The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Windshield wiper arms (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=321157)

munchieu 12-29-2008 02:53 PM

Windshield wiper arms

How do you remove them? there way out of adjustment and need to lowerd more to the bottom of the windshiled. Also I tried getting new blades for them and cant seam to find the ones that fit or ones that are the gray color. just black. So do i just replace the rubber blade part? whats the part number and where can i get them.

BMSJaX 12-29-2008 08:49 PM

Re: Windshield wiper arms

You can remove the entire arm with a flat head screw driver were it mounts at the base. If you just want the wiper off it just a little clip like thing that you pull on with the tip of your finger and it should slide off. I got replacement wipers(black) at kragen but the fit loosely and during our rain last week the passenger side just broke right off! I'm looking to see if I can find arms off another year C10 that fit and hold the wiper blades better. You could be able to take the rubber off the black blades and put it on the ones you have. Just depends on how dedicated you are on keeping the ones you have.

Old School Kid 12-29-2008 09:09 PM

I was just about to order some arms for my 65. ( I currentlly have no arms or blades, not good in the rain!) I was wondering, can I order just the arms and go to a local store and find the whole blades the correct length.. I'm not sure if this is what you were asking or if you were just using REFILLS. Thanks ( I take it the arm just pushes on and you adjust by removing and trying in a little different postion)

LILRED66 12-30-2008 01:30 AM

If you are looking for factory-looking reproductions, try:

www.bowtiebits.com
www.lmctruck.com
www.oldchevytrucks.com
www.classicparts.com
www.truckandcarshop.com
www.ecklerstrucks.com
www.brotherstrucks.com

The factory wiper arms and blade carrier assembly are stainless steel and the blades are black rubber. I have never found the correct reproductions at a FLAPS, as least in my area. The factory blades are 13" and I have bought the refills closest to 13" and trimmed them to fit properly.

munchieu 12-30-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMSJaX (Post 3053636)
You can remove the entire arm with a flat head screw driver were it mounts at the base. If you just want the wiper off it just a little clip like thing that you pull on with the tip of your finger and it should slide off. I got replacement wipers(black) at kragen but the fit loosely and during our rain last week the passenger side just broke right off! I'm looking to see if I can find arms off another year C10 that fit and hold the wiper blades better. You could be able to take the rubber off the black blades and put it on the ones you have. Just depends on how dedicated you are on keeping the ones you have.

same here, but mine didnt break. the refils are junk. tried a few and there loose like you said. guess i'll have to change the rubber blade only

66customcamper 12-30-2008 12:42 PM

I always bought Anco 13" refills at a local parts house until last fall. Can't remember why now (getting old), but at the same store I bought new blade carriers (also Anco brand) which were black, not stainless like the originals. The guy at the parts store gave me a couple little plastic "shims" to use which insert between the arm and the blade carrier where the arm slides into it which make it a nice tight fit.

BMSJaX 12-30-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old School Kid (Post 3053682)
I was just about to order some arms for my 65. ( I currentlly have no arms or blades, not good in the rain!) I was wondering, can I order just the arms and go to a local store and find the whole blades the correct length.. I'm not sure if this is what you were asking or if you were just using REFILLS. Thanks ( I take it the arm just pushes on and you adjust by removing and trying in a little different postion)

Ya the arm just pushes on and if its not right you pop it off and try again. Try turning on your wipers and watching the little "nubs" and when the passanger side stops moving clockwise and the drivers side stops moving counter-clockwise(looking from the outside) that is the full down position. Put the arms and blades on positioning the blades at the bottom of the windshield. The correct blade length is 13" I get mine at Kragen for about $10 a piece I think. The only problem is the slot in the blade that the arm slides into is wider than the arm itself so it wiggles around alot when you use them and I had one just break off while I was driving. Not sure is Autozone has a different brand that fits the arm better.

cedorris 03-18-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMSJaX (Post 3053636)

I've removed the silver clip with the a screw driver, but I can seem to pull the wiper arm off. Any recommendations on how to do this without damaging anything?

mmmmoore24 08-02-2010 02:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cedorris (Post 3205232)
I've removed the silver clip with the a screw driver, but I can seem to pull the wiper arm off. Any recommendations on how to do this without damaging anything?

It's been a while since these questions were posted, but I'm just getting to reading them now while working on my 1970. From looking at your twitter feed (cedorris), it looks like you're well past this stage, but maybe it will help some others who are just encountering this.

The wiper arms are held on by a small clip (as stated earlier in this thread), which can be pried and held open by a flathead screwdriver. While you have this clip pried open, you can use the claw end of a hammer to pry the wiper arm off the mount. Note that I didn't place anything between the screwdriver and the cowl or the hammer and the cowl, because I'm going to be painting this thing later anyway, so I'm not particular about the paint. If you do have nice paint already, you may want to put a thin piece of wood (paint stirstick works well) or something between the tools and your paint. Also be careful when prying the wiper arm off the mount, so you don't damage the arm itself.

Once the arms are off the mounts you should find that things look like the last picture. When re-mounting the arms, be sure to align the arms so they travel along their original path (grease pencil can help with this). On my truck, the wipers had been in place so long that I had a nice little crust of dirt to indicate where the wiper blades should go, and it was easy to re-install them properly!

bubba327 03-11-2011 12:48 AM

I watched a guy use a pink school eraser and a old school style can opener.Same method as the claw hammer method. The eraser saves the paint job.:chevy:

Mtodd84 06-24-2013 02:28 AM

Does anyone know if wiper arms off a 96 1500 would fit on a 71 c10
Posted via Mobile Device

Mtodd84 06-24-2013 02:34 AM

I have the originals and bought refills for it but having issues with them and was considering using the hook style arms
Posted via Mobile Device

Hatzman 03-02-2014 12:34 AM

Thanks for the great info! Just FYI, if you haven't had to do this yet, it sucks without the tool for it. It ruins the paint on your truck if you use a hammer and such... Buy the 15 dollar tool and save yourself the aggravation. Thanks again!

luvbowties 03-02-2014 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66customcamper (Post 3055252)
I always bought Anco 13" refills at a local parts house until last fall. Can't remember why now (getting old), but at the same store I bought new blade carriers (also Anco brand) which were black, not stainless like the originals. The guy at the parts store gave me a couple little plastic "shims" to use which insert between the arm and the blade carrier where the arm slides into it which make it a nice tight fit.

I've found if I look up the part# I need online & take it to local store, they can/will order it for me. I wanted Tri-Co with the knurled adjustable-angle for the blade itself(ones I ordered online did not fit parallel to bottom of w-shield when off; needed that knurled-adjustable type, & now they lie good & look good.) plus in the 13" length, and Adv. A-Parts ord'd them for me. Found no one seems to carry 13" in stock!
Sam