The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Replacing my Mirrors, and removing window crank. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=380721)

89muscletruck 01-12-2010 01:06 AM

Replacing my Mirrors, and removing window crank.

I scored a set of 88-94 SS mirrors today off a guy on Kijiji. Man I love that site!
But when I went to try to instal them I could not figure out how to take the door panel off so I could change out the mirrors. I understand that the panel just snaps off, but in order to do that one first must to remove the window crank.
However, I could not figure out how to saftly remove the window crank. It has no screws holding it on, so am I correct in assuming that it is just a matter of prying the handle off? I tried to take it off but I was afraid to pull them off for fear of breaking them before I got someone to confim how to take the handles off.
So can anyone help me here? Do the window cranks just pry off with enough effort?

Restrorob 01-12-2010 09:59 AM

Re: Replacing my Mirrors, and removing window crank.

Pretty sure there's a clip on the inside of the handle that must be removed first, Take a look at this link and see if it's of help;

http://www.coloradofans.com/forums/v...ic.php?t=20742

When ready to re-install the handle slide the clip back into the handle groove first then pop the handle back on.

BIGphillip79 01-12-2010 03:34 PM

there is a little clip that holds it on. the tool to get it on and off is like 5 bucks at an any parts house or you can use a coat hanger and make a hook to get it off.
heres a video how to do it.

89muscletruck 01-13-2010 07:08 PM

thanks for the help!
got me one of those remover tools, now to see if it works...
pics comming soon.

ChevLoRay 01-13-2010 07:53 PM

Now the fun comes when you try to negotiate those three nuts that hold the mirrors on. In my golden years, I find that there are some tools that become much more interesting and useful. I went to Lowe's and bought a set of metric/american sockets that actually fit into/onto a flex head ratchet and allow the stud to go through the hole in the socket. I believe they are called "Flex Thru" sockets. Seems I spent about $40 for the set, but they became invaluable to me. You may be nimble enough and/or have tools that would work, already. My tough nut was the one that is the farthest away from the access hole. Oh, there's one nut down in each one of my front doors....if I ever find that I need to get one and can't find 'em anywhere else. I have spares...

89muscletruck 01-14-2010 11:21 PM

Nah it wasnt too bad to take the nuts off, I just had to use a lonch wrecnh to get the one furthest into the door, and a socket with a long extensio to get the rest. Although I was VERY carefull to noe lose a nut down the door, cause my used mirrors did not come with them.
Actually the hardest part was figuring out how to take the top of the inner panel off the doow itself, but once I figured that out it did not take ot long.
I have pics, but my personal computer has decided to take a holiday to the repair shop, hopefuly I will get it back tomarow.

89muscletruck 01-16-2010 01:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
well these are the pics
the first one was the mirrors after getting them, they look pretty good for $40, they even happeed to be the right colour.
the second is a poor attempt at showing how the truck loooks with the drivers mirrior installed
I did have one worry though, as the mirriors have a void right where the window meets the mirror. I was worried that this could cause moisture problems but I don't think that it will cause any problems. Does anyone else who is using these types of mirrors have this gap?