The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   where can i get some 24" lift springs?/ (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=510647)

Its ShowTime!! 02-23-2012 12:32 PM

where can i get some 24" lift springs?/

i cant find anywhere to buy them? i need atleast 20" lift leaf springs can anyone help me with that? :fb:

SeventyOne 02-23-2012 02:07 PM

Re: where can i get some 24" lift springs?/

You'll probably have to go custom since there's not a lot of market for insane lift springs like that. Alcan and Deaver come to mind. Expect to pay a small fortune and the truck to ride like a tractor.

Its ShowTime!! 02-23-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 5207588)
You'll probably have to go custom since there's not a lot of market for insane lift springs like that. Alcan and Deaver come to mind. Expect to pay a small fortune and the truck to ride like a tractor.

yea i expect to fork out somee money and it to ride rough but its gonna be a show truck so it wont get driven very much..

survivingalone 02-23-2012 02:46 PM

what year truck? what size tires?

Its ShowTime!! 02-23-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by survivingalone (Post 5207652)
what year truck? what size tires?

It's a 88 1500 single cab short bed and I am shooting for 52's
Posted via Mobile Device

Redcap 02-23-2012 04:29 PM

Why? At least you aren't ruining anything cool, I guess...

argonaut 02-23-2012 04:35 PM

52" tires on a single cab short bed... will the front tires touch the rear tires in the middle??? :D

Its ShowTime!! 02-23-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argonaut (Post 5207822)
52" tires on a single cab short bed... will the front tires touch the rear tires in the middle??? :D

itll be pretty dang close!!:metal:

Its ShowTime!! 02-23-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcap (Post 5207812)
Why? At least you aren't ruining anything cool, I guess...

why??? Why NOT!!!:lol:

modblacksmith 02-23-2012 09:54 PM

A friend of mine ran 52's on his 85 with 17 inches of lift and cut out flares. It had a nice stance to it. You mite consider lowering all of the spring mounts so your springs aren't so horse shoe shaped. Just a couple thoughts for you, hope you do a build forum on this beast.

"why, why not" :metal:

Its ShowTime!! 02-24-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modblacksmith (Post 5208389)
A friend of mine ran 52's on his 85 with 17 inches of lift and cut out flares. It had a nice stance to it. You mite consider lowering all of the spring mounts so your springs aren't so horse shoe shaped. Just a couple thoughts for you, hope you do a build forum on this beast.

"why, why not" :metal:

ModBlacksmith thats what we looked at last night, what do you think about drop shackles? bc i have 12 inch springs now and i can run 44's! and yes im gonna do a build forum i just need to figure out how to upload photos from my iphone! thanks for the advice:bowtie:

GCncsuHD 02-24-2012 09:36 AM

Why anyone would want any bigger than 6" lift springs is beyond me. Any higher than that and you might as well weld the axles directly to the frame with some 2" square tubing to space them down.

As far as "drop shackles" they will do what it says, lower your truck even more. Unless you do a shackle flip, which will net you 4" by itself, and for each inch of "drop" or each inch longer the shackle is than your stock shackle you will gain another 1/2" of lift. Keep in mind this will rapidly point your pinion angle up, and shift your rear axle forward. You can combine this setup with lowering your spring hanger on the front of the rear leaf to gain more lift. You can do the same in the front with lowering your spring and shackle mounting points to gain lift.

If you are wanting to go this big, you might as well go ahead and build a subframe and link it. Otherwise, I agree with modblacksmith's sentiment, go lower and trim to fit it. In the front you can change the wheelbase and move the axle forward a bit to gain more clearance (this also helps with bump where the axle would move towards the cab when the springs compress, not an issue with 24" springs though :lol: )

Its ShowTime!! 02-24-2012 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=GCncsuHD;5209195]Why anyone would want any bigger than 6" lift springs is beyond me. Any higher than that and you might as well weld the axles directly to the frame with some 2" square tubing to space them down.

