The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help! need steering box for '67 C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765276)

Smitty550 06-08-2018 05:18 PM

Help! need steering box for '67 C10

I need a power steering gear box for my '67 C10, but was informed by my very knowledgeable mechanic that most of the gear boxes are of poor quality.

The former owner had installed power steering (for front-end drum brakes), and due to his death, I don't know if the box was new or not at the time of the upgrade from manual steering.

The Pitman and Idler arms have been replaced, but the steering gear box (and I would replace the rag joint at the same time) appears to be "toast." Tried a place called "Flaming River" online (reported to be a quality source), but they don't supply steering gear boxes for the '67.

I have numerous catalogs, but don't want to waste my time contacting any of them unless I can be assured that I will receive a unit that won't wear out right away. I have been told that too many boxes are "junk," and I am a relative newbie in the area of which companies can be trusted for higher-quality products. Or....should I check the local Chevrolet dealership?

So........any suggestions as to where to go to purchase the item (a power steering box for a 1967 C10) would make my day.

Thanks,

Smitty

LockDoc 06-08-2018 05:35 PM

Re: Help! need steering box for '67 C10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty550 (Post 8277511)
I need a power steering gear box for my '67 C10, but was informed by my very knowledgeable mechanic that most of the gear boxes are of poor quality.

The former owner had installed power steering (for front-end drum brakes), and due to his death, I don't know if the box was new or not at the time of the upgrade from manual steering.

The Pitman and Idler arms have been replaced, but the steering gear box (and I would replace the rag joint at the same time) appears to be "toast." Tried a place called "Flaming River" online (reported to be a quality source), but they don't supply steering gear boxes for the '67.

I have numerous catalogs, but don't want to waste my time contacting any of them unless I can be assured that I will receive a unit that won't wear out right away. I have been told that too many boxes are "junk," and I am a relative newbie in the area of which companies can be trusted for higher-quality products. Or....should I check the local Chevrolet dealership?

So........any suggestions as to where to go to purchase the item (a power steering box for a 1967 C10) would make my day.

Thanks,

Smitty

Basically any of the power steering gear boxes will fit the '67. The problem is that the '67 frame does not have the factory frame indentation to allow it to bolt in directly. You will have to indent the frame or add spacers between the steering box and the frame to make it work. There are quite a few threads on the subject if you do a search. Here is one thread you can check out....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365817

LockDoc

88gtstreetrod 06-08-2018 08:43 PM

As far as quality is concerned.. I just put in a gear box from LMC Truck on my 71.. Quality seems great.. it's exactly like the factory unit.. I only have about 100 miles on it.. Don't foresee any issues..

Robznob11 06-08-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty550 (Post 8277511)

Thanks,

Smitty

Bay far the best in the business is Red Head steering gear. As noted before you will need a spacer kit or a torch and BFH to dimple the frame. Also note that all boxes feel like they have play until the engine is running...so if it just sloppy feeling when you shake the linkage while parked and not running ...that is somewhat normal. Check it with the engine running.

Smitty550 06-09-2018 11:26 AM

Thanks Rob. The "play" in the steering wheel is apparent when driving or when the engine is stopped. Doesn't make a difference. Play is around 4 inches. The idler arm and Pitman arm were purchased from LMC. I'll check out Red Head (not familiar with them). I checked with Flaming River, but they don't carry steering gear boxes.

Which leads to the possibility of having the existing box rebuilt. Since it fits well to the frame, why not have the box rebuilt? Any ideas?

KQQL IT 06-09-2018 12:39 PM

Lee power steering in santa clarita ca may be another source.

http://leepowersteering.com

Robznob11 06-09-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty550 (Post 8277962)
Thanks Rob. The "play" in the steering wheel is apparent when driving or when the engine is stopped. Doesn't make a difference. Play is around 4 inches. The idler arm and Pitman arm were purchased from LMC. I'll check out Red Head (not familiar with them). I checked with Flaming River, but they don't carry steering gear boxes.

Which leads to the possibility of having the existing box rebuilt. Since it fits well to the frame, why not have the box rebuilt? Any ideas?

All boxes should fit the same. I'm telling you red head is the way to go . Better than stock and larger berings!

HO455 06-09-2018 05:03 PM

Lee steering is top notch. Bought my GTO's box from them in the early 90's. Got just what I wanted after talking to Lee on the phone for at least a half an hour. We decided what would be best and it has been flawless since.

BCOWANWHEELS 06-09-2018 05:07 PM

Any auto parts store sells them for right at 200.00 plus your core......

1968k20 06-09-2018 05:21 PM

Would you consider used?

