The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Front End for 1969 C-10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=299357)

mxracer55 07-14-2008 10:45 PM

Front End for 1969 C-10

Hey everyone, I just joined this site in hope to get some advice. I'm restoring a '69 C-10 from the frame up. I'm working on suspension set up right now, and I'm curious to the best method for the front end. In the rear I simply put in some McGaughy's 5" progressive rate drop springs. I'm hoping to acomplish a 4"-5" drop in the front, and I'm curious as to the different methods you can use. I also have a '67 Mustang which they make a complete front end kit from Total Control, set up with Rack and Pinion coal over shocks, upper lower A-arms the whole 9. I was wondering if you know of any companys that makes a system similar to the one mentioned above, or if you have any recomendations to help me achieve my goal. Thanks Ray

entourageguy 07-14-2008 11:06 PM

Re: Front End for 1969 C-10

Welcome ....
Might want to get the mods to move to correct forum where I'm sure you will get an answer to your question...

Riveted1 07-15-2008 02:34 PM

There are lots of possibilities here. You can go from no cost (cutting springs), to mid-priced (spindles, springs, disc brakes) to higher priced (air suspension). There are some custom setups too... Nathan Porter builds a custom front crossmember for these trucks, and I'm sure there are a few coil-over setups running around. Getting a 4-5" front drop can be painfully easy and cheap, or require some work and $$.... just depends on how you wanna do it. I find the search function works wonders here;)

mr48chev 07-16-2008 03:11 AM

As far as replacement cross members the Porterbuilt unit was the one I was going to suggest. It isn't a budget priced item but it solves several issues with lowering this model of truck.

You probably get 4-1/2 inches of drop pretty easy with a combination of dropped spindles and custom springs.

There was an article in one of the custom pickup rags a few years ago about a kit to notch the cross member to lower the frame rails an inch and a half into the crossmember. This would lower the truck an inch and a half with no suspension mods. It amounted to a pair of c channels to fit the cutout in the crossmember with holes drilled to match the original bolt holes and either a plate or instructions to raise the brackets for the upper control arms an inch and a half. you would also have to shorten the motor mount bracket an inch and a half. It would be a lot of work to do though for that inch and a half.