The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   55.2-59 powered lowered I beam question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=793772)

Kevin_C 09-21-2019 09:52 PM

powered lowered I beam question

1 Attachment(s)
So I'm starting to prep for the Flat-out IFS install. The previous owner installed a lowered power I beam with a 5 lug disc brake conversion. Its a nice clean setup but I have no idea what to do with it. Any guess as to how much I should throw it on craigslist for? I know it has a really limited market but I hate to just trash it.

nvrdone 09-21-2019 09:56 PM

Re: powered lowered I beam question

id figure out what the cost of parts is & then put it up for about half that cost. should move quick.
Is that a power rack on that I beam? Ive wondered how they are set up and how they drive.How does the steering shaft expand and contract with the axle moving up and down?

Kevin_C 09-21-2019 10:31 PM

the shaft telescopes but I agree its a bit interesting. the engine was leaking oil pretty bad when I bought it so I just drove it around the neighborhood a couple of times. the power steering worked good but I never hit any real road bumps to see how the suspension worked.

mr48chev 09-21-2019 10:38 PM

That is a tube axle rather than an I beam. Still a guy is looking at some serous coin there with all that setup. I don't know how many guys we have within driving distance of you but I'd think there will be someone look at that and make you an honest offer in a PM. I won't post my opinion on price here but you can pm me if you want to know if you are in the ballpark with what I think.

1project2many 09-22-2019 08:42 AM

That's a neice setup. If there's no interest from the truck or hotrod crowd then you may have good luck selling that setup to the vintage racers. There's a big meet in June at NHMS.

MARTINSR 09-22-2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8597007)
That is a tube axle rather than an I beam. Still a guy is looking at some serous coin there with all that setup. I don't know how many guys we have within driving distance of you but I'd think there will be someone look at that and make you an honest offer in a PM. I won't post my opinion on price here but you can pm me if you want to know if you are in the ballpark with what I think.

Yep, that's one of those dropped tube axles with the forged ends that they sell on Speedway and others.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...Axle,5842.html

HONESTLY, Kevin, why change it? That is a great setup, what are your expectations of the truck, autocrossing? Really, that is a great setup! If you find there are some issues, it could simply be alignment or something. I would SERIOUSLY think about spending some time on that front end if there was an issue and running the wheels off that truck with a smile on your face just the say it is!

Brian

Kevin_C 09-22-2019 12:59 PM

Thanks Martinsr. when I bought the truck I was looking for a project that I could make my own. I never like to start with anything to original that would be a shame to cut up and this truck was already heavily modified. My original plan was for IFS and a 4 bar rear but along the way I switched to full C4 suspension using the Flat-out Engineering. The IRS is already installed and I have already purchased the IFS kit and components. Hopefully this front suspension can find a good home somewhere

regan56 09-24-2019 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_C (Post 8597246)
Thanks Martinsr. when I bought the truck I was looking for a project that I could make my own. I never like to start with anything to original that would be a shame to cut up and this truck was already heavily modified. My original plan was for IFS and a 4 bar rear but along the way I switched to full C4 suspension using the Flat-out Engineering. The IRS is already installed and I have already purchased the IFS kit and components. Hopefully this front suspension can find a good home somewhere

what lug pattern you have on there? im looking to get to somethin similar to what you have there but finding difficulties finding a 5x5 pattern for my orig spindles and disc brakes

Kevin_C 09-24-2019 01:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
its a 4&3/4 bolt pattern.