As far as "drop shackles" they will do what it says, lower your truck even more. Unless you do a shackle flip, which will net you 4" by itself, and for each inch of "drop" or each inch longer the shackle is than your stock shackle you will gain another 1/2" of lift. Keep in mind this will rapidly point your pinion angle up, and shift your rear axle forward. You can combine this setup with lowering your spring hanger on the front of the rear leaf to gain more lift. You can do the same in the front with lowering your spring and shackle mounting points to gain lift.

well (flip Shackles) is what i meant. i dont wanna do any cutting on my fenders at all. im not gonna run fender flares. this truck is gonna be done for shows. the only off road this truck will every see is my dirt driveway! thank you for that info thats what i needed! Huge Help:metal:

special-K 02-24-2012 09:52 AM

I'd just fabricate lower mounting points for the spring mounts and use the springs you have. One problem with extreme lift springs is lateral movement. They need panhard bars so they don't want to "flop". It's a show truck but you want to have fun running at the grounds where the show is...I'm sure

Its ShowTime!! 02-24-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 5209225)
I'd just fabricate lower mounting points for the spring mounts and use the springs you have. One problem with extreme lift springs is lateral movement. They need panhard bars so they don't want to "flop". It's a show truck but you want to have fun running at the grounds where the show is...I'm sure

yea i definetly wanna have fun and be able to drive it! my Friend has a cnc machine and we are gonna fab up some custome trac bars (front & back) and how much more heighth do you think i could get out of it if i did make some lower mountings points? This is my first 4x4 build like this. i usually build mustangs and camaros:dum:

mrdana60 02-24-2012 10:29 AM

i ll sell you some rockwells for it and they make raised leaf spring perches to weld on the rocks. 20 inches of lift should be plenty of lift. i had a 79 k5 with roughly 17 inches up front and 17 in the back. and it cleared the 49 iroks good with no cutting.

in this pic i hadnt installed the shackle flip kit yet. i had a 12 inch lift up front with longer shackles. and in the back had 8 inch springs three inch blocks with the shackle flip kit. and had a 3 inch body lift.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...ackbeauty2.jpg

Its ShowTime!! 02-24-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdana60 (Post 5209298)
i ll sell you some rockwells for it and they make raised leaf spring perches to weld on the rocks. 20 inches of lift should be plenty of lift. i had a 79 k5 with roughly 17 inches up front and 17 in the back. and it cleared the 49 iroks good with no cutting.

in this pic i hadnt installed the shackle flip kit yet. i had a 12 inch lift up front with longer shackles. and in the back had 8 inch springs three inch blocks with the shackle flip kit. and had a 3 inch body lift.
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/f...ackbeauty2.jpg

how much for the rockwells? amd i like the K5 looks good! im gonna fab up some schackle flips this weekend if all goes as planned!

mrdana60 02-24-2012 11:30 AM

gonna ask 1300 for one steer axle and one rear axle.

mrdana60 02-24-2012 11:31 AM

and i sold this blazer about a year ago. i m building a 72 short stepside right now with one tons and 44s. i m looking for some 44 boggers if you know of any

Its ShowTime!! 02-24-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdana60 (Post 5209406)
and i sold this blazer about a year ago. i m building a 72 short stepside right now with one tons and 44s. i m looking for some 44 boggers if you know of any

ok ill check and see if my buddy still wants to sell his? and i might get back with you on the rockwells? right now i cant buy they but i need them lol :waah: story of my life

mrdana60 02-24-2012 11:46 AM

i know how that is. what kind of 52s you gonna run ? the military michelins ?

Its ShowTime!! 02-24-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdana60 (Post 5209443)
i know how that is. what kind of 52s you gonna run ? the military michelins ?

yea they are the cheapest and IMO they look mean!

mrdana60 02-24-2012 01:15 PM

i had some 46 mich last year and sold them damn things are heavy lol. i loved my 49s but i ll never go that high again lol. i m gonna go 5.38 gears and 44 boggers and drive the s&^t out of it. lol

Its ShowTime!! 02-24-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdana60 (Post 5209600)
i had some 46 mich last year and sold them damn things are heavy lol. i loved my 49s but i ll never go that high again lol. i m gonna go 5.38 gears and 44 boggers and drive the s&^t out of it. lol

i hear ya! mine is gonna be a car show queen and a when the guys around here think they have the biggest truck on on 36's ill make them feel like matchbox cars lol! I havent fully decided on gears yet tho i got awhile before i choose

snj8198 02-24-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argonaut (Post 5207822)

:lol:

you wont have an issue getting high centered!