The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   tail gate questions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759596)

Pampas56 03-18-2018 11:13 AM

tail gate questions

2 Attachment(s)
I want to swap some parts from my donor truck tailgate to my truck. Not sure how easy to do or even if it is possible.

This is my tailgate.
Attachment 1764516

I want to replace the latch and trim from the other tailgate and try to fit the tailgate band as well.

Attachment 1764517

How hard is the swap and can the band be removed and installed without destroying it?

Thanks
Steve

Big Daddy Bear 04-11-2018 11:44 AM

Re: tail gate questions

I believe that tailgate band is attached by adhesive.

So to remove it, you would need to cut it free with a wire run between it and the metal, or possibly some heat from a heat gun may help it release.

I don't know if it is sturdy enough to detach without damage.

The handle should just be bolted in, and can probably be accessed from removing the inside skin of the tailgate, I would have to look at mine, but I believe it is just a cover that is removable for access.

Aside from the color difference, is just swapping tailgates and repainting to match not an option?

Pampas56 04-11-2018 03:38 PM

Repainting is an option, but matching the 30 years of abuse that the truck has gone through will make it a tough job.

Otherwise the tailgate will look like a pearl on a manure pile :lol:

Mr_Rich 04-11-2018 10:54 PM

Replacing the handle is the easy part. Remove the three Torx bolts on the inside and flip the detents off the catch rods on each side. Fifteen minute job. On that red tailgate you may have to destroy the plastic handle surround to remove it. They have some tabs that don't survive very well. That Chevrolet band may get destroyed if you try to remove it; not sure if they have repros now.

Big Daddy Bear 04-11-2018 11:13 PM

LMC lists a couple of tailgate emblems/banners in their catalog, but they don't look exactly the same as the one on your truck.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=76

Copy & paste the link into your browser and it should take right to the page, if it just goes to their catalog, it is on page 76.

Mr_Rich 04-12-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Bear (Post 8236300)
LMC lists a couple of tailgate emblems/banners in their catalog, but they don't look exactly the same as the one on your truck.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cd/full.aspx?Page=76

Copy & paste the link into your browser and it should take right to the page, if it just goes to their catalog, it is on page 76.

I just see the letter bands with the word "CHEVROLET" like a decal, not the metal one like the one on the red tailgate. I think those are the ones that are disc. I like that metal band because it's kind of like a reflector and stands out at night.

Big Daddy Bear 04-12-2018 11:33 AM

Correct, those were the closest I could find for him.

mountie 04-13-2018 08:14 AM

Go to Youtube.... search for "Tail Gate rod repair" ..'Latch repair'....

Good videos showing how to remove everything.

mingoman 04-13-2018 10:15 AM

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cd/CDTGB.htm

Awfully pricey, but they're out there.

Mr_Rich 04-13-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mingoman (Post 8237316)
http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cd/CDTGB.htm

Awfully pricey, but they're out there.

Wow! I didn't see that before. Too rich for me these days. I try to limit what I spend on my old truck now since the value means little except to me.

Pampas56 04-13-2018 06:49 PM

Since 200 bucks is a good portion of what I spent for the parts truck, I am going to forgo the tailgate band and just try to change the latch and cover without breaking things.

I really appreciate the info and searches for the new parts.

This site ROCKS!!

Thanks
Steve

fredscarryall 04-14-2018 01:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I used to work at a gm body shop in the 90s. Gm had a warranty problem with there paint and we would have to completely paint 2 to 3 entires truck a week and part of my job was to remove tailgate bands . I had to make them reusable because gm was to cheap to replace them. The tailgate band are double stuck with 1 inch double stick around the boarder. I used a thin plastic putty knife ( you can use a metal putty knife if you don’t care about the paint or metal tailgate, but you have to be extra careful), a heat gun and a lot of patience. It’s bends and creases really easy,so be careful. Use prepall, wd40 to soften up the double stick left over on the back of the tailgate band that you can’t peel with your fingers. Then use some 1/2 inch 3m double stick to put it back on ( I tried the cheaper double stick, but it ends up coming off) hope this helps. I dont know how hard it is to remove after 20 some years though.

Mr_Rich 04-14-2018 10:47 PM

Auto body paint stores sell a tool that works great for removing the old stick-um off paint surfaces. The K2500 I have had bad molding on the lower third of the body so I pulled it off and used "the tool". It simply is a big round eraser that fits in your drill chuck and you can rub off the glue/ tape residue. I had to charge the battery on my drill 3X to remove all the old double-side tape crud off the finish. This is what auto body shops use as well. I learned some of these tricks from a friend of mine who's painted cars and trucks for a living ~50 years.

mingoman 05-11-2018 03:42 PM

After much thought I decided to take my chevrolet band off. The tailgate is in great shape and I thought about just leaving it on, but it seemed wrong to finish this up and have gmc all over it except the tailgate.
I was able to remove mine without any damage to the band or tailgate. I let it sit out in the sun all morning then used a drywall knife to slide along under the band. Just go slow and it's a breeze.
I'll post a picture of how I did this if I can find out why I keep getting an error each time I try.
Anyone else missing a security token? I never knew I even had one.

mountie 05-11-2018 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mingoman (Post 8259162)
After much thought I decided to take my chevrolet band off. The tailgate is in great shape and I thought about just leaving it on, but it seemed wrong to finish this up and have gmc all over it except the tailgate.
I was able to remove mine without any damage to the band or tailgate. I let it sit out in the sun all morning then used a drywall knife to slide along under the band. Just go slow and it's a breeze.
I'll post a picture of how I did this if I can find out why I keep getting an error each time I try.
Anyone else missing a security token? I never knew I even had one.

"Security Token"...... I had the same weird problem.... I then browsed & then, uploaded, one attachment at a time. ( Try that)

mingoman 05-11-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountie (Post 8259165)
"Security Token"...... I had the same weird problem.... I then browsed & then, uploaded, one attachment at a time. ( Try that)

I tried, but got the same error.

mountie 05-11-2018 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mingoman (Post 8259325)
I tried, but got the same error.

It happened to me, from time to time... no explanation...

Big Daddy Bear 05-12-2018 02:35 AM

Pictures are too big. Resize or add one or two at a time.

mingoman 05-12-2018 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Bear (Post 8259496)
Pictures are too big. Resize or add one or two at a time.

I've posted quite a few pics and never had a problem unless something on here has changed I don't think that's it.
I looked up missing security token online and it's been a problem at several different forums though I never did see the fix.

Big Daddy Bear 05-12-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mingoman (Post 8259554)
I've posted quite a few pics and never had a problem unless something on here has changed I don't think that's it.
I looked up missing security token online and it's been a problem at several different forums though I never did see the fix.

As have I, but they were with a different camera that had settings that took smaller sized pictures.

But when posting pictures on my latest project build thread, I kept getting that error message also until I either resized the pictures smaller or reduced the number I was trying to post.

So that is what worked to prevent that message from popping up for me, so that is why I sugguested to try it.

mountie 05-12-2018 12:44 PM

I just tried to ad a photo to my earlier post... I got the warning....

I was fine yesterday ( and photos are same size)

Big Daddy Bear 05-12-2018 12:47 PM

Interesting, maybe contact one of the administrators then and have them look into it.

Haven't had anything new happen yet with the truck that warranted pictures, so haven't had to try and post any...

mingoman 05-13-2018 09:11 AM

Russians?

mountie 05-13-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mingoman (Post 8260198)
Russians?

Facebook algorithm ? :chop:

Big Daddy Bear 05-13-2018 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:mm: