a annoying sound while running at constant speed. Amy check you tube for videos of differant muffler.

Cherry Bomb and Thrush both make multiple mufflers, not just the "glasspacks" They also make Chambered (like flowmaster) and Turbo mufflers. I run a Thrush Turbo on my little daily driver Mazda because it gives a nice quiet sound with no drone, only slightly louder/deeper than stock. (Well actually WAY quieter than the stock rusted out muffler). Dynomax/Walker, and plenty of others offer turbo mufflers as well.

From the sound of what you describe a Magnaflow muffler might would suit you fine, it gives a nice deep refined tone without drone (if you pick out the right one). Remember the longer the case, the quieter and less drone you will have.

406 Q-ship 04-27-2012 10:40 AM

Sounds like your looking for the turbo muffler they are still available from companies like Walker through their Dynomax line. The turbo muffler got its name from the design use on the Turbo Corvairs, the street crowd soon figured out the Corvair muffler was less restrictive than anything else (at the time). I used to have only Sonic Turbos on all my vehicles until I switched to the chambered mufflers.

Try this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17733/

robnolimit 04-27-2012 03:34 PM

Hey guys. We have been working with a start-up company called Black Widow Mufflers. They are going to produce a line of mufflers for new and classic muscle cars. They use what they call a 'velocity vortex' to cancel the sound pulsing and increase the flow. Dyno results show gains above other aftermarket mufflers. These guys helped me with the muffler design on my new red C-10, the Hell-Boy. Bad news is I woudn't expect production units avail for sale until july.

JointTech 04-27-2012 05:23 PM

I just put in Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers. They sound good. Not glasspack loud and rattly.
http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/Ca...es/vortex.aspx