The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Good Buy? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748347)

hattrick66 10-12-2017 10:14 PM

Good Buy?

Hello Everyone!

I have been browsing here for a few weeks and there is a ton of great info. I found a truck that I am pretty excited about (first older truck), but also know that I need to be cautious. I am scheduled to look at this truck and was hoping to get some feedback here about what you guys all think. I know I need to look at certain areas for rust in particular, but does anything about this prompt you to ask additional questions? I simply have no experience in buying or owning older trucks and don't want to miss something and regret the purchase. Thoughts?

https://bellingham.craigslist.org/ct...342629630.html

Thanks in advance!
-Kevin

Husker 10-12-2017 10:23 PM

Re: Good Buy?

Look it over GOOD, crawl underneath check for rust, leaks etc.
looks like a nice truck I would think it is worth that.
Ron

davischevy 10-12-2017 10:28 PM

If what you can see suits you, get under the truck. The cab braces and inner rockers and floor will tell the story about the rest of the truck.

If the braces, inner rockers and cab corners are solid the rest of the cab is probably acceptable.

The AC compressor is missing. If AC is important to you, getting the AC working can be an expensive proposition if you have a shop do it.

The price doesn't look out of line, and he says he will negotiate.

What ever you decide, keep in mind, you will probably spend half the purchase price again before you are satisfied. I have never bought one that I didn't immediately start spending money on.

A similar truck sold here in the spring for $8,500. I talked to the new owner, and he said he has spent over $5,000 and hasn't started on the AC yet.

sduckworth13 10-12-2017 10:39 PM

Looks real nice!! Looks like they put a grille on it too, which aren't very cheap.

hattrick66 10-12-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 8059705)
If what you can see suits you, get under the truck. The cab braces and inner rockers and floor will tell the story about the rest of the truck.

If the braces, inner rockers and cab corners are solid the rest of the cab is probably acceptable.

The AC compressor is missing. If AC is important to you, getting the AC working can be an expensive proposition if you have a shop do it.

The price doesn't look out of line, and he says he will negotiate.

What ever you decide, keep in mind, you will probably spend half the purchase price again before you are satisfied. I have never bought one that I didn't immediately start spending money on.

A similar truck sold here in the spring for $8,500. I talked to the new owner, and he said he has spent over $5,000 and hasn't started on the AC yet.

Thanks for the reply! AC isn't super important here in the northwest, most houses don't even have AC. Maybe eventually I will get there, but I'm sure I will spend money elsewhere first.

I am prepared to spend some money on it going forward, but would mainly like it to get me the 6 miles to and from work every day while I make improvements.

Thanks again!

GASoline71 10-13-2017 10:26 AM

Nice lookin' rig. The seat and steering wheel are not original. Has a dash with no oil, water, volt gauges. Not rare, but not common. "Numbers matching" means nothing in old trucks.

First thing I would ditch are those weird looking steps. Price isn't too out of line. But shoot him a decent offer and see what he says.

Gary

35boulder 10-13-2017 10:32 AM

Looks nice overall. Is it just the picture or is the passenger door "sprung" or just not closed all the way? Anyway, good luck.

flashed 10-13-2017 02:46 PM

Worth it all day here where I am and if you buy and dont like those steps I could use them on mine , Im short and my k10 is a little tall.

hattrick66 10-13-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GASoline71 (Post 8059932)
Nice lookin' rig. The seat and steering wheel are not original. Has a dash with no oil, water, volt gauges. Not rare, but not common. "Numbers matching" means nothing in old trucks.

First thing I would ditch are those weird looking steps. Price isn't too out of line. But shoot him a decent offer and see what he says.

Gary

Yeah I will definitely update the seat cover at least and maybe the steering wheel later. But likely after I get comfortable with everything. I agree the steps need to go. Don't like the look at all and I'm 6'4" and doubt I'll need them.

hattrick66 10-13-2017 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 35boulder (Post 8059937)
Looks nice overall. Is it just the picture or is the passenger door "sprung" or just not closed all the way? Anyway, good luck.

Not sure. I noticed it too and will take a close look when I see it.

RenoKeene 10-13-2017 06:39 PM

Defiantly worth a good personal going over. Money might be right. Bring guns, flashlights, magnets and cash when you go to look at it.

Jcfcamaro 10-18-2017 07:49 PM

As all mentioned in the above. Front bumper looks like a 71/72. I'd ditch the steps and put some bigger wheels and tires. Would really bring her to life.

FleetsidePaul 10-18-2017 10:29 PM

Looks like a nice truck. I'd mostly worry what (if anything) was hiding under that shiny paint.

And there seems to be a bunch of wires behind the seat. Maybe for a sound system?? IDK.

But I'd check for any potential electrical demons.

cypressbog 10-19-2017 04:26 PM

Did you buy the truck? The owner of the ad removed it.