The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   yet another air thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=644096)

highwinger 09-22-2014 05:14 PM

yet another air thread

I have the rear air in my 69 but it isn't sufficient, so I bit the bullet and ordered an Old Air Products system to tee into my existing system. So far, I've had a good experience with them. They built & shipped everything within a couple days. Now, I'm waiting for it to arrive on Wed. I have what appears to be a good resto shop doing the work. Hopefully, he'll get it all installed in a week or so. I have not heard anyone else on this forum using OAP, only Vintage. I can't wait to get it done.

Riveted1 09-22-2014 06:36 PM

Re: yet another air thread

Keep us posted... and we like lots of pics!!

LockDoc 09-22-2014 09:28 PM

-
Yes, Let us know how it works out...

LockDoc

72MARIO 09-22-2014 09:41 PM

I used old air. Its been months and they still have not returned my calls. I have problems with the box inside dripping water on the floor after extended use. The heater hardly puts any heat out. And if you driving in cool weather and it starts raining the defrost setting foggs up the windows with the Ac off. A returned call would be nice. I am sure they have solutions for these issues. I do like that the old air products system used factory controls. I wish it had adjustable tempature controll on the ac.

highwinger 09-23-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MARIO (Post 6853095)
I used old air. Its been months and they still have not returned my calls. I have problems with the box inside dripping water on the floor after extended use. The heater hardly puts any heat out. And if you driving in cool weather and it starts raining the defrost setting foggs up the windows with the Ac off. A returned call would be nice. I am sure they have solutions for these issues. I do like that the old air products system used factory controls. I wish it had adjustable tempature controll on the ac.

That's not good. I've know others the have used it in other type vehicles and loved them. One of the selling features is its serviceability. So, I'd hope they can resolve the problems.

oldair-jcm 09-23-2014 04:19 PM

Typically when there is water dripping out of an air conditioning unit such as the Old Air Products Hurricane System it is because the unit is producing an excessive amount of condensation on the coil and not draining out of the unit properly. This could be caused by a plugged evaporator drain tube or and excessive amount of moisture in the air forming condensation on the coil faster than it can drain out.
The Hurricane A/C Systems are a re-circulationg system so it is very important to make sure excess moisture can't get into the vehicle through bad weather stripping around doors or windows, bad seals in fresh air vents and/or gthrough bad grommets around the steering column, brake master cylinder, wire harness or any place that something passes through the firewall.

highwinger 09-23-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldair-jcm (Post 6853874)
...make sure excess moisture can't get into the vehicle through bad weather stripping around doors or windows, bad seals in fresh air vents and/or through bad grommets around the steering column, brake master cylinder, wire harness or any place that something passes through the firewall.

Uh oh...this pretty defines our other biggest problem :waah:

Good to see the mfg response!

72MARIO 09-23-2014 10:26 PM

Thanks for the response. I have actually put a piece of 3/8 dot air line inside the provided soft hose to prevent kinking. I am trying to cool a suburban with front Ac only and we did travel 6-9 hours each day. The front seat was cool but the 2nd row was hot the poor kids foreheads were sweating. Need to find a rear overhead Ac system and install this winter.

Now that fall is here in Ontario we need heat and defogg

Should I expect less heat from this unit vs factory ?

highwinger 09-30-2014 10:29 AM

The material came in promptly last week, but the shop can't get started until the end of this week. I'm gonna have them look at the windshield leaks too so the A/C won't have to combat the extra moisture.

We've had a bunch of rain this past week. It hasn't been fun without the A/C working. Can't wait to get this in and running.

highwinger 10-09-2014 04:14 PM

Picking up the burb tomorrow morning on the way to work :hot:. The popper relay location prevented the glove box installation, so I have a task still. That shouldn't be too bad. I hope to relocate the relays rather than cut the abs glove box.

I was surprised at how much air was coming out of the side vents, and that was on low. I'll be able to provide pics and a more thorough report tomorrow. We're still sunny and in the mid 80s so it is reasonable weather for testing.

highwinger 10-10-2014 08:50 AM

one word...ICEBURB :wave:

highwinger 10-23-2014 10:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
As promised, here's a couple install pics...post install & firewall paint touch up.

highwinger 10-23-2014 10:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
...and the vents & controls...

highwinger 10-23-2014 10:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
...the glove box area...I haven't actually installed the ABS glove box yet since the popper relays interfere.

highwinger 10-23-2014 10:29 AM

I am glad to have the rear air too. The front only isn't be enough on warmer days (90deg). Any other time it works great.

I haven't been able to get the heat very hot yet. I may have to change my thermostat to run a bit hotter. For instance, in the mornings where the window fogs, I tried the defrost and while it works for to clear the window, no way is it hot enough to heat the cab. Water temp is running 170ish even during the day. These are days where its still warm enough to ride with windows down. At worst it gets down to freezing here and it'll never make it on those (couple :lol:) days.

I guess blocking rad works too. Any other suggestions?

Bigdav160 10-23-2014 10:31 AM

I'd just install a higher temp thermostat.

Does the evap box limit the foot room? The pic might be deceiving.

highwinger 10-23-2014 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdav160 (Post 6889574)
Does the evap box limit the foot room? The pic might be deceiving.

No, I think its just the pic. But, I don't sit on that side. I'm sure it occupies less space overall. For instance, towards the middle where the heater box output was is gone completely, as is the engine compartment area. But it may have grown outward & upward some since the glove box is an inch or two smaller.

72MARIO 10-23-2014 07:08 PM

My heat and defog suck too. I run a 195. My suburban is only good for 3 or 4 months here in Ontario now. I had to park it in mid September. With limited defog and minimal heat. I am not very happy with my choice of aftermarket AC.

engairuph 10-23-2014 07:18 PM

Check your doors in the box to make sure they are opening fully. My 69 I had the door for the heat and a/c was opening half way so the heat was only luke warm. Now it will roast yo and I use a 185 themostat

72MARIO 10-23-2014 08:06 PM

I have checked the flaps and the valve inline of the heater hose. Everything is operating correctly

highwinger 10-23-2014 08:15 PM

Which aftermarket AC did you install?

72MARIO 10-23-2014 08:56 PM

Old Air Poroducts. I got the factory controls and vents.

72MARIO 11-03-2014 11:44 PM

Get any more heat yet ?

highwinger 11-04-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72MARIO (Post 6902926)
Get any more heat yet ?

It seems to be working ok. That's FL ok, not Canada ok :haha: I changed the t-stat to 180 deg (from 160). The engine temp is warmer now, so I suppose that helped.

We did get a cold snap like the rest of the East Coast getting down to the upper 40's. I had to turn the temp down on the controls to keep it from getting too hot on low fan.

I don't see how it will get as hot as factory heat with the smaller coils.

One down side to the heat vs. AC is there isn't a rear heat.

Any luck getting yours working better?

72MARIO 11-10-2014 10:29 PM

No luck... I wont even look at it till spring. I honestly was so upset with the defog function I took insurance off of it and parked it.

I don't know what the problem it. If I was to do it again I would spend twice the money to install a factory heat ac system.