The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Quad headlights in '94-98 GMC grille? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759758)

likaroc13 03-19-2018 11:37 PM

Quad headlights in '94-98 GMC grille?

Anybody running the older style (glass) quad headlights in a '94-98 GMC grille? If so, could you please post a picture? Thanks! :chevy:

SCOTI 03-20-2018 11:05 AM

Re: Quad headlights in '94-98 GMC grille?

Tagging in. I've been reading up on this swap. Always like to see the most accurate/recent info.

mountie 03-20-2018 12:42 PM

While changing to 4 headlights, get the glass/ replaceable 60/55 watt halogen upgrade headlights from LMC Truck. Then also harness for all 4 to light up.

( There is a thread about successfully changing to 4 lights, somewhere in this forum.)

likaroc13 03-20-2018 01:25 PM

I had read that you just need the pigtails from the older lights. If there's anything additional, hopefully someone will chime in.

I would like to see some pics of how they look in the later '94-98 GMC grille though.

87lm7 03-27-2018 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple of pics of the glass bulbs in my 97 GMC, sorry the pics aren't the greatest they are I have of the truck on my current phone and where actually taken to show the rain and hail beating the poor truck

87lm7 03-27-2018 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Apparently my phone doesn't like me enough to post two pics at once so here's the other one

likaroc13 03-28-2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87lm7 (Post 8223530)
Here's a couple of pics of the glass bulbs in my 97 GMC, sorry the pics aren't the greatest they are I have of the truck on my current phone and where actually taken to show the rain and hail beating the poor truck

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87lm7 (Post 8223534)
Apparently my phone doesn't like me enough to post two pics at once so here's the other one

Thanks for sharing! Can you elaborate on the install (assuming you performed the swap)?

special-K 03-28-2018 06:01 AM

This is a thing I wanted to do to my '92 since t was new. I never did it, but I am sure all you need to do is swap all parts involved from harness to mounting. Aside from the lights, the grilles and core supports are the same. So just the headlamp parts are involved. Looks so much better and it's less plastic as well as retro classy. Not to mention the yellow with age you get from plastic.

87lm7 03-28-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8223891)
This is a thing I wanted to do to my '92 since t was new. I never did it, but I am sure all you need to do is swap all parts involved from harness to mounting. Aside from the lights, the grilles and core supports are the same. So just the headlamp parts are involved. Looks so much better and it's less plastic as well as retro classy. Not to mention the yellow with age you get from plastic.

You are quite right about That, the headlight assmbalies bolt on with the same 4 bolts per side as the composite lights, I would recommend getting new pigtails for the lights though as I have yet to see a set that aren't melted or britle and put dei-electric grease on them when plugging them in. I got my new pigtails from NAPA after fighting poor connections with the old ones for a couple of years.

SCOTI 03-28-2018 09:35 AM

I keep seeing the quad headlight swap is a direct swap but it seems there needs to be something that retains each lamp to the core support.

Old school set-ups have a retaining bracket for each lamp (my 89 Squarebody dually does). Did something change w/the OBS platform?

87lm7 03-28-2018 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
They are a direct swap as long as you get the compleat assembly from the donor truck, that will include the mounting bracket, headlight buckets, the adjusters and the retaining rings. The picture is from the LMC catalog for reference.

SCOTI 03-28-2018 11:08 AM

That's what I figured.

Pampas56 03-28-2018 02:10 PM

If you are contemplating this change out consider going to the 4 beam high beam configuration at the same time. I mean you have it all apart anyways, so it would be a good time to kill two birds with one throw.

likaroc13 03-28-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8223891)

That would be my goal, is to get away from the yellowing plastic lens. Mine actually aren't too bad, but now would be the best time to change while my grille is still off the vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87lm7 (Post 8223959)
You are quite right about That, the headlight assmbalies bolt on with the same 4 bolts per side as the composite lights, I would recommend getting new pigtails for the lights though as I have yet to see a set that aren't melted or britle and put dei-electric grease on them when plugging them in. I got my new pigtails from NAPA after fighting poor connections with the old ones for a couple of years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 87lm7 (Post 8223979)
They are a direct swap as long as you get the compleat assembly from the donor truck, that will include the mounting bracket, headlight buckets, the adjusters and the retaining rings. The picture is from the LMC catalog for reference.

Good call on the pigtails. I knew they had to be changed, as the lighting styles are different, but getting new stuff makes good sense. Thanks for the info about the other stuff needed for the swap. :chevy:

83GMCK2500 03-28-2018 02:50 PM

I hate redirecting you to another forum, but those interested in the H4701/H4703 bulbs on a daily driver need to understand that the light output is poor in stock form and the upgrade options are slim. Dropping HIDs/LEDs into ebay lenses creates a hazard for oncoming drivers due to the excess glare.

