The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Metal in oil (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759093)

putnam00 03-11-2018 11:40 PM

Metal in oil

1 Attachment(s)
I have changed my oil twice once in sept the oil plug was covered in super fine shavings, I know some is normal. When I changed it last weekend the oil plug again was covered in shavings and you could even see it in the oil. I know something is bad, could it be the oil pump? I have run about 20 psi when its cold and it will go past 40 it high rpms, but around valentines day i actually had the display say low oil pressure and ran really low, I stopped checked the oil and it was only 1/4 of a quart low. i restarted it and it was showing more pressure. it has just over 235,000 miles and runs good i have a picture of the oil shown

Attachment 1762565

homemade87 03-12-2018 07:39 AM

Re: Metal in oil

Most likely a main or rod bearing giving up . You cant keep driving it and expect it to get better . That metal is traveling the motor . Good chance it will leave you somewhere so now is the time to plan .

Either take it out and see what is wrong and repair ( engine will have to come completely apart to clear the metal ) or get a pull out to replace it with .

Either way dont ignore it . Do your planning while you still have time .

Tom 03-12-2018 08:13 PM

40psi of oil pressure at 5000rpm is at least 10psi too low.
Throw some 20-50 in while you save up for rebuild. Might work, might blow up just as quick. Its a gamble if you dont take apart to diag.

putnam00 03-15-2018 08:38 PM

Yeah at times when I pass someone the oil pressure will hit 50psi and other times be lucky to hit 40psi

7 Devils 04-22-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by putnam00 (Post 8209579)
I have changed my oil twice once in sept the oil plug was covered in super fine shavings, I know some is normal. When I changed it last weekend the oil plug again was covered in shavings and you could even see it in the oil. I know something is bad, could it be the oil pump? I have run about 20 psi when its cold and it will go past 40 it high rpms, but around valentines day i actually had the display say low oil pressure and ran really low, I stopped checked the oil and it was only 1/4 of a quart low. i restarted it and it was showing more pressure. it has just over 235,000 miles and runs good i have a picture of the oil shown

Attachment 1762565

At this point yes probably well on the way to smoked bearings. For future reference, this is a common problem with the LS based truck motors and the solution is a $4 dollar O-ring.
So the oil pickup tube has an O-ring that will develop cracks over time. When this happens the oil becomes aerated and begins losing oil pressure intermittently.
There are a couple tell tale signs. PM for more info.

Dan