The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kill Switch and Security Links...Enjoy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=364184)

70cst 09-24-2009 08:37 AM

Kill Switch and Security Links...Enjoy

MrBlue recently recently posted a question about how to deal with security issues when it comes to our trucks. As this is an important issue I thought I would post this info in a separate thread so others might benefit from this topic. MrBlue hope you don't mind tha offshoot from your post but you bring up an issue that comes up now and then and I thought this might get a little more exposure and help more people out.
This has been discussed at various times and I agree it is a very important issues for our trucks and our peace of mind. I have went back and searched for posts on this issue and for your review (at no charge )I have listed various threads that deal with the "Kill Switch" and " Security" questons. You will see repeated ideas but also new ideas. I hope this helps. My gift to you...As a matter of fact here is a cup of coffee from me...enjoy. :mm:

Easy no-hack hidden kill switch
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=330972

What is the best THeft Deturent?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2711638

Anti-theft methods???
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=318678

'cigar lighter' kill switch?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a.../t-274669.html

Suggestions on a kill switch set-up?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a.../t-309853.html

Need A Kill Switch Wiring Schematic
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=105722

mtdave2 09-24-2009 09:25 AM

Re: Kill Switch and Security Links...Enjoy

great bunch of info there.

the only problem i have is, any of us could bypass all this stuff with a screw driver and a wire with clips on both ends. clip to battery, then the to power side of hei, jump starter with screwdrive......perhaps some sort of hoodlock would go a long way

70cst 09-24-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtdave2 (Post 3535298)
great bunch of info there.

the only problem i have is, any of us could bypass all this stuff with a screw driver and a wire with clips on both ends. clip to battery, then the to power side of hei, jump starter with screwdrive......perhaps some sort of hoodlock would go a long way

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/battery.html

Good point mtdave2...
I am using the above along with the Club...I am also strongly leaning toward getting the "Lojack" . Hopefully this can become a sort of master thread on this topic.

68jewel 09-24-2009 10:26 AM

For what it's worth I have Lojack with the Early Warning Recovery System. In the event of a theft you will be notified directly via phone, email, and/or pager if your car is moved without your authorization so you can quickly check on your vehicle. If a theft has occured, the LoJack Early Warning Recovery System enables police to track and return your vehicle sooner. Lastly, sad to say it but when I drive my Chevelle (truck not finished yet), I don't drive it anywhere I have to get out of it and leave it and can't see it. Such as the shopping mall, grocery store, movies, etc. When I'm driving it, I cruise and stand somewhere near it and don't go too far like if I'm at the park, car show, etc.

Indyuke 09-24-2009 10:34 AM

I've been wrestling with the same point mtdave has made. What we need is one simple solution that NOBODY has EVER thought of and that NOBODY ever will, then we'd be golden.

right...

mclairmo 09-24-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68jewel (Post 3535388)
For what it's worth I have Lojack with the Early Warning Recovery System. In the event of a theft you will be notified directly via phone, email, and/or pager if your car is moved without your authorization so you can quickly check on your vehicle. If a theft has occured, the LoJack Early Warning Recovery System enables police to track and return your vehicle sooner. Lastly, sad to say it but when I drive my Chevelle (truck not finished yet), I don't drive it anywhere I have to get out of it and leave it and can't see it. Such as the shopping mall, grocery store, movies, etc. When I'm driving it, I cruise and stand somewhere near it and don't go too far like if I'm at the park, car show, etc.

I never leave my Camaro alone. Makes me too damn nervous. I end up just attending car shows where I can camp put next to it all day.

rwolf9653 09-24-2009 02:00 PM

Thanks 70CST for gathering all of that information into a single post. Everybody can be informed of all of the different options, and use their own judgement from there.

72Subby 09-24-2009 05:37 PM

I'd like to give a shout out to a product I used before and had a good experience with:

http://www.cardefender.com

VA72C10 09-24-2009 07:34 PM

Thanks for the links...

100mph 09-24-2009 10:26 PM

I went with the Grant anti theft system. Well I will be... painted it black but haven't installed it yet.

I figured with no steering wheel they might get it started but its not going too far and if heck if they're going to drag/tow it away not much more than lojack is going to help you.

Not sure how I'll feel about carrying around my steering wheel but we'll see how it goes

http://www.summitracing.com/search/b.../?autoview=SKU

70cst 09-24-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwolf9653 (Post 3535616)
Thanks 70CST for gathering all of that information into a single post. Everybody can be informed of all of the different options, and use their own judgement from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 3536108)
Thanks for the links...

Hey...I try and do one good deed a month. :lol: But really...you all get the thanks because w/o your input we wouldn't have these links to draw from. Thats what is great about this site...we all learn from each other. :metal:

rlm316 09-25-2009 02:05 PM

Some type of parking boot might be a good addition to the kill switch.

coopdeville 09-25-2009 05:23 PM

if they want it bad enough they will get it no matter how mugh stuff you have!

Mondo 09-27-2009 12:47 AM

I want a tiny LED flashing light on the dash that goes off when the truck's running and on when its turned off (I have this in my G35 coupe). That way they'll hesitate a little anyway.

Plus the kill switch.

hotrod100 09-27-2009 04:40 AM

I haven't read through all of the posts here so if this has been mentioned before I'm sorry. On my truck i have a hidden toggle switch that is grounded on one side and tied into the tach signal wire from the HEI on the other. When the switch is turned on it grounds out the circuit and prevents the coil from getting a pulse. No pulse equals no spark so even if the thief runs a power wire from the battery to the HEI it still wont start. This will work equally well with an external coil. Just hook the wire to the negative side of the coil.

