The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   70 vs 72 Tie Rods and Such??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=771295)

sick472 09-13-2018 04:56 PM

70 vs 72 Tie Rods and Such???

My mutt of a 2wd truck has a 70 title, VIN tag, and frame, BUT the rest of it looks to be 72. I need to take some slop out of the steering bits and pieces so I have 3 sets of questions...

1.) The truck was power steering, but now has a manual box on it...Are there any concerns regarding the PS parts (tie rods, drag link etc) working with the Manual Box and manual pitman arm? It all bolts up fine.

2.) How do I identify what year tie rods and adjustment sleeves that are on the truck? I am betting 72 since it has disc brakes. LMC shows 67 to 70 then 71 and 72 parts and I do not want to order trail and error parts.

and

3.) Should I consider replacing the center link? Will an old one contribute to the slop or are they considered wear free? I suppose the idler should be changed too?

FYI - New Redhead manual box just installed and new ball joints. Steering column under the knife now. I can not see a lot of slop coming from any particular place, it must be a little loose all over. The stock steering shows about 5 inches at the outer portion of movement between making the tire move side to side, and the tire is on skates.

68Gold/white 09-13-2018 07:01 PM

Re: 70 vs 72 Tie Rods and Such???

The center link has no joints in it, it can't go bad unless bent in wreck...or Gomer or Goob did something stupid to it.

Having disc brakes is great!!!

The 71 and 72 spindles are the same (just to make sure, trying to be helpful). The ball joint holes in the 71 and 72's are the same as the 73 and newer spindles. BUT the tie rod end holes are NOT the same size. The 71-2's are smaller. The Threaded ends of the tie rods (that the sleeves join to) are also smaller on the 71-2 tie rod ends.

I mention these things, because you could have a crazy combination of steering/brake parts, and not know it.

Do you have a dial caliper that you can measure the threaded (sleeve part) of a tie rod end? A wrench may work. Go to a parts store and ask to look at a (inner or outer) tie rod end for a 73-79 C-10 1/2 ton pickup. The 71-2 is considerably smaller. If the wrench for yours won't slide over a 73-up tie rod end, your stuff is likely (and I also say..hopefully) 71-72. That would give you a starting point.

The pitman arm is different on std steering form power because the manual box out put shaft is smaller.

There is a stud sticking out of the manual box (power steer has one too), with a jamb nut. Can you loosen the jamb nut and tighten the stud any (should take a flat blade screwdriver if like a stock unit). If it is loose, tighten it until you feel resistance. Do Not tighten it tight. Tighten it at the point of contact, and tighten the jamb nut, tight.

If that does not resolve at least most of your steering slop, one or more of your steering components is loose. You can use a pry bar and check all the joints, and/or have someone turn the steering wheel while you are under the front and, watching......

BTW, the 71-72 ball joints will fit the 71-2 spindles or the 73-up spindles...glad you got new ones...

sick472 09-14-2018 08:12 AM

Re: 70 vs 72 Tie Rods and Such???

Thanks for taking the time for the great explanation 68! I have calipers and a buddy hanging out this weekend who can be the extra set of hands and eyes. And, I happen to have Ole' Gold sitting by the shop, a 76 C10, so no trip to the parts store just yet.

Thanks again!