Here is a great thread on '88-'89 headlight assemblies: http://www.gmt400.com/threads/tech-8...eadlights.946/ The author is a good friend of mine and both of us have continued to research the options. I had a set of LMC lenses in my '96, highs and lows; now I've got Bosch low beams and LMC highs.

likaroc13 03-28-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampas56 (Post 8224207)
If you are contemplating this change out consider going to the 4 beam high beam configuration at the same time. I mean you have it all apart anyways, so it would be a good time to kill two birds with one throw.

I've thought about this but still on the fence. I would like to do the headlight relay upgrade, but I rarely use my high beams. 4-hi would be cool, but not sure it's worth it in my situation.

likaroc13 03-28-2018 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 (Post 8224228)
I hate redirecting you to another forum, but those interested in the H4701/H4703 bulbs on a daily driver need to understand that the light output is poor in stock form and the upgrade options are slim. Dropping HIDs/LEDs into ebay lenses creates a hazard for oncoming drivers due to the excess glare.

Here is a great thread on '88-'89 headlight assemblies: http://www.gmt400.com/threads/tech-8...eadlights.946/ The author is a good friend of mine and both of us have continued to research the options. I had a set of LMC lenses in my '96, highs and lows; now I've got Bosch low beams and LMC highs.

Nice article. I assume no more of those Bosch low beams are available anymore, & there's no source for the high beams either. Are you saying that you're running the more stock-looking Bosch along with the Euro-style from LMC? I have no desire to run the Euro-style lights. It simply doesn't fit the look I'm going for with my Tahoe.

83GMCK2500 03-28-2018 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by likaroc13 (Post 8224254)
Nice article. I assume no more of those Bosch low beams are available anymore, & there's no source for the high beams either. Are you saying that you're running the more stock-looking Bosch along with the Euro-style from LMC? I have no desire to run the Euro-style lights. It simply doesn't fit the look I'm going for with my Tahoe.

Correct, at this time all of the Bosch ones are unobtanium. I had a full set of the LMC lights pictured on the right side of Page 65 here: http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=65 Also, attached picture.

I currently have the same high beams as pictured, but my low beams are the Bosch E-Code as shown in the thread on the other forum.

special-K 03-29-2018 08:28 AM

Just look at these two trucks here. So much better looking, IMO. And it's not just my tendency toward going retro. I like the look of the isolated bulbs with the dark areas surrounding. Looks badder asser to me. I drive a '95 Cheyenne single glass headlamps, so no swappin' here. If I get a fancy one I'll do the change.

mountie 03-29-2018 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the LMC kit..... it took me less than an easy hour to hook up the 4-headlight setup.

TennesseeZ 04-03-2018 01:00 AM

LIve changed every OBS I've ever owned to the 4 glass bulbs, and the Hi-4 mod also. All it takes is the headlite buckets, pigtails, correct grille assembly, of course the bulbs, kit for the Hi-4 if you choose to go that way (or the relay and some wire for a homebrew "kit"), not much more. You can also upgrade the wiring to the headlites to provide full power to the lites, sorry l dont remember much more than that and being wheelchair bound nowadays l can't get out there to refresh my memory, but Tx Firefighter (iirc) has a good writeup on it in his last build thread, can't remember details but it's a white truck w/red aftermarket interior. Sorry this is vague and all, trying to help as l can. Bottom line is it's totally doable, looks great, and works as well as you're willing to take it. I even ran some of them through a lighted toggle switch in the lower left corner of the dash to give me both options, overkill l know but when l get started....lol! If you try that be careful, mine threw out way too much light and l had to wrap the toggle in black tape and cut out a tiny diamond otherwise the light was a *serious* distraction lol. Live and learn I recon.

phat69 04-22-2018 12:00 AM

Don't they use the same lights as the 93-97 camaro?

mountie 04-22-2018 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phat69 (Post 8244266)
Don't they use the same lights as the 93-97 camaro?

Nope. Those are smaller in size.

metalman 04-22-2018 11:33 AM

I have read that 98-02 Trans Am are the same. But i have not confirmed it myself.

mountie 04-22-2018 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalman (Post 8244481)
I have read that 98-02 Trans Am are the same. But i have not confirmed it myself.

In the '90's, I searched & SEARCHED for an up-grade to my headlights. I looked in aftermarket & other vehicles, so I might find a better / brighter lens.

I finally realized there was nothing out there. My 4-headlight lens was used on my '88 GMC & '88 Chevy. And the only different 'vehicle' is the GM vans.

That's it. Camaro, etc., uses a smaller size lens. ( At a glance, they seem the same size, but they are not)

Then, out of the blue, a few years later, Sylvania came up with the "ExtraVision". #'s H4701 & H4703. Better than the regular, but LMC has a better version, you can change the bulbs, and the LMC is also glass.

I also know some people use both High Beam lenses & adjust the "low beam downward".

( I can not imagine any car would use a minimum-brightness bulb in '98 - '02 ) IMO