HO455 06-09-2018 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS (Post 8278145)

Lee steering will be more than that. If I remember correctly it was $800 to have them rebuild my box and pump. I was building an autocross car and the second gen Trans Am box I had in it wasn't cutting the mustard.

Smitty550 06-09-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968k20 (Post 8278151)
Would you consider used?

Sure. My wife and I have a "getaway" place near Graeagle, but we won't be up there for a few months. Chester is not far away, and even if I find a new part elsewhere, I would enjoy meeting you to compare notes, etc. If you can shoot me a Private Message, I'll contact you either way. I'm a newbies on this site and haven't posted or received PMs, so I may require being led by the hand.

Smitty

Smitty550 06-09-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCOWANWHEELS (Post 8278145)

Might be worth checking into (which I will next week). Shipping charges for these relatively heavy items ain't cheap. In any event, I'll check with O'Reilly's or Pep Boys as to whether or not they offer the part, and (especially) if they offer a warranty.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't even considered shopping locally because the truck is now 51 years old, and I didn't think parts would be offered by the discounters. I'll also check with the local Chevy dealer.

Smitty

greasemonkey 06-09-2018 06:59 PM

I'd recommend a Lares brand rebuilt, $103 plus $75 core at rockauto. You can even choose your ratio, 4 turns or 3, depending on your preference. I switched to Lares for steering stuff after having nothing but terrible luck with Cardone. I have had great luck with their pumps too.

BCOWANWHEELS 06-09-2018 09:29 PM

Oreillys has life guarantee

1968k20 06-09-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty550 (Post 8278172)
Sure. My wife and I have a "getaway" place near Graeagle, but we won't be up there for a few months. Chester is not far away, and even if I find a new part elsewhere, I would enjoy meeting you to compare notes, etc. If you can shoot me a Private Message, I'll contact you either way. I'm a newbies on this site and haven't posted or received PMs, so I may require being led by the hand.

Smitty

I'll shoot you a pm!

franken 06-09-2018 10:04 PM

The dealer will bo of no use.
The nearest parts store will have the parts, but you can't ask for a 67 box since they didn't have PS (regardless of the questions about Cardone). If you want try 68, 69, etc. til you find a part. Use theire website.
Look for metal flakes in the fluid. If it's ther you need a rebuilt pump and new lines as well as a box to make sure the metal is out.

Smitty550 06-10-2018 10:27 AM

Thanks, Franken. I didn't think that PS was available for '67 C10s, but being a newbie, I didn't know if I should stop wasting my time trying to find a '67 gear box, or go for a '68 or newer. Come to think of it, the existing box must not be a '67, since if PS wasn't available for that year, the box must have come from a '68 or newer truck, and if this was the case, the modification to attach the box to the frame won't be apparent until the existing box is removed.

While we are on the subject, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a quick-ration box should be considered? Seems that the original steering wheel diameter was large because power steering was not an option, and it was easier to turn the truck with a larger steering wheel than with a smaller one. Frankly, I feel that a quick-ratio box would work well, especially if a smaller steering wheel were used. Does this make sense?

Smitty550 06-10-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greasemonkey (Post 8278216)
I'd recommend a Lares brand rebuilt, $103 plus $75 core at rockauto. You can even choose your ratio, 4 turns or 3, depending on your preference. I switched to Lares for steering stuff after having nothing but terrible luck with Cardone. I have had great luck with their pumps too.

Did you choose the quick-ratio (about 3 turns) or the regular ration (around 4 turns)? I had considered the QR box, but when I mentioned it to another truck owner, he pooh-poohed the idea of a QR box. What is your opinion?

greasemonkey 06-10-2018 12:12 PM

I prefer the quicker ratio box. I went to one when I went to a smaller wheel and wouldn't go back. It steers much faster than the original style box.

BCOWANWHEELS 06-10-2018 03:34 PM

q/r boxes are real darty

franken 06-10-2018 04:10 PM

All the 67-72 trucks had large diameter wheels. I never found a QR box darty. Chances are the toe was off.
Parts area: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=765332

Hart_Rod 07-11-2018 09:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put a RedHead 3.5 box on my suburban and absolutely love it!

bill3rail 07-11-2018 09:50 AM

Cordova Truck Dismantlers Inc. in Sacramento (916-366-6866) is showing a complete P/S changeover for $200.00. It may be what you are looking for.

Used power steering box are selling for $75. to $150. at junk yards in CA.

Also check Rock Auto for new and rebuilt units.

Good Luck!

Bill

Willys_MB 07-11-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill3rail (Post 8298934)
Cordova Truck Dismantlers Inc. in Sacramento (916-366-6866) is showing a complete P/S changeover for $200.00. It may be what you are looking for.

I live 20 minutes from here and never even knew they existed. Thanks!