The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A couple ?'s about Nason Epoxy and Kirker Epoxy primers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=401991)

racin69z 05-10-2010 09:43 PM

A couple ?'s about Nason Epoxy and Kirker Epoxy primers

Hey guys,

The first question I have is about the Kirker enduro prime epoxy primer. For less than $100 for two sprayable gallons, is it too good to be true? Is it a good enough product to trust as the foundation for the entire paint job? I can get it in black, which would be nice, because I will know when to stop blocking the slick sand and Nason 2k Urethane. I also like the idea of black for rock chips on the undercarriage. I hate to see grey primer when the black paint chips off.

Second question, if i buy the kirker, I am going have a gallon of the grey nason sitting there which would be good for sealing right before paint. BUT, the tech sheet does not mention thinning it more for use as a sealer. I called the tech line and the guy acted like it was unheard of to thin an epoxy down for use as a sealer. I know the kirker and PPG primers can be done that way. Has anyone thinned the Nason down for use as a sealer?

Thanks
Lynn

8mpg 05-11-2010 01:49 PM

Re: A couple ?'s about Nason Epoxy and Kirker Epoxy primers

I have used their stuff and its easy to spray. My truck has been sitting in pieces over the last couple years with a mix of epoxy primed areas and their 2k. Holding up really well. The epoxy primer sands really easily. I really like it. The 2k is ok, doesnt sand quite as well, and you need a bigger tip to really spray it. Id recommend a cheap primer gun from Harbor freight just to spray the 2k. Id go with a 1.7mm tip.

Primer color really depends on what color you are going to paint your truck. I wouldnt use a black primer under a white paint job, etc..

LostMy65 07-27-2011 10:19 PM

I'm highly leaning toward SPI, but.......

How do you feel about kirker epoxy a year later?

Anyone else is free to weigh in also.

shortbed70 07-27-2011 11:10 PM

If your truck sits inside out of the weather I would be totally fine with epoxy prime but if it goes outside the sun will break down the bonding agents (turns chaulky) and will absorb moisture. I used eastwood's epoxy prime after blasting and then body work then 2k (mar-hyde primer) over it all..Mines been setting for two years and no troubles. I think 2k is 2k and epoxy is epoxy just really depends on the prefrence. I like to use one line of primers from bare steel to ready for paint.

LostMy65 07-28-2011 12:32 AM

How about the Kirker brand?

Any negatives or positives?

racin69z 07-28-2011 08:08 AM

I used the both the kirker and the nason on my truck. I liked the kirker. It sanded more like a urethane than it did a epoxy. But, I didn't sand too much because I didn't want to go back to bare metal. I liked that the kirker was black because I could see where I was at and not go to the metal.

Lynn