The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   Dakota Dig. BIM-01-2 info for Gen IV (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=795764)

bigmoe 10-29-2019 09:34 PM

Dakota Dig. BIM-01-2 info for Gen IV

I'm considering some Dakota Digital Universal gauges for my 65 GMC. The GMC has a big instrument cluster opening I could make a plate to mount a gauge package to. I'd like to use Dakota's Bim-01-2 module through the OBDII to read ecm info for the gauges. Does anyone know if the Gen IV (08 Tahoe 5.3 LMG) will have oil pressure reading through the ecm? How about gear position from the 4L60e? I asked Dakota tech but they didn't know and said I could check using a scan tool through the OBDII but I don't even have my motor installed yet.
Here's one possible set I'm looking at:
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd847.htm

kipps 10-29-2019 10:05 PM

Re: Dakota Dig. BIM-01-2 info for Gen IV

I've got an alldata subscription for a 2010 Tahoe with a LMG engine and a e38 engine control module(ecm). Your engine is likely similar.

The oil pressure sender has three wires. 5-volt reference, low reference(ground), and a signal wire. All three go directly to the ecm. I'm told that the oil pressure is easy to see when checking the ecm with a scan tool.

I seriously doubt if the ecm has any idea what gear is engaged. There's no direct pinouts dedicated to this purpose. The only way it would get this info is over the GMLAN data lines(tan and tan/black). But again, this is only guessing.

72MARIO 10-30-2019 01:03 PM

my 2004 pcm shows all gear positions except park using that module and my hdx gauges.

bigmoe 10-30-2019 02:30 PM

Cool. Looks like this will work out. Only down side is the expense.

72MARIO 10-30-2019 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmoe (Post 8618641)
Cool. Looks like this will work out. Only down side is the expense.

haa.....the expense of the gauges or module ? module is well worth the price. imo for.the simplicity of.gauge installation. The gauges are expensive

bigmoe 10-30-2019 02:40 PM

The gauges. Not sure which set I will get but they range from $765 to $845. Plus I have to make a surround.

sprint_9 10-30-2019 06:59 PM

I have the exact combo you are looking at.

I cant help much on gear position as Im not utilizing the black box on the side of transmission. If your harness is stock or has that built in there is a better chance of that working. It seems to me though that on the newer ones that this info went to the bcm, but that could be wrong.

A few things I can confirm, Ive only ran through a little bit with mine as I just got it hooked up and going a couple weeks ago. I can confirm that I have water temp, oil pressure, transmission temp, and the tach through the BIM. Speed most likely works too, but cant confirm as I ran a dedicated VSS wire for speed and am using that so I have a speedometer when tuning with the obd2 port. There may be other readings that I havent ran across yet, but the important ones are there.

First c10 10-31-2019 11:08 AM

I have the BIM-01-2 connected to my HDX gauge set. I received the same info regarding the oil pressure issue. I just put a tee inline(at the stock sensor behind the intake) and connected the oil pressure sender that came with the kit.
I have everything working including the gear selector. My combo is a 2008 LY4 4L60 with a 1990 NP241C transfer case with the VSS in the transfer case.
The cost is a little high for the gauges but the ease of getting all the data in one location is awesome. I only had to run 2 wires into the engine bay that was for the oil sender.
I have used the VHX before and it is working great but love the HDX series.
I get:
Speed,Tach,Volts,Water temp,oil pressure,trans temp,gear selection
and bunch more if I scan for them in the menu.

I hope this helps.

jnickell41 10-31-2019 11:34 AM

I have an engine trans from an '07 TBSS with E67 ECM. While an OBDII scanner picked up oil pressure, the DD OBDII BIM did not. I had to run the DD sender and wire.

I am using the stock wiring harness and was able to get gear position to work using the stock NSS (24221125).

kipps 11-02-2019 07:41 AM

To edit my post above: I was browsing some alldata stuff, and realized the ecm does know what gear is selected.

Quote:

PRNDL Display

The IPC displays the selected gear position as determined by the ECM. The IPC receives a serial data message from the ECM indicating the gear position. The PRNDL display blanks if:

The ECM detects a malfunction in the transmission range switch circuit.
The IPC detects a loss of serial data communications with the ECM.
Evidently, the prndl position is bounced through a lot of modules before being displayed.

Transmission Control Module --> Engine Control Module --> Body Control Module. Here, it switches to low speed data, and goes to the Instrument Panel Cluster.