The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Removing Radiator Support Rods (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765340)

wphilli1 06-09-2018 11:02 PM

Removing Radiator Support Rods

Hi Guys,

Silly question time, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience removing the rods connecting to the radiator support behind the grill on a '58? I'm not sure what they're called. I am looking to add a pusher fan to supplement my mechanical one on very hot days or when stuck in traffic, and I need a few extra inches to fit the one I have on hand. Just wondering if its a terrible idea or not. :cf:

Thanks a lot,
Wylie

MARTINSR 06-09-2018 11:20 PM

Re: Removing Radiator Support Rods

Someone will get you the exact info as I don't have a 58, but a 48. But I believe they are the same and riveted on. You will have to grind off the head of the rivet and then knock the rivet out of the hole with a punch and hammer.

Brian

Black_Sheep 06-09-2018 11:41 PM

My '58 has not had that brace for 10+ years, no problem.

MARTINSR 06-10-2018 12:27 AM

And I never had them on my 48 since when I bought it in 74.

Brian

wphilli1 06-10-2018 01:17 PM

Cool guys, I figured I'd be ok but its better to check before cutting I've learned. Haha. Time to get out the death wheel then!

mr48chev 06-10-2018 03:37 PM

At worse case you will gain a few squeaks and rattles that you didn't have before. They do take some of the stress off the radiator or it does put a bit more on it when they are gone.

On the other hand we don't tend to drive our fixed up trucks over the rough roads and trails or fields that were the norm for them in their fist life. They may not be as necessary as the trucks probably don't get treated the way they did back then.

MARTINSR 06-10-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8278689)
At worse case you will gain a few squeaks and rattles that you didn't have before. They do take some of the stress off the radiator or it does put a bit more on it when they are gone.

On the other hand we don't tend to drive our fixed up trucks over the rough roads and trails or fields that were the norm for them in their fist life. They may not be as necessary as the trucks probably don't get treated the way they did back then.

Very true, the engineers didn't put them there because they had nothing to do that afternoon. :mm:

Brian

my56chevytruck 06-10-2018 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wphilli1 (Post 8278342)
Hi Guys,

Silly question time, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience removing the rods connecting to the radiator support behind the grill on a '58? I'm not sure what they're called. I am looking to add a pusher fan to supplement my mechanical one on very hot days or when stuck in traffic, and I need a few extra inches to fit the one I have on hand. Just wondering if its a terrible idea or not. :cf:

Thanks a lot,
Wylie

Sorry no 58 but I did remove the cross bracing rods to my 56. Do you have a puller fan setup?

mikebte 06-11-2018 11:55 AM

Good question. I was literally about to remove mine to install an A/C condenser and was unsure of my actions.

_Ogre 06-12-2018 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok. i'll ask the obvious... do you have a shroud on your fan?
most fan shrouds are long gone by the umpteenth owner
fyi this is what a oem tf shroud looks like

not sure how a pusher will work with an oem puller
it may just block the air in the off position
rather than mess with the bracing holding the front end on
use a shroud or use an electric puller no oem fan

Speedbumpauto 06-12-2018 04:50 PM

"Very true, the engineers didn't put them there because they had nothing to do that afternoon."

That may be true, but it wouldn't be the first time something was added due to faulty science or changing science where we learn things we didn't know we didn't know.

wphilli1 06-13-2018 08:52 PM

Thanks again guys,

The truck doesn't overheat except n very hot days or if I'm idling for a long time. I bought the electric fan when I went to Fitech EFI so the efi could control the fan and to free up a little power the non-clutch mechanical fan was robbing, but it didn't end up fitting as it hit the water pump pulley by a quarter inch. Anywho, I just had the fan sitting around and thought I might put it to good use. It's already in as of last night and working fine, no extra squeaks I've noticed yet!