70cst 09-27-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod100 (Post 3539587)
I haven't read through all of the posts here so if this has been mentioned before I'm sorry. On my truck i have a hidden toggle switch that is grounded on one side and tied into the tach signal wire from the HEI on the other. When the switch is turned on it grounds out the circuit and prevents the coil from getting a pulse. No pulse equals no spark so even if the thief runs a power wire from the battery to the HEI it still wont start. This will work equally well with an external coil. Just hook the wire to the negative side of the coil.

Thanks hotrod100...sounds like a another good idea. :metal:

VA72C10 09-27-2009 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondo (Post 3539486)
I want a tiny LED flashing light on the dash that goes off when the truck's running and on when its turned off (I have this in my G35 coupe). That way they'll hesitate a little anyway.

Plus the kill switch.

Here's a post on how to do the LED setup.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=141268

68monster 09-27-2009 04:58 PM

great post. thanks!

LostMy65 10-08-2017 05:14 PM

Subscribed.

Another member in these forums was able to recover his stolen truck because it had a trace or tracking chip or something.

Myoldtruck 10-08-2017 06:45 PM

The old way was to install a second high low beam switch on the floor and tie that into the ignition, or the two purple wires under the colum for the neutral safety switch. That being said this will only stop another honest person or some dumb kid.

The correct way is only to track down your truck once its gone. Mount a water proof box under the truck with a motor cycle battery, gps locater service and a standard car alarm. Gps will get you within 10-40ft of the truck, the car alarm will get you to the truck once the gps stops. You need to wire that battery with a one way charging loop, so it will charge off the cars system and will not back feed into the cars system when they disconnect the cars main battery.

I grew up in Philadelphia. Its take it or break it. You cant own anything real nice and drive it as a normal car.

WB72 10-10-2017 07:17 PM

Thanks for gathering this up for us.

One of the best deterrents is a 3 on the tree. Millennials will have no idea on how the drive one.

Andy4639 10-10-2017 07:54 PM

My transmission kill is one I like the best. They may get the motor to run but they want ever get the truck out of park.
It sit's to low to get to the transmission without a jack. It would take the right person to know which wire on the electric 4L80E transmission to straight wire to get it out of park.

They could drag it I guess but then what is the point.
:chevy:

PanelDeland 10-12-2017 10:54 PM

Talked to a guy at a cruise in a couple of weeks ago. He had a unit smaller than a pack of smokes. He took it out of the toolbox on his truck to show me and laid it on the rad support. About 2 min later he got an alert on his phone telling him "the Asset has been moved". He put it under the front seat and got another alert. He also showed me where the GPS in the unit mapped the trucks activity over a couple of days (he said it will hold quite a bit of time if he doesn't delete.) It also has a sensitivity adjustment so that if you have it on your boat and it's moored to a dock and moving around a bit, it doesn't constantly signal. He put it back in the toolbox and it alerted again. The packaging claims it needs line of sight to get a satellite signal but he claimed he's never not gotten one with it in the TB or under the seat. Costs about $100 at REI or Amazon and needs a subscription to work, about $10 a month. Just another arrow in the security quiver. BTW When I asked he said, If someone takes your truck, the system will tell you where they take it. Then you just call 911 and tell them your truck has been stolen and the address and that you are going to go get it. He said he also gives them his name and the number from his CPP. He hasn't had to use it yet but I doubt he will be alone when he picks up his truck.

Deej-79 10-12-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanelDeland (Post 8059722)
Talked to a guy at a cruise in a couple of weeks ago. He had a unit smaller than a pack of smokes. He took it out of the toolbox on his truck to show me and laid it on the rad support. About 2 min later he got an alert on his phone telling him "the Asset has been moved". He put it under the front seat and got another alert. He also showed me where the GPS in the unit mapped the trucks activity over a couple of days (he said it will hold quite a bit of time if he doesn't delete.) It also has a sensitivity adjustment so that if you have it on your boat and it's moored to a dock and moving around a bit, it doesn't constantly signal. He put it back in the toolbox and it alerted again. The packaging claims it needs line of sight to get a satellite signal but he claimed he's never not gotten one with it in the TB or under the seat. Costs about $100 at REI or Amazon and needs a subscription to work, about $10 a month. Just another arrow in the security quiver. BTW When I asked he said, If someone takes your truck, the system will tell you where they take it. Then you just call 911 and tell them your truck has been stolen and the address and that you are going to go get it. He said he also gives them his name and the number from his CPP. He hasn't had to use it yet but I doubt he will be alone when he picks up his truck.

Be careful with that last bit. When my motorcycle was stolen I was informed by the police that if I tracked it down it was a crime for me to recover it without a policeman there. Just an fyi for everyone, your state may vary.

A similar system can be made with an old cell phone, and a very basic cell phone plan. As long as the phone is charged, it can be tracked using its gps.

Shaky 10-13-2017 05:58 AM

In addition to a kill switch, I put a quarter-turn ball valve in my fuel line.

If you defeat the kill switch, the truck will still start with the fuel in the carb bowl, but it will only go about a quarter mile before running out of fuel. If you just stole it, you now have to try and diagnose why the truck won't run